Sum up/izettle/PayPal card machines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
I know there's loads of card machine posts on here and ive had a read through them.
I think this sum up card machine is quite new as I've not seen much about it on here.
They've a deal on atm for £39 for the terminal, they charge 1.95% and it says it takes 3-6 days to go into your account. I was wondering if anyone has this machine and how long it does usually take?
It may seem petty but at the moment I can take cash/cheque and pay it straight into the bank at the end of the week, if a card payment is going to be 6 days I'll worry about it!
Also I've seen a lot of people recommend izettle but my friend uses it and I think that takes a while to appear in bank account again?
I've also looked at PayPal as payments are pretty much instant, but it's 2.75% and 20p per transaction.
I can't find what's the best deal. Any help would be much appreciated! Thankyou all x

I use sum up, it's a good little machine. It does go through a lot of batteries and no warning of when the old ones are running out which is annoying as it means the card payment you are trying to put through will fail until you change them.

It's easy to keep track of payments and their customer service has been really good and quick. It can take up to 6 days for payments to start coming through, but a lot of the time it's only 3 days. I've never had a missed payment or had any need to worry.

PayPal is pretty much instant but it's quite a high price to pay to offer card. Unless you pass on that charge to your clients. With sum up, I don't charge any extra for using a card. Xx

Thanks for your reply birdbrain, I need to decide wether to pay a higher % or fee per transaction or if I want the money to go in sooner! It's annoying sum up is a smaller % but maybe takes longer to appear in account. Thanks for your opinion X

I use SumUp. Never had any issues, apart from no warning when batteries low so keep spare handy. I just charge clients extra 50p on top of their bill for using their card. No complaints yet! [emoji3]xx

I am looking at changing my card reader as my paypal one connects to my ipad but not my mobile. They won't do nothing about it as in their eyes it works.

With sumup do you need wifi connection or is it bluetooth? I have never heard of it before but there fees sound good.

Hi bridiehannant, thanks for your info. What do you say to clients? "There will be a 50p charge for using card"
I'm not sure wether to do this or not as I am small I have a beauty room within a building of office/business lets. People can see I work alone so would maybe understand there to be a small charge with using a card.
I've read some other threads where people have said it would put them off!
I just think every little helps with a low income so for me to now pay out % and what not for people to use cards I'm at a further loss.
Before anyone says it's just pennies I understand that, but like I say every penny counts for me and it all adds up!

I used sum up and recently switched to paypal.

Not sure if it's just me but some of my payments were taking up to 7 working days so it actually ended up being 9-10 days before I got the payment. Not ideal. Now switched to paypal, yes percentage is about 1% higher but access to money is instant. Just my thoughts x

I've used Izettle with my IPad for about 2 years now, never had any problems with it, my payments always take 2-3 days to arrive in the bank. It charges up through my desktop on a USB and then I can take it out if needed (hubbies used it at the car boot in the past)

Latest posts

Back