Training info scrambling my mind!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHHHHHHHHH☆

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of training to be a nail tech,,,, ive been
Searching online and reading through some threads on here , but I keep reading different ideas about whats good to do!
I'm thinking of college nvq 2 nail tech course,,,, but then now thinking of fast track course....have looked at CND, OPI , and others
Has anyone used national hair and beauty institute? They offer a nvq in nail studies abou t 8 days at around £1.700 inc kit.....is this over priced, will I be better off doing short courses with some one like CND and forfeit nvq!?
Any advice appreciated as really would like to start asap!
By the way I am 38 and looking for career change!
Heidi x

Hi
I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm already qualified in nvq level three hair and beauty but I haven't done it for 15 yrs. I went and did my Gelish course and the decided to do an intense 3 day course in acrylics. I am now going back to my tutor as I don't feel confident. Therefore, if I could do it again I'd do a longer course so you can come back each week and discuss any issues you have. The only problem is because we are over the age of 21 we have to pay for our nvq which is over£3k where the nail course I did was £500. Hope this helps x

I had no qualifications in beauty when I had a career change aged 40!

After weighing up the options, I decided that CND Shellac was a product I personally liked and had the benefit of being well known and trusted by clients, so I trained with the CND academy.

I did the beginners course, then Spa Manicure, Spa Pedicure etc and have just booked up for a couple more courses with them as my tutor is amazing. I also trained in Gel II by doing a conversion and have loved all the training. I'll guarantee I've not spent out £1700 in training so far and I've learned so much.

I guess it depends on whether you know what system(s) you want to train in.

Hi
I'm in a similar boat to you. I'm already qualified in nvq level three hair and beauty but I haven't done it for 15 yrs. I went and did my Gelish course and the decided to do an intense 3 day course in acrylics. I am now going back to my tutor as I don't feel confident. Therefore, if I could do it again I'd do a longer course so you can come back each week and discuss any issues you have. The only problem is because we are over the age of 21 we have to pay for our nvq which is over£3k where the nail course I did was £500. Hope this helps x
Hi
yes i do wonder if 8 days is long enough!
One eve a wk nvq at college here is £1000 for the year.
also the short course with shellac or opi mean travelling and taking models..which when u don't drive is a mission....i rang to spk to CND and mearest is Leicester but have no up coming course!
Going to go into the nvq thats £1.700 and chat as in city centre and maybe call on a few places just spk with technicians
still all a minefield!
Thanks for advice

Hiya, would you find it difficult getting to Worcester on the train one day a week for 16 weeks ? NVQ3 fully funded for ages above 24+ I'm about to start mine in September and you don't have to pay it back until you're earning £21,000
maybe worth looking at.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi.
i haven't done level 2 yet!
I can do level 2 at college in hall green one day a week
im just thinking of speeding it up...but several options to consider...not sure which one yet!

You don't need to do level 2 for this hun, it's for total newbies. I have just passed my mani and gel polish but I only did that off my own back, I was told by the training academy I don't need anything

You don't need to do level 2 for this hun, it's for total newbies. I have just passed my mani and gel polish but I only did that off my own back, I was told by the training academy I don't need anything

Oh right...assumed you need to do nvq 2 before 3...have u a link to the course i can look at
many thanks

Yea sure..
this is what the course covers..
we have a level 3 nail course starting 7th september this covers acrylics , gel , wrap system art and design work including 3 d acrylics coloured acrylic work , one stroke , encapsulation , pink and white work health and safety and event planning / business planning , this is a full diploma no pre course requisite 1 day per week funded if you are 24 and over , 16 weeks

Attachments

• 1437740435922.jpg
    1437740435922.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
ok thanks..sounds good
ive typed in that www.wsts.com address and it comes up with a Korean page!
Whats the college called please as i cant see on the flyer its cut off x

This is the Facebook page, i've been and registered and know a lady just finishing her course there and said it's brilliant. That's what swayed me then once I've done this I will just further advance myself and do a conversion course with the brand I want to work with hopefully lol

Attachments

• 1437744409455.jpg
    1437744409455.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks...ive found them on fb now too!
Going to go see them a week mon and see how trains are....cant be more than an hr each way...
thanks for the info!might see u on the course yet

Hiya, would you find it difficult getting to Worcester on the train one day a week for 16 weeks ? NVQ3 fully funded for ages above 24+ I'm about to start mine in September and you don't have to pay it back until you're earning £21,000
maybe worth looking at.

Fully funded means you pay nothing at all, ever.

Here, they are clearly requiring you to take out a loan to pay course fees. Don't be fooled by advertising puff. A loan is still a debt that has to be repaid.

I know it's still a debt and of course did concern me as I'm very careful financially but once you start earning above £21,000 then your payments are low each month. The whole course fee funding is £2583. And a low interest will be added but this gives an option to people that don't have the money up front.

I started with a learn at home course but learned so much more on the gel 2 polish course I did through the creative beauty group. I'm now doing a level 3 course because I wanted to go even more in depth

If the trains are not practical then the beauty academy also does a level 3 nail course which is elligle for the 24+ student loans. Its part home study/course work and part hands on at one of their locations, they have a centre in Birmingham too (I'll be doing my training in Leeds but my assessment in Birmingham :) ) I'm sure there are other level 3 courses elligable for the 24+ funding too

I started with a learn at home course but learned so much more on the gel 2 polish course I did through the creative beauty group. I'm now doing a level 3 course because I wanted to go even more in depth

If the trains are not practical then the beauty academy also does a level 3 nail course which is elligle for the 24+ student loans. Its part home study/course work and part hands on at one of their locations, they have a centre in Birmingham too (I'll be doing my training in Leeds but my assessment in Birmingham :) ) I'm sure there are other level 3 courses elligable for the 24+ funding too
Hi,
Think I did see there web page,, could see level 2 nvq but no 3 in nails, yes its a minefield where to choose! Is one level 2 starting at london beauty in brum too but I have no clue to fork out from £500_£1.700....some inc kit some dont! Aargh x

This is the 24+ loan level 3 nails link too http://www.thebeautyacademy.org/vtct-level-3-diploma-in-nail-technology-24-loans-only/

I know what you mean though there are so many courses! The above one is the one I am on and you do have to get your own stuff for case studies but kit is provided on the hands on days . I actually liked that I could get my own kit because I could pick based on my preferences and could choose reasonable quality stuff, some students kits I've tried were pretty rubbish

This is the 24+ loan level 3 nails link too http://www.thebeautyacademy.org/vtct-level-3-diploma-in-nail-technology-24-loans-only/

I know what you mean though there are so many courses! The above one is the one I am on and you do have to get your own stuff for case studies but kit is provided on the hands on days . I actually liked that I could get my own kit because I could pick based on my preferences and could choose reasonable quality stuff, some students kits I've tried were pretty rubbish
Yes it does seem they try charge £200 odd for naff kit!
Yes i looked again and found the level 3 courses there was 2 vctc level 3 nail studies one over 9 mnths and one 8 days. The 9 mnth was a grand more...are they the same course and is a vctc a good enough qual as nvq!
Its almost like im doing a diploma looking at info haha

That's over £1000 more than the Worcester one but you do it for 5 months longer x

Latest posts

Back