Suggesting facial waxing to clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents!
Need some advice or tips please!
I do a lot of lash extensions and as some of you may know when you sit behind a clients head you can see their face at a different angle-I've recently noticed a couple of clients could really do with a lip wax!

I'm not an up-seller as I don't want clients thinking I want them to have something done just for the money but I don't want them walking round with hairy lips/Chins.
I really just don't know how to approach the subject. If you had a hairy lip/chin and your beautician suggests having it waxed would you feel embarrassed? I think I would especially if I hadn't noticed!
Do you have any hints or tips please?
I've also had a client that recently now has hairs on her lip & chin area that are grey. She only has her nails done for occasions so it's not like she's even had a treatment on the bed. I'm really struggling with this as I can't believe she hasn't ever noticed the hairs.
I think most people do or have thier brows done so this wouldn't be so embarrassing to suggest, but for lip, chin maybe even sides of face where hair is not expected to show I feel awkward about telling clients.

Could you try something like
'Try a lip wax for free' when you spend xxx on eye treatments?
Tell the client about it and then wait for her to show interest.

No just ask them. I found a lot of clients where so happy when I suggested a brow tint or wax etc they especially older clients can't see too well so they really appreciate the suggestion. You may find one or so clients get upset but majority won't.

I casually say for ex when doing lashes I say "are we tinting brows today ? " usually they reply yes. Then add while I am here lets do your waxing to save you coming in again next week.

Or something like: CFBS has suggested could be nice too except that the client might not be aware she needed it.

I have an older client who comes religiously for her environ facial every 4 weeks sometimes 3.5weeks cos she loves them so much and always buys a product after she leaves. So I don't charge her for lip wax (brow shape included in the facial price anyhow).

I have just produced an offer for next month of brow Waxing when having nails. Hoping this will get ladies that just have nails an experience of trying a 'bed' treatment.
That is the problem I have though, suggesting waxing to clients that are not aware they need it. Especially the lip area....[emoji53]

I would die if that was suggested to me.

I was taught in college to suggest a lip wax to someone if they needed it. I stood there laughing saying there was no way to say it without being offensive. Many years later, I have found a way. Yes, you need the client on the couch. It's definitely not something you can say when you're doing their nails!!!
I'll say along the lines of 'there are a couple of hairs just here (as I gently touch the side of the lip). Would you like me to get them for you?'
However, I have quite an upfront manner with my clientele. I told one client she was beautiful but needed her lip waxed. She said "oh I thought I'd got away with it" to which I replied "no you haven't". [emoji23]

We all find our own style and manner and its trying to find what works for you. Some people say it doesn't bother them and so obviously I leave it. Sometimes I talk about an article I read some years ago that said "don't fool yourself. If you're over 40 you need your lip waxed". Clients laugh and say "do I need mine doing" and I go through the rigmarole of looking through the lamp and say "ooh maybe. I could do it today and you can see if your make up sits better". What I really want to say is YES!!! Your lip needs waxing xxx

To quote squidgernetball above: "I'll say along the lines of 'there are a couple of hairs just here (as I gently touch the side of the lip). Would you like me to get them for you?'"
This is exactly how I do it too!!

I also sometimes say " there's enough there on the top lip for me to do today - shall I do it?" then whip on the wax double quick!

Last edited:
Squidger you telling the client they hadn't got away with it made me laugh out loud!
I will give it a go this week (if I spot any hairy lips)
I just hope I don't upset anyone, hopefully a gentle suggestion will make them want it done there and then as after finding that out surely there can't be many people that leave with hairs still in place?!
I won't suggest it while doing nails!!! [emoji38]

Great question and good tips! The amount of times I have really wanted to wax someone's top lip but have never had the guts, or even known how to suggest it without offending them!

Squidger you telling the client they hadn't got away with it made me laugh out loud!
I will give it a go this week (if I spot any hairy lips)
I just hope I don't upset anyone, hopefully a gentle suggestion will make them want it done there and then as after finding that out surely there can't be many people that leave with hairs still in place?!
I won't suggest it while doing nails!!! [emoji38]
But don't forget, some people have the hairiest lip but don't want it waxed. I mean WTF - but there's nowt as queer as folk [emoji23]

Great wording Squidgernetball. Do you give them the first one for free or do they understand they have to pay? X

Great wording Squidgernetball. Do you give them the first one for free or do they understand they have to pay? X
I usually charge everyone but something like this does depend on their spend. If they're spending £150 on treatments and a load of skincare, then no, I wouldn't charge, but if they're spending a tenner then yes maybe ( I say that but probably wouldn't first time).

I do find clients say things like "ooh have you got time to quickly do my eyebrows as well?" Then get surprised when you add it to their bill!!!!

Vic x

I would say that a good two thirds of my clients always end up having something extra on top of their original booking. E.g. Eyebrow wax, tint, mini mani/pedi.
This is one of the reasons I allow 15mins between appts so I can always say Yes.
I always charge- no guilt there!!

Cfbs I get this too- people wanting add ons. I don't mind but if I don't have time i wonder why they didn't ask when they booked so they can get what they want.
I think if I suggested it I wouldn't charge as some people may say no if they don't wanna pay that much more (£6) but I would say maybe at the end- "I won't charge for the lip wax this time but see how you go-most people come back every few weeks"
That might add a bit of sweetness to the fact I've just ripped hair from thier face [emoji15]

Cfbs I get this too- people wanting add ons. I don't mind but if I don't have time i wonder why they didn't ask when they booked so they can get what they want.
I think if I suggested it I wouldn't charge as some people may say no if they don't wanna pay that much more (£6) but I would say maybe at the end- "I won't charge for the lip wax this time but see how you go-most people come back every few weeks"
That might add a bit of sweetness to the fact I've just ripped hair from thier face [emoji15]

If I have suggested something e.g."would you like me to wax your chin today" and they say "Yes please" then I feel fully justified in charging! ;) he he!
I think of the add-on treatments like Impulse Buying - they don't know they want it until they see it available...lol!!

if I gave them it for free, they might expect it included every time...:(

Last edited:
Thanks Vic and everyone who gave their thoughts on charging.

I would feel terrible if they took me up on it thinking it was a freebie and then got a shock at the till lol.

Good idea about saying this one is on me and if you like the look then you can book yourself in for it next time x

If a waxer said I had a couple of hairs and did I want them removed I actually would not expect to be charged.

Latest posts

Back