Taking pictures & pictures!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahJane90

Hannah Butland
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys use yo take pictures of nails and makeup. I have an iphone 5 and have downloaded so many apps but don't like any.

I understand for good quality I would have to pay, so would rather someone's opinion than to try too many!!

Hannah x

I just use an iphone 5 as well, I don't really edit them. I just add a watermark to show it's my work and add a border. I prefer not to edit the actual photo unless the colour has come out different on film then in person. I like clients to look at a photo and know that's what they'll get. The only app I use is line camera, can't remember if I had to pay for it though x

Edit: if I do edit the photo, I'll just slightly brighten it but I don't like to use filters

Felicity xx

Lighting is the biggest issue when taking good pics on a iPhone, if you can diffuse light from certain areas it enhances other areas, this is a bit random but I was watching a video with my son today on YouTube of a man unboxing and showing a replica hand gun (he loves guns lol) so I asked why does that man have gloves on? He said it's to help the camera see the gun better he said because if the mans hands are in the pic it reflects the light so much the focus of light is taken off the gun and onto the hands, so he does it so you can see the gun colours and lines better..... Not bad for a 11year old lol! .... Maybe if you could get more nail and less hand in the pic, you wouldn't even need an expensive app? I'll be trying it next time I take pics ☺️

Lighting is the biggest issue when taking good pics on a iPhone, if you can diffuse light from certain areas it enhances other areas, this is a bit random but I was watching a video with my son today on YouTube of a man unboxing and showing a replica hand gun (he loves guns lol) so I asked why does that man have gloves on? He said it's to help the camera see the gun better he said because if the mans hands are in the pic it reflects the light so much the focus of light is taken off the gun and onto the hands, so he does it so you can see the gun colours and lines better..... Not bad for a 11year old lol! .... Maybe if you could get more nail and less hand in the pic, you wouldn't even need an expensive app? I'll be trying it next time I take pics ☺️

This is a good point, I used to take pictures of the entire hand, now I try to focus on the main four fingers (one hand on top of the other) so my phone is closer to the hands and the photos look a lot better now then they did before!

Felicity xx

I use an led daylight lamp on my desk that I put really close when taking pictures of nails. I don't edit any of my photos, I also use a personalised mouse mat with my logo on it is I don't have to mess around water marking my photos.

I much prefer to see hands together than all spread apart.

I ask my clients to put their fingers rigid to get a good clear photo of their nails, like this.... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414274899.673033.jpg

Thank you ladies, you make some really good points. I don't watermark either, I use the back of a business card with my logo on it.

It looks like this...
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414307347.569959.jpg

Do you think I am better to ask them to put their hands together and flat?

Hannah x

Don't take offence but I don't think that does anything to show off your nails & it isn't the type of nail photo that would grab my attention.

Why not try them like this ??ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414314627.644448.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414314637.358621.jpg

Photos from the beautiful Jo wickens, who's pictures always grab my attention xx

I find it soooo difficult to take a good pic and have so many apps to help pic up sparkle on rockstars and those who have glitter, none really work.

Its amazing how distorted the colour gets even with no filter! I'll definitely be trying that tip from kahuna!

I agree that hands flat and rigid makes for the best photos as opposed to holding something. I water mark my pics using overgram.

I sometimes find that natural light is my enemy... With shellac being so shiney, the light reflects off and I have a massive unseeable section because there's a strip of sunlight on the nail :mad:

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

Last edited:
I find it soooo difficult to take a good pic and have so many apps to help pic up sparkle on rockstars and those who have glitter, none really work.

Its amazing how distorted the colour gets even with no filter! I'll definitely be trying that tip from kahuna!

I agree that hands flat and rigid makes for the best photos as opposed to holding something. I water mark my pics using overgram.

I sometimes find that natural light is my enemy... With shellac being so shiney, the light reflects off and I have a massive unseeable section because there's a strip of sunlight on the nail :mad:

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

It's because you're using a phone. A half decent camera will be your best investment :)

It's because you're using a phone. A half decent camera will be your best investment :)

Maybe one day when I can justify the cost. Until then, my phone will have to suffice unfortunately.

Sorry to butt in! Which camera would you recommend BannerPenquin? I've been thinking about getting a decent camera for a while but I don't have a clue what to go for x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry to butt in! Which camera would you recommend BannerPenquin? I've been thinking about getting a decent camera for a while but I don't have a clue what to go for x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Depends on budget. I never thought about it much prior and used to just get any random digital camera but I got a DSLR camera (one those fairly big-ish) cameras and I tell ya what. I love it! I can take photos anywhere and they come out far better than any camera before. I could blow my pics up to any size for a canvas for example and still comes out perfect. Use it for holidays and everything really.

I actually got a new standard digital camera not long ago. A nikon one. Wasn't cheap either. Bought it for a holiday to carry around but the pictures were so bad I ended up using the bigger one anyway.

Mines a Panasonic FZ45. (not fancy but any means) it's about £250 new but I bought mine second hand for £50 but needed a new battery charger which was about £15 on eBay. Been going well for 2 years and I must admit, I've dropped it quite a few times.

No matter what camera you decide I'd say google it for some impartial reviews. The face value specs can be the same on 2 cameras but doesn't mean they're equal quality. Hope this helps :)

If you have good light and know how to focus with your phone camera, you're almost there. Use a non distracting background and pose the hands elegantly. On the iPhone, you can focus the image by touching and holding the screen on what you want to focus on. Nice even lighting with a reflector (piece of A4 white card does the trick) out of shot will bounce the light back into the image to fill in your shadows. Getting your model to hold her hands still helps, as does holding the camera steady. Blurred, out of focus and badly lit images do not look good.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Thank you geeks!

So hard to get it right isn't it?

I took these pics below today. Do you think I am on the right track?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414450118.559457.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414450126.435059.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1414450134.300380.jpg

Maintaining beauty, the positive way 🎀

The last pic is pretty perfect, I don't like the other two (only personal preference) the hands don't look happy. Abit more light & perfecto xxx

Haha! Nothing wrong with a personal opinion. Do you think it may because the fingers were apart? They don't look 'comfortable' if you know what I mean xx

Haha! Nothing wrong with a personal opinion. Do you think it may because the fingers were apart? They don't look 'comfortable' if you know what I mean xx

Your work is really nice: clean and smart. I would try using a light coloured table rather than the dark purple to show off a short crisp manicure like that. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your work is really nice: clean and smart. I would try using a light coloured table rather than the dark purple to show off a short crisp manicure like that. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the purple makes the pic quite dark. The third pic is defo the best in my opinion, the hands are positioned very well!

Ok good advice! Thanks Girls, I will try and lighter back ground and show you how it comes out xx

Latest posts

Back