Teaching education

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiebott

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Recently I've been thinking about doing my teaching education, but have no idea where to start....
I was told that i could teach in what I have an nvq level3 in, which is Media Makeup, but I do have diplomas through Carlton institute in lash and brow treatments, Indian head massage, lash perming, facial electrical treatments and ear candling, I've also done my level 2 beauty therapy at college, and day courses such as ear piercing, acrylic extensions, Hollywood toes, lash perfect extensions and CND shellac. Having done all of these, does anybody know if I can teach anything else apart from my level 3 in makeup or would I have to redo my courses in an nvq level 3 diploma within a college before I can teach acrylics for example??
Hope someone can help :)

Hiya
I believe that most places only accept their tutors to be qualified at NVQ level. So if you have make up L3 then you can teach this and anything below and same if you have beauty L2 - you could teach L2 treatments but not the L3. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along with some more info.

With all your other certs you may be able to get work teaching private day courses or you could look at specific brands that you're already trained & experienced in & what their requirements are for their tutors.

You will probably also need to then complete your assessors award (to enable you to teach & assess NVQs).

I would advise that you try & get some work experience volunteering with your local college. Teaching is a very challenging job, though it is really rewarding!

Amy xx

How long does it take to qualify as a teacher? Is it possible to do it part time so you can still work?

Do you have to get some kind if placement at a college who may give you a job at the end or can you just do the course then get a job after?

Hiya
I believe that most places only accept their tutors to be qualified at NVQ level. So if you have make up L3 then you can teach this and anything below and same if you have beauty L2 - you could teach L2 treatments but not the L3. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along with some more info.

With all your other certs you may be able to get work teaching private day courses or you could look at specific brands that you're already trained & experienced in & what their requirements are for their tutors.

You will probably also need to then complete your assessors award (to enable you to teach & assess NVQs).

I would advise that you try & get some work experience volunteering with your local college. Teaching is a very challenging job, though it is really rewarding!

Amy xx

Correctish Amy but you have to usually have a certificate in education which now has combined both CTLLS and PTLLS together to make one award instead of doing both please see my other threads with regards to this ... To obtain a lecturing position you would mostly need this and your TAQA ( which has now replaced A1 and A2 that's the assessors award that you were speaking of .. That has now gone) to carry out and assess students .. You can't teach shellac as you don't work for CND and other one day courses probably wouldn't qualify you enough to teach them ( my personal opinion) :) hth if you think of anything else ask away the course was £800 n a academic year :) 👍👍

How long does it take to qualify as a teacher? Is it possible to do it part time so you can still work?

Do you have to get some kind if placement at a college who may give you a job at the end or can you just do the course then get a job after?

I did it in an academic year worked a full time senior beauty therapist Job and a little part time waitressing job too ( I'm a workaholic) yes it is a p time course you can't do it full time or you could do it via e learning but .... I don think you'll feel ready to become a lecturer doing it this way :) yes you have to get a placement that covers over 30 hours minimum throughout the whole academic course .. I did last year from sept to end of July 9-12 every Monday morning teaching the students essential skills, waxing, spa therapy and some threading 👍👍the more hours you get = more confident you get so 30 as a min I did like near 60 in the end but you know what well worth it .. I can now comfortably deliver a session that includes both theory and practical incorporating functional skills within each session making it varied and meeting the individual needs of each learner ... Would I be able to do this from just 30 hours ... Prob not x x:) go for it you've got nothing to loose

Oh yes of course about needing teaching qualifications (my reply was said thinking the OP knew she has to qualify) and I would say it's about 5 years experience in whatever you want to teach. Also regardless of the amount of time you've been doing the treatment you really do need to feel confident & be knowledgeable - as part of NVQs there is anatomy & physiology so you may be required to teach this too as well as the practical treatments! Also think about whether you're any good at paper work - NVQs work books to cross reference and homework to mark (once you're an assessor) etc. If teaching day courses it would be a small assessment at the end of the course that you'd have to mark etc.

The qualifications changed this year as have been mentioned so have a look what your local college offer :)

Amy xx

Oh yes of course about needing teaching qualifications (my reply was said thinking the OP knew she has to qualify) and I would say it's about 5 years experience in whatever you want to teach. Also regardless of the amount of time you've been doing the treatment you really do need to feel confident & be knowledgeable - as part of NVQs there is anatomy & physiology so you may be required to teach this too as well as the practical treatments! Also think about whether you're any good at paper work - NVQs work books to cross reference and homework to mark (once you're an assessor) etc. If teaching day courses it would be a small assessment at the end of the course that you'd have to mark etc.

The qualifications changed this year as have been mentioned so have a look what your local college offer :)

Amy xx

Def 5 years at least ... Can you imagine if you only had 2 or something 😱😱😱😱😱 it happens though as they don't regulate it as much as the colleges should and could very easily do they unfortunately don't ... Some lecturers should just not be, their standard and knowledge is not of a high level that I would expect :( really worrying as their teaching the next batch xxx

I would be interested to know this too. I was a qualified Primary School teacher before I had a career change to beauty therapy - does anyone know if this would mean I still had to do the teaching qualification or not? Thanks x

I did it in an academic year worked a full time senior beauty therapist Job and a little part time waitressing job too ( I'm a workaholic) yes it is a p time course you can't do it full time or you could do it via e learning but .... I don think you'll feel ready to become a lecturer doing it this way :) yes you have to get a placement that covers over 30 hours minimum throughout the whole academic course .. I did last year from sept to end of July 9-12 every Monday morning teaching the students essential skills, waxing, spa therapy and some threading 👍👍the more hours you get = more confident you get so 30 as a min I did like near 60 in the end but you know what well worth it .. I can now comfortably deliver a session that includes both theory and practical incorporating functional skills within each session making it varied and meeting the individual needs of each learner ... Would I be able to do this from just 30 hours ... Prob not x x:) go for it you've got nothing to loose

So I would need a placement to do at least 30 hours to get the practical experience, but what about the actual course the theory side of it is this something you do at home?

Once you qualified did you stay on at the placement to teach there or do you find somewhere else?

Did you pay for the course or do the placement fund you? I assume the minimum 30 hours are voluntary and you don't get paid for this?

Sorry for all the questions I have looked at other threads about teaching but can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help :) xx

Thank you everyone for their replies. They were all really helpful :) x

When I did my teacher training Cert Ed a couple of years ago, I was already teaching in a college but to do the course we had to prove that we could get 30+ hours practical and theory teaching in a classroom.
The course was funded by the government when I did it but I know you can now get 24+ loans for courses if they no longer fund them.

Although I did have to pay for my assessors and internal verifier awards myself. I already held 7302 cert for teaching but I know it's changed to ptlls now.
X

Sorry forgot to add that when I did it you needed to be in paid teaching for the 30 hours x

So I would need a placement to do at least 30 hours to get the practical experience, but what about the actual course the theory side of it is this something you do at home?

Once you qualified did you stay on at the placement to teach there or do you find somewhere else?

Did you pay for the course or do the placement fund you? I assume the minimum 30 hours are voluntary and you don't get paid for this?

Sorry for all the questions I have looked at other threads about teaching but can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help :) xx

Would you need a placement .... Yes usually ..

The actual course Ctlls was on a tues night 5-9 n then home work and assignments on top of that

Once I finished I then got a new job as assistant manager at a day spa back in my home town :) I want to grow with that then see where that takes me they are fully aware of what I have and can do and I'm training the apprentices which is always helping 👍👍

I paid £800 for CTLLS myself yes they were voluntary and it was a min of 30 I think that really is minimum considering that's for the whole academic year :)

Anything else just ask .. Xx

Would you need a placement .... Yes usually ..

The actual course Ctlls was on a tues night 5-9 n then home work and assignments on top of that

Once I finished I then got a new job as assistant manager at a day spa back in my home town :) I want to grow with that then see where that takes me they are fully aware of what I have and can do and I'm training the apprentices which is always helping 👍👍

I paid £800 for CTLLS myself yes they were voluntary and it was a min of 30 I think that really is minimum considering that's for the whole academic year :)

Anything else just ask .. Xx

Thank you for your help :) x

No problem :) 👍👍x

Latest posts

Back