The nerves are terrible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplepixi

Reaction score
Hi all, has any one got any ideas on combating the nerves. I know people say that they will go away. But I did my first every paying client the other day and I was so nervous. I knew her husband and he had given her my number to say I do nails, but up to now I've only done friends and family, who have been really helpful and kind and sat there for ages while I put them on.
I really tried to hide the fact that I was nervous but I had really sweaty hands and a bit of hand trembelling going on, which doesn't help when trying to put nail tips on.
I was happy with the nails and I had finished everything within 2 hours which I was happy with as well, but I can't help thinking that she notice my hands trembelling. May be I'll be better with the next one, I really do hope I am, because as of next month I shall be doing nails (and beauty) as a career.
Has any one got any ideas on either hiding the nerves more sucessfully?
Thanks.

i know it doesn't help, but you really will more confident with every new client, and everytime you see an old client and realise that your work is ok!

the only practical advice i can think of is make sure you talk to the client. I don't know if this is something you do anyway, but ask the client lots of q's about themselves, their family, job, etc etc - get them talking about something other than nails and their attention is distracted away from what you're actually doing. With them not concentrating on you - then maybe you'll be less conscious?

The only other thing i can think of is Bach's (sp?) rescue remedy. avlb from Boots, Holland & Barrett etc. I think you put drops in water or on tongue - it's supposed to really work!

hth x

It is no different from any other 'first day on the job'.

Everyone is a little nervous to begin with. Your confidence will soon grow as you become more and more sure of your work. It will dip a little as a few things go wrong and clients have a few problems and you have to deal with that side of things. Learn that it is the clients that differ in how they treat their enhancements and not your work that differs from client to client.

The belief in yourself will ebb and flow for possibly a year, more or less. Funny thing, as your confidence grows and your attitude strengthens with your clients, you will find your clients have fewer and fewer 'problems' as they sense your strength. Women sense vulnerability very easily and 'play' on it. Be aware of this and do not give in to it unless you feel a problem is genuinely something to do with your preparation or application.

I sympathize with how you are feeling, but it is normal and will pass in time. Three or four nice deep slow breaths in thru the nose and out through the mouth always calms me down when I am a bit stressed out or under pressure.
Enjoy the job .... it is the best.

Good Luck!!

I Agree With Purplepixi Getting The Client Ot Talk About Herself Really Does Distract Her From Watching You. Everybody Likes To Talk About Themselves, Just Make Sure Your Half Listening Or You Might Ask Her The Same Question Twice !!
The Nerves Get Less With Each Client But I Find After 2years I Still Get Certain Clients That Put Me On Edge And Always Will.
Keep Remembering You Know More Than Them So If You Do Make A Mistake Just Calmly Correct It And Say Nothing, They Will Be Non The Wiser .good Luck.
Suem

I was so nervous with my first paying client that my hands shook so much I didn't need to worry about filing, the shaking did it for me. And I would concentrate so much I'd start dribbling out of the corner of my mouth!! Not nice - bet you don't feel so bad now huh?!

Latest posts

Back