Trainee/stylist pay, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dappa110

Reaction score
Hi im trying to find out some infomation please in relation to pay, my niece starting working for a comapny as a apprentice whilst at college. this started when she was 16 she is now 19 and has been working at the same saloon for 3 and a half years. she has now compleated level 2 and is qualified she qualified approximatley 12 months ago.

Her employee was paying her £100.00 per week for a 5 day (43 hrs p/week) up untill she qualified 1 year ago aged 18, he then made her a stylist but the wage did not change, when confronted he said it was a trial and has now put her down to junior stylist. she still works 43hrs per week but is paid approximatley £23.14 per day she works 9am-5.30pm and is unsure if her hours lunch is taken into consideration even if its not she works a minimum that she should be paid of 7.5hrs per day £3.08 per hour.

So my questions are.

Is she still an apprentice as a junior?

does the minimum wage apply?

should the minimum wage have kicked in after 1st year of service (when she was 17?

I thank you in advance for your anwsors.

Hi im trying to find out some infomation please in relation to pay, my niece starting working for a comapny as a apprentice whilst at college. this started when she was 16 she is now 19 and has been working at the same saloon for 3 and a half years. she has now compleated level 2 and is qualified she qualified approximatley 12 months ago.

Her employee was paying her £100.00 per week for a 5 day (43 hrs p/week) up untill she qualified 1 year ago aged 18, he then made her a stylist but the wage did not change, when confronted he said it was a trial and has now put her down to junior stylist. she still works 43hrs per week but is paid approximatley £23.14 per day she works 9am-5.30pm and is unsure if her hours lunch is taken into consideration even if its not she works a minimum that she should be paid of 7.5hrs per day £3.08 per hour.

So my questions are.

should the minimum wage have kicked in after 1st year of service (when she was 17?

I was an apprentice (not in beauty but in retail) & the wage will only change if she is employed as a member of staff (non-apprentice), if your neice has just carried on working there after she gained her qualifications, her wage will not increase unless she says she no longer wants to be an apprentice, but the risk is with this the employer might not take her on as normal staff and then she will be stuck :) Oh & the apprentice wage has gone up to £2.65 (5p increase) from october so make sure that is taken into account :)

Hope this helps :D

xx

So my questions are.

I thought that an apprentice was working in a salon whilst you are learning to do the trade. As far as i know once you are qualified you are then no longer an apprentice and should be given atleast minimum wage.

Most salons class Junior Stylists as someone who has only just qualified. I think she should have been getting minimum wage since the day she qualified.

My friend was doing an apprenticeship and as soon as she qualified they said they had to get rid of her because they couldn't afford to pay her the normal rate for a qualified stylist.

Have a look on DirectGov website im sure there will be something on there with exact details of what each postition means and how they should be paid!

If she was an apprentice she should have been getting an 'Apprentice wage' - there is minimum wage for this in 2012 it changed to £2.65ph. He shouldn't have been paying her £100 as she would have made more than that a week if she was on the apprentice minimum wage.

If she is now qualified she should be on minimum wage for her age:
21+ £6.19, 18-20 £4.98, Under 18 £3.68, Apprentice £2.65 so if she is 19 she should be on £4.98ph now she is qualified. It doesn't matter if she is now a junior stylist as she is qualified (she is no longer an apprentice learning).

She should speak to CAB if this correct as it sounds like he is at the ham!

Aha! Found this on Directgov...

*This rate is for apprentices under 19 or those in their first year. If you’re over 19 or past your first year you get the rate that applies to your age.

So she should have been paid apprentice minimum wage in her first year then gone onto the minimum wage for her age.

Latest posts

Back