Vertical split nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done a search and not quite found what I'm looking for, so wanted to ask the question. I've a client who is a regular Shellac user and over the past couple of months, her ring finger and little finger nail have both started splitting down the nail on the one side. The nail itself has also become very thin and soft.

There is no infection there, she is very strict at applying her solar oil every day and her nail beds are healthy, so I just don't understand it. We've tried keeping her nails a bit shorter thinking it could be when they get too long, but that hasn't resolved the problem. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest and she's looking to me for answers (in a nice way - we're both puzzled by it!)

In terms of the shellac, I do everything correctly - removal pads, all CND products and she uses CND solar oil... So I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Any advice would be great as she's currently saying she might stop wearing shellac and obviously I don't want that, plus I'm not convinced that's the problem.

Like I say - nail bed is healthy, nail itself is fine, just this split on each of the two fingers???!

Thank you x

This seems a bit strange, unlikely but is she doing anything with these 2 nails to cause this? Perhaps go through a thorough consultation with her again to see if anything has changed.

I had a client who's nails were like that when she first started coming to me but through Shellac wear and applying her solar oil her nails have hugely improved and we never see splits anymore.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I had the same thing on both my thumbs. One day I had a eureka moment, the cause....... The zip on my jeans ;)
It was re-splitting every time I pulled my zip up :)
Could it be something along those lines?

I don't think so, it's fine splits in the actual nail rather than a break. Good thought though, but don't think that's it *puzzled*!!

Latest posts

Back