trade test hair help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckygal

Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm new to salon geek, i've heard a lot about it on how you get good advice from others so heres a little something i have for you. (just needing a bit of adive on this one as i'm very nervous!)

i have a trade test coming up in a few weeks in a really well known salon in my area and i feel like i've worked soo hard and i deserve it! i've been treated like crap in the past by other employers and feel this could be my big break!

i'm required to take THREE models with me and i need to colour and cut each one of them, they must have a reasonable length of hair to work with and the colour MUST be in foils.

i dont really have a problem about doing the models or anything.....its just the whole colour thing! i have no idea what they will be looking for! i have 1 model who has long virgin hair, 1 who is blonde and 1 who is brown (about a base 6) i'm not even allowed to do like a full head foils and a tint flushed through it... it can only be in foils and thats it!

i'm not really looking for ideas on what to do....that would be cheating on my part! but how do i make the colours look good when i cant do a tint in between the foils? i've never done it just in foils! i just want some advice on what people really look for and what makes you stand out and shine above the rest!

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

thanks fellow geeks! :)

to me it seems a silly way of testing you , if you tint inbetween you foils you get a nicer finish it also shows you are not scared to death of colour (ha i would be !!) i think you should be free to do what you wish .. it shows you are good if you want to put more effort in doesnt it ?
maybe persianista will be able to offer some better advice as she has several fab salons so she knows tons xxx

thanks! yeh thats exactly what i thought! a tint through it will give it such a nicer finish! its a pain i have to do 3 models with the same brief but try and make them all totally different to show off my skills! i'm so nervous! i just had a thought... i use wella colour and i think the new salon i'm going to is goldwell....will they tell me what their version of the colours i use are? does that make sense to anyone? lol :!:

Sounds like an unusual trade test. Probably looking more at technique, and less at colour choice.
You can do weaves/slices or combination, darker colour or weaker % dev at root area (zone 1) and lighter towards mid lengths and ends. You can vary the weave size, foiling pattern. You can do flashes of colour to paint your cuts.

They will be looking for skill, technique and creativity.

Give it all you got, good luck! x

Latest posts

Back