Teaching beauty therapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just wanting some info / guidance on teaching beauty therapy. I am qualified to level 3 and currently studying prosthetic makeup degree at uni that would allow me to do a PGCE for teaching. How many years industry experience do I need? Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do, I just didn't know what in until I started Beauty Therapy.

Thankyou and sorry for the long question!

I'm also looking for more info on Teaching. I've had advice from a few sources and all have been different [emoji17] x

Hi I teach at a college of FE, not a beauty subject. You usually need to have a level 4 qualification in the subject you are teaching and industry experience. I say usually though I know this isnt the case for some of my colleagues, its level 3. There are a set of teaching qualifications which were called PTLLS, CTLLS & DTLSS (DTLSS was equivalent to a PCE). Most colleges will pay for you to do your teaching qualifications if you have a job with them, as there is funding available and its an industry requirements. However Im not sure how much competition there is for beauty teaching jobs so colleges may ask for teaching qualifications already. Best thing to do is build a relationship with the place where you would like to work and see what they require/expect.

Oh forgot to say the teaching qualifications have recently changed name and are called something like certificate/diploma in teaching and learning.

Hi all, I'm just wanting some info / guidance on teaching beauty therapy. I am qualified to level 3 and currently studying prosthetic makeup degree at uni that would allow me to do a PGCE for teaching. How many years industry experience do I need? Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do, I just didn't know what in until I started Beauty Therapy.

Thankyou and sorry for the long question!
You can do a PGCE but you don't need it to teach adults.

Vic x

You can do a PGCE but you don't need it to teach adults.

Vic x
Hi thanks for your reply, I want to do PGCE as it would allow me to teach in schools (a lot local to me offer beauty therapy) it's more what experience I need behind me :) thanks!

Oh forgot to say the teaching qualifications have recently changed name and are called something like certificate/diploma in teaching and learning.
Thanks for your reply! I understand about the qualifications needed, I should have said I'm level 3 qualified in beauty therapy and also now studying my degree in Makeup Artistry which would allow me to do my PGCE - which would mean I could teach in schools etc. I'm more just wondering how much experience I would need behind me. Thankyou

Thanks for your reply! I understand about the qualifications needed, I should have said I'm level 3 qualified in beauty therapy and also now studying my degree in Makeup Artistry which would allow me to do my PGCE - which would mean I could teach in schools etc. I'm more just wondering how much experience I would need behind me. Thankyou

I completed my PGCE two years ago and when I applied to my local uni they required five years industry experience. However each uni is different and it all depends on the demand for the course, it's all down to the tutor so there is flexibility.

When studying you will need to complete a minimum of 75 teaching hours (This could be different now) per year. It might be an idea to register your interest with local colleges now, as there will be a limit on the number of student teachers they can take on.

It's a tough course but a very rewarding job :)

Do you need to be level 4 qualified? :) x

Sorry for delay.

No I have done my level 2 and 3 Beauty Therapy and then Teaching qualification. Xx

And how long did your teaching qualification take? Did you work in a salon still while you did it? X

I completed mine over two years part time. One day in uni and then the other day making up my 75 hours teaching in a college. Yes I did work aswell just fitted it in around uni. It was a tough two years.

im currently doing my Level 3 award in education and trainig which is the equivalent to the PTTLS. Its only a 6 week intensive course, but i believe from there i could work for a training company as a trainer or create my own courses an get them accredited. I think to go on to work in a college you would need the Level 4 (DTTLS) plus x amount of volunteer hours teaching. xx

Latest posts

Back