Top coats and Shellac Cream Puff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemL

Reaction score
Hi All,

When making up pop sticks etc what do you use as a top coat? We use our Shellac Top Coat but we are finding if we are making up nail art pops to display we are using a lot of top coat and obviously it's expensive.

Also - Cream puff....does anyone else find it wrinkles, I do try to get it nice and thin but it still seems to do it :-( It's so thick to work with!

G x

I use Shellac top coat for my colour pops too, I like them to look as they would on my clients, would be interested to know what other people use though.

I do find that Cream Puff is terrible for wrinkling. Really, really thin coats help but I find that shaking it really well before use (for much longer than you usually need to shake most of the others!) makes a big difference to this.

I'll give extra shaking a go :) Hate it when it wrinkles on a client :-( xx

I use Vinylux top coat on all my colour pops - works well :)

With Cream Puff you need to put your coats on so thin that it doesn't look enough, it will initially look streaky but let it settle and it will even out. Do the same on your second coat and you should end up with full coverage but no wrinkles. It doesn't matter if your first coat is slightly streaky as the second will cover any gaps but this colour needs to be applied thinner than any other of the colours.

I paint the underside of my colour pops and then they are lovely
And shiny and no top
Coat needed. For ones with nail art i use viynlux top x

Yes I find cream puff terrible for wrinkling as it's quite thick.
I use a cheapy UV top coat specifically for colour pops as I was getting through so much CND top coat

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use a cheap no wipe uv top coat for the colour pops.

I think i'll give Vinylux top coat a go :) Thanks all! xx

I have had terrible trouble with Cream Puff. I use the Studio White instead now. Much smoother.

I paint the underside of mine too, saves on too coat x

When you paint the underside, how do you remove the tacky layer without removing the colour? I've tried this before and needed to remove the tacky layer as my clients like to place the pops on their fingers when deciding on colours and if I don't remove the tacky layer fluff gets stuck up them. I hope this makes sense. Xx

Just wipe mine with cleanse (I use gelish) obviously it's not shiny but the underside doesn't need to be. x

I use my Brisa lite top coat over mine, because I use waaaay more shellac than I use BL (both BL smoothing/sculpting kits came with base/top coat) and most people I use it on have shellac on top therefore finishing with shellac top coat. Also the BL top coat is double the size of shellacs standard one, or maybe find a cheapy one off eBay, aslong as its shiny you should be good, I'd never waste shellac top coat, I go through it so much, I'm on my 3rd bottle of top coat to 1 base coat (base coat seems to be lasting ages!) :) x

Base lasts us yonks too. Seem to be ordering loads of top! Tried the vinylux today and that worked fine - thanks for your help everyone. X

I use bluesky top coat on my pop sticks. I would never use it on clients but I was going through a lot of shellac top coat so I brought a cheapy bluesky of Ebay. It's worked out far much more cheaper.

Latest posts

Back