Timing for foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyscissors

Reaction score
How long does everyone take to do a full head hl I keep gettin snide digs nowfrom my boss tellin me to speed up I spend an hour puttin foils in and I literally cant go any quicker results r always perfect I dont jam them in but enough to get the job done never had any complaints whereas my boss can do it in 25 mins she uses meche doesnt put half as many as i do takes sections that r twice as thick so they r never right to the roots and has been a few times where ive had to correct her work for her when shes not there and clients have come back complaining and cant come back when shes in or they dont want her to do it for them .

Today I spent roughly at the most an hour n 15 makin sure I had done as muh as I could trying to even out my clients colour today mainly underneath as she doesnt always have full head so underneath there was alot of her natural colour she has bleach hi lights so some bits had also started to look abit brassy . She has also had my boss do her hair once in the past and next time made sure she had me .

So after thr lady had gone she said I need to speed up and should take thicker sections now to me yeah I dont nornally take the extra 15 mins but I feel I cant go any quicker then an hour without compromising the quality of the outcome . I feel clients r paying to have there roots done so therefore there shoukdnt be big bits where there isnt any colour and they should feel like they have got a good coverage without lookin like a block colour just really starting to get fed up now of these remarks 2 of the other stylists used to take thr same time but she never used to say anythin to them . And i didnt have anyone else booked in for the rest of the day so could understand if we was busy and I was taking too long but as I say it was dead . What does everyone else think?
Sorry for the essay and maybe spelling issues frustrated and tryin to type on my phone like a mad woman ! Lol
Argh !!:(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you're spending the right amount if time!
I've been doing highlights for a long time and it takes me an hour to an hour and a half depending on length and thickness. Nobody likes thick strips that don't go to the root! The more foils the better I think.

An hour is normal commercial time. Hour fifteen is still ok. A full head of meche is about 45 mins, however, the additional cost of the meche is revenue neutral compared with the extra time but lower costs with foil.

Done correctly there's no difference in the finished result. I'm superfast with meche, but would struggle to do a decent full head in 30 mins.

Sounds like your boss may feel threatened by you! She should be pleased your thinking of the client xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah I'm about 30-45 mins with meche
U just have to remember that the colour is developing all the time and for tint it should be off after 40 mins (with majirel anyway) bleach obviously Varys with strength ??

Yeah I always rinse off sections when they are done when doing full head .. just dont understand the problem ifbim doin a good job and if I was too use the meche rather then foil to be quicker she would complain that it costs too much ... cnt win lol

It takes me around 1 hour 15 to do full head and I always like to pack quite alot in :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I usually take an hour to an hour and a half. I foil, and I am particular. My clients would prefer that I do a decent job and take more time (with in reason) than a rush job where they'll leave with out the results they wanted and be back sooner for roots again.

I had a similar issue with my old boss, around the time I finished my apprenticeship. I had been there for a few months and had come from way classier salons in Sydney. What I found was that in Sydney where I did my training, they charged way more, and so allowed more time for services.
I used to get an hour for a half head, 45 mins processing (where someone else could shampoo my colour for me) and 45 mins for cut and finish. At the new place I got 45mins to do the half head, 45 mins to process - with other clients booked in and no one to help me wash off my colour - and 30 minutes to cut and finish.

So I brought it up with her. I said, I can work towards your time allowances, and I'm doing my best, but I'm barely out of my apprenticeship and have come from different sorts of salons. One thing I put my foot down about was that I would not compromise my quality of work for a matter of minutes. If she wanted someone to do that then she'd have to get someone else.

Last financial year I took half of what the salon made. I was one of 5 stylists in the shop and by far one of the slowest stylists. But because my quality of work was good, I was busy when they weren't - because no one wanted them to do a ****ty job on their hair.

Stick to your guns. The pressure to push clients through like a factory is what is killing the artistry in this industry, and its giving it a bad name.

I'm about 35-45 mins with foils but that doesn't make me any better or worse I would rather quality over quantity just ask her what she prefers and it she says quality just say maybe you both have a different idea n it's time to leave you should be proud of your work

Hairbycass thats what it is exactly like sometimes about the gettin people in and out like a factory and its do annoyin dont think she realises how bad it looks sometimes . She sits them down asks what it is they want doin and goes "yep right ok " walks off so the client is sat there not told whats gonna happen or being done so most probably shi#$*ng themselves I just sit there and facepalm sometimes . Me and one of the other ladysthat rents a chair just have to glance at each other n shake our head sometimes ive been here 5 years now since I was in my last year of training at college so im starting to try build up doing mobile slowly but surely then its time to get out ! Had enough ... its poorly ran and her heart is not in it and even clients are beginning to see that .

Depends on the length and thickness of the hair but I'd say an hour is spot on, especially as you're doing a good thorough job :)

It still takes me about an hour and 45 mins :( I'm really slow.

Foils take me a long time and if someone makes the appointment for example a full head in 45 mins i just give myself more or move things about. rather that than run behind!! Im lucky I trained with my boss so shes easy to talk to xx

I am hairdressing over 20 yrs , I take an hour to an hour and 15 for a full head as I pack loads in and take small sections, I am the slowest in the salon!! But I don't mind as I have loads of regulars and I think my highlights always look the nicest 😃,don't feel under pressure ! Quality always wins x

I am hairdressing over 20 yrs , I take an hour to an hour and 15 for a full head as I pack loads in and take small sections, I am the slowest in the salon!! But I don't mind as I have loads of regulars and I think my highlights always look the nicest 😃,don't feel under pressure ! Quality always wins x

Thankyou thats the thing mine always look a 100 times better then what she does not big headed im just surenof myself in the outcome of my h/l . Thanks everyone x

I take 1hr to 1hr and a half depending on roots and thickness. I pack loads in and take small sections. Carry on doing it your way as you are doing nothing wrong & you will gain & keep existing clients as you are giving them what they have paid for.
I work for myself, mobile, and the amount of my clients that say my highlights are better & they feel like they are not on a salon conveyer belt.

I've been doing this 17 years and usually take an hour to foil, some times an hour and a half. I refuse to rush and I'm bloody fussy. But, my clients appreciate it and I charge accordingly. I think your timing is absolutely fine. I have a stylist who takes ages, but her work is perfect so I don't complain. I have a stylist who is uber quick, but her foils are chunky. I'd rather perfect results of cramming things in any day.
You're doing fine. Don't be bullied in to lowering your standards
Xx

For half head I take about hour 1/5 to hour and half but with half head I take about an hour but that is because I pack them in like you said people want to leave with no roots and there hair covered. But that time includes the consultation and mixing the colour up. :) x

I take 45 - 1 hour for a half head and 1.5 to 1 3/4 for a full... I must be slow! But to be honest, most of the colourists in the salon I used to work in took about the same.

Latest posts

Back