Sunbeds?? please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberley87

Reaction score
HI,
I am about to open up a tanning studio.... i am going to offer sunbeds, spraytans, and bio nails. i would like to have two sunbeds to start off with, a lay down and a stand up...Should i buy new, should i buy used? should i rent? should i rent to buy?

and which company do i use??

If anyone has any advice or information in this department, then it would be much appreciated! THANK YOU :) :)

I'd say from a cash flow point of view you would be best off leasing the beds. I looked into opening a tanning salon a while back so I spoke to several stockists. Some of them offer a profit share package which also has its benefits when you are starting out. Be sure to find out about the cost of re-tubing, maintenance etc and check that the stockist has an adequate customer service/maintenance system in place. Check what plans they have in place for when the new Sunstream regulation comes into force and make sure that the beds you get are compatable with the new lower output tubes.

I was also advised by several people (other sunbed shop owners as well as stockists) to put in the best beds you can afford. Buying cheap beds can be a false economy. For one thing, people will travel further afield for a better bed. Secondly, if your business is doing well you identify a market for the larger chains and they can afford to move into your patch and kit out their shop with better beds thus taking business from you.

I had decided on Ergoline beds from a stockist called Electric Sun in Glasgow. I think they also claimed to be the only UK distributer for Australian Gold creams but I'm not 100% on that.

You can get loads of information from the Sunbed Association. I'd also look to get your business registered with them to show that you are promoting sensible tanning, linky here - The Sunbed Association

Does your shop have a 3 phase electrical supply? You need this to run more than one bed, and it can be quite costly to install if it doesn't.

yes it does have 3phase..and thank you very much for your info!

Do you know much about Sunquest?

Did you open a shop? if not why? THank you

Hiya,

Sunquest were another supplier that I looked into, they are a reputable company and were my second choice. The reason I chose Electric Sun was down to locality. If I had any issues or maintenance probs then the engineers were in my area.

I didn't open a shop in the end. Purely down to the fact that I had not found the right premises in the right location. I had a deadline in my head, I wanted to be trading by late spring so as to make as much money during the summer to see me through the quieter winter months (sunbeds can be quite seasonal) but I didn't get the premises on time so I have left it for this year and will test the water again next year and find out if the demand for them is still strong.

I have a wealth of information, catalogues, regulations etc that I've gathered over a few months, I'll happily post it out to you if you like.

Hi

I have recetly opened a tanning shop. I have 2 beds laydown and stand up. I lease mine through Sunquest and Peak sunbeds. I don't agree with the proffit share so try and stay away from that. With leasing its better as you can always upgrade your beds at anytime.

I ended up getting a 200w and 250w you do need to get good beds,contact Peak sunbeds or Sunquest i am sure they can help. Sometimes they have refurb ones at a really good price.

Good luck and let me know if you need anymore information

Good luck, you will do well

you could try UVL in Preston 01772 790093..ask for Lynn..
They are independent supplier of sunbeds and UV Lamps and service the whole of the UK.

They will probably know of a sunbed dealer down your neck of the woods.
Give them a try.

thanks for all your help xxx

Can anyone clear up a query i have about the electricity supply for sunbeds please? I have read all the threads and I am correct in thinking that I only need a 3 phase supply if I have more than one bed?

Can anyone clear up a query i have about the electricity supply for sunbeds please? I have read all the threads and I am correct in thinking that I only need a 3 phase supply if I have more than one bed?

OK not so strait forward.
You will either have a single or 3 phase supply in your building.
SINGLE PHASE
This could either be 60/80 /100 amp supply which supplies the whole building.If you are only installing a relatively small single phase sunbed and your other consumption in the building is low you can get away with this supply.
You may need to ask the electricity board to increase the size of the main supply fuse if you only have a 60am supply to either 80 or 100a..they can of course only do this if the supply cable into the building is sufficient to carry the load.
3 PHASE
A lot of shop/retail type buildings already have this in suite however if you dont and you need to have it installed it is VERY expensive as a new supply cable will need to be brought into the building (which means the road/pavement would need to be dug up) and the meter and consumer unit would need replacing.
The larger sun beds use 3 phase so you will need an adequate supply.

The best thing is to speak to a perspective sunbed supplier and ask them to visit and do a survey for you.
Given that the manufacturers and dealers are all struggling there are some good deals to be had out there so make sure you ring around and find the right supplier for you.
Good luck and hoping this helps rather than confuses .

Hi Colin,
Thank you very much for that. We have a 100amp supply to the property at the moment and only intend to have one sunbed so i think that we are ok with the single phase. Thanks again

Hi Colin,
Thank you very much for that. We have a 100amp supply to the property at the moment and only intend to have one sunbed so i think that we are ok with the single phase. Thanks again

100amp supply may sound a lot but if it is enough will depend very much on what the total consumtion of your premises is..I.E. do you have electric heating etc and also what size the sunbed is your looking at ordering.

certainly speak to your chosen supplier ans even ask if they could come down and do a survey..just explain to them you want to make sure you have sufficient supply in your building to facilitate the load of the equipment they are installing.

Good luck with your venture :hug:

Latest posts

Back