Thin nails/nail damage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hcnails48

Reaction score
Ok, so I am curious to know about if nail enhancements cause some damage to the natural nail (cause the natural nail to thin).
I know that NSS salons are known to damage the nail and from using an efilenon myself I know that this was the cause personally for my nails to be ruined, because of that I do not use an e file on clients at all, that said I have recently had a client who’s Dip Powder enhancment came off and she is adament that her nails are now really weak because of this I explained that this was probably because it was pulled off the nail as opposed to be removed correctly, she then took it upon herself to remove her own enhancements with acetone but messaged me to say it took forever and took some of the nail bed away with it (I find this highly unlikely as the only thing I actually did to the natural nail bed was take away the shine with a 180 grit file) but I just want to manage peoples expectations does simply having some form of enhancement on the nail naturally cause a little bit of damage or should the nail remain as healthy as it would without one?

No products damage the nail plate, they don't 'eat away' at the surface or 'thin' it, only improper prep or removal damage nail tissue. If you think logically, nail enhancements are just plastic, plastic isn't acidic or damaging to nails. However, we do EVERYTHING possible to make them stay on, we dehydrate, remove surface shine, use bonders and products designed to stick as well as possible to nail tissue, unless great care is taken to correctly remove those products it stands to reason damage is going to occur.

I liken it to hanging wallpaper, if you do it properly you clean the walls, rub down any damage, you put a coat of 'size' (wall primer), use the best quality wallpaper paste, hang the paper ensuring all the edges are sealed properly, no air bubbles, etc, and do everything possible to make sure it sticks to the wall. A few years later you decide you want to change it, then its a nightmare to get off, it should be you did everything right make it stick as well as possible, you hack at it with a scraper, damage the walls in the process then complain the wallpaper paste is rubbish.

However, if you'd used a wallpaper streamer, the correct tools and taken your time it would have come of easily without damaging the walls.

No products damage the nail plate, they don't 'eat away' at the surface or 'thin' it, only improper prep or removal damage nail tissue. If you think logically, nail enhancements are just plastic, plastic isn't acidic or damaging to nails. However, we do EVERYTHING possible to make them stay on, we dehydrate, remove surface shine, use bonders and products designed to stick as well as possible to nail tissue, unless great care is taken to correctly remove those products it stands to reason damage is going to occur.

I liken it to hanging wallpaper, if you do it properly you clean the walls, rub down any damage, you put a coat of 'size' (wall primer), use the best quality wallpaper paste, hang the paper ensuring all the edges are sealed properly, no air bubbles, etc, and do everything possible to make sure it sticks to the wall. A few years later you decide you want to change it, then its a nightmare to get off, it should be you did everything right make it stick as well as possible, you hack at it with a scraper, damage the walls in the process then complain the wallpaper paste is rubbish.

However, if you'd used a wallpaper streamer, the correct tools and taken your time it would have come of easily without damaging the walls.
Thanks that’s what I thought, when I remove the Dip Powder Manicure it literally soaks off no scraping or filling is required (one of the reasons I love it as a product) so to hear that she felt I had damaged the nail came as a surprise especially to say that when she removed herself the nail surface came away with the product, I think this could be a case of someone wanting to cancel an appointment and feeling they had to give a reason. I just wanted to check that I was in a position to say unfortunatly it would have been caused by incorrect removal of the product and not the product itself.

Latest posts

Back