Tomorrow I start looking for a job-advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffyclouds

Reaction score
I have posted this in Biz also...
i have recently qualified NVQ level 2 in hairdressing i did this at college full time with no work placement because i have children i chose to give up a well paid job in order to be fulfilled within my work i paid a lot of money to do my course which my lovely husband and children and myself all went without and really struggled financially for the last year but it was worth it i love hair and cant wait to get out there. I realise that he fact i haven't worked in a salon (other than my college one) for many years (though i did do 18months of an apprenticeship 10 years ago but gave up due to lots of personal problems) will work against me and that salons are not always interested in students trained in a college (and i can see why with some of the girls i trained along side) but i,m 27 i,m capable and i,m committed i also think i,m pretty good (for beginner) anyway to cut a long story short i need your advice on what would make you hire somebody? the way they look? the way they present themselves? there CV etc.
I will literally be walking in asking to speak to the manger and explaining my situation and leaving my CV. Also i cant afford to work full time voluntary but i could to Saturday for nothing, ideally i would like to work 3 days reduced pay.

any help would be greatly appreciated x

If you can, take in a portfolio of your work to show a variation and standard of your work x

iv only just started taking photos of my work (dumb yes) so i don't really have many a couple of cuts and a couple of colours, do you still thin kit would be worth taking them?

I probably would. When I went to an interview last week I took my iPad with about 15/20 various photos and really worked in my favour x

any other words of wisdom out there????

I know its not strictly hair related, but my friend who used to work in recruitment told me to never be afraid to ring up and chase your applications, as it shows you're keen.

Good luck in your search, you sound really focused :) I'm sure your hard work will pay off!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

shame that you dont live in devon as i would give you a chance to work self employed in my little salon you sound committed :green:

Fantastic! Well done you for your commitment. Portfolio, assertive friendly approach and SMILE, no matter what they say. If the manager isn't there make sure you find out when they are there, find out who the decision maker is. As my mum has always said, don't just accept a brush off: make like you're an immovable object (a smiling, making eye contact one) until you get a name.

xx

thanks for your kind words guys, well i guess we,ll just see what happens, did a friend hair tonight and she loved it so has boosted my confidence which is nice

Latest posts

Back