Teaching parents child's hair styles?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairxByxMollie

Reaction score
I’m self employed in a Hair salon and just wondering if it’s okay for me to let parents take part when I’m doing child braids and styles?
Would i be okay to show the parent and let them learn how to do it on their child? Or even maybe classes where I teach a few xx

I’m self employed in a Hair salon and just wondering if it’s okay for me to let parents take part when I’m doing child braids and styles?
Would i be okay to show the parent and let them learn how to do it on their child? Or even maybe classes where I teach a few xx

I would have thought that is fine, as long as you are charging more for it. It’s a skill they will always have but you might end up with people thinking they are then able to teach others so be clear it’s just for personal use.

Before I stopped doing make up I did more lessons than I did applications usually. Those that really struggle or have never done it love to get pro help on it. I think it would be a great thing to do it with hair. I would want a lesson to teach me hair up for myself!

When I used to help run a volunteer playgroup, I ran a demo session on simple hair up styles for them using a long haired headblock.
Some of the mums wanted tips for simple chignons for ballet and how to do scalp plaits etc.
You could contact a few local toddler groups to see if they might be interested in paying for you to run a class or advertise via the primary school PTA?
Otherwise, you could offer a free basic demo session at the group and hand out your business cards and recommend they pay for 1:1 training session where you will help them to master a few basic styles.

I think you was asking from an insurance point of view wasn't you?

I think you was asking from an insurance point of view wasn't you?

Yes I am, wasn’t sure if I’m allowed to teach others in the uk even if it’s just basic braids on their own children without having a teaching qualification x

Yes I am, wasn’t sure if I’m allowed to teach others in the uk even if it’s just basic braids on their own children without having a teaching qualification x

You didn’t mention insurance or ask about teaching qualifications in your op, OP. :)

I don’t think you need worry.
Planning and delivering a course and providing certification for students who complete the course would obviously require some formal accreditation/teaching/insurance requirements.
However, as you are already qualified in hairdressing and planning to offer straightforward hair-up demo’s and 1:1 tutoring (presumably without the need to use heated tools), it shouldn’t require formal teaching qualifications or extra insurance.
For peace of mind, why not contact your current insurer and see what they advise.

Latest posts

Back