Un-insured treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniellew

Reaction score
Hiya

I've just qualified in lash extensions, and just practicing at the moment.

Is it legal to ask for a small charge without being insured if you specifically told your client and made them sign a waiver?

I cant afford insurance just yet, and would be handy to get some money to save for insurance.

thanks!

You can pay monthly for insurance and it is so cheap. Mine is about £8 per month.

They can't sign a waiver to agree to you doing treatments uninsured.
Insurance is very cheap as mentioned above. Regardless of you telling them or not, if something went wrong they could sue you.

Yeah I just thought like friends and stuff. I didn't realise you could pay monthly. I got a quote from the guild of beauty therapists for registration and insurance £100. Can you recommend any insurance companies? Do you have to be registered with the guild of beauty therapists? Thank you so much!!

I use pro beauty direct and it’s about £60 a year

When I started eyelash extensions the Beauty Guild covered me as a student for £25, then when I was qualified and earning I just upgraded it. Maybe give them a call? The £25 covered me for all the treatments I was learning (earlier this year, so prices shouldn't have increased massively) and then I paid £75 for full cover once qualified in my first treatment so that covered me as a student for other treatments too.

I've always been told not to charge whilst learning, but to request a small amount to cover materials - you can't "sell" your services until you're qualified

Hiya

I've just qualified in lash extensions, and just practicing at the moment.

Is it legal to ask for a small charge without being insured if you specifically told your client and made them sign a waiver?

I cant afford insurance just yet, and would be handy to get some money to save for insurance.

thanks!

Hi @Daniellew

I would be very careful about carrying out treatments without insurance - even if it is to practice your skill set on friends/family. You are still using chemicals which could potentially be harmful to people. And as @BannerPenguin said - you cant sign a waiver if you are not insured. Waivers are not advisable as they don't actually hold any weight if someone tries to claim as they will say you should have insurance to cover yourself.

Direct line are reasonable for public liability insurance and they have a new offshoot, Evo, tailored to hair and beauty businesses. Which give specific details about the sorts of treatments you carry out to ensure you have the best level of cover to fit your requirements and at a fair price :)

Also, friends and family sometimes are the worst/most demanding, unappreciative clients, as many threads on here will testify.

Latest posts

Back