VTCT, NVQ or 1 day nail course? Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ickleblondie

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a hairdresser and want to expand into doing nails /natural gels and acrylics/nail art) so I can do this mobile or maybe work in a salon in the future.... I'm wondering what the best way is to go about learning and what's the most employable and able to get good insurance. I currently do gels on myself and family not for money just for fun .was taught by nail tech friends and tips from YouTube. My local college do a vtct over 10 weeks and is very resonably priced and I'm able to do it around work, but is that enough? I'm not worried about doing it quickly I'd rather be taught properly.... Any ideas geeks , there's just so much stuff about it online it's so bafferling!

Thanks in advance,

Nikki x

Hi guys I'm a hairdresser and want to expand into doing nails /natural gels and acrylics/nail art) so I can do this mobile or maybe work in a salon in the future.... I'm wondering what the best way is to go about learning and what's the most employable and able to get good insurance. I currently do gels on myself and family not for money just for fun .was taught by nail tech friends and tips from YouTube. My local college do a vtct over 10 weeks and is very resonably priced and I'm able to do it around work, but is that enough? I'm not worried about doing it quickly I'd rather be taught properly.... Any ideas geeks , there's just so much stuff about it online it's so bafferling!

Thanks in advance,

Nikki x

I heard a VTCT is a good qualification, however i am mobile and i trained with a private training school for an affordable price and did a range of courses in a month and qualified. NVQ's are more shop employable, as they say because they all go through the same training apparently, and salons believe it covers everything they need, or something.

However i trained with a private beauty school and i am happy with my training, it all depends on where you go and who has recommended who. :biggrin:

Hi, I did my nail training at college and would defo recommend it - I had a hairdresser doing my course too.

I wouldn't do a one day course - you can get certificates/insurance etc. with them but theres loads more advantages to college training.

Things like gel and Hollywood toes, are all the kind of things I'd say are suited to one day courses, so you can learn what to do, get insured, then put them into practice - but you'll find those a LOT easier after manicure training :)

I'm not sure if you're from Royston, Glasgow, or if there's another lol, but I did an OPI Gel Course with some girls who'd went to either the City of, or North Glasgow college (can't remember which) and I can't say anything bad about their nail training at all!

Hope that helps :)

lovely thank you girlies!!! im in royston hertfordshire ''down south'' lol the vtct is only £150 as its partially funded for adult learners wanting to do extra bits and bobs and its at the place i trained for my hairdressing 12 years ago :/ but thoroughly updated since then. its the level 2 in nail technology and looks pretty good as it covers the basic manicure and nail prep, + gel and acrylics etc. then learn for 3 hours a week for 10 weeks then do 4-6 months of case study at home then 2 final exams.... has anybody taken this route and does that price seem about right or to good to be true?

Hi, it sounds good, ive just been looking at it at my college and its £209 +£50 for the kit so if youve got part funding it sounds about right.

Ive got my induction day in 3 weeks for hair and im asking about 4 other certificate courses at the same time haha,

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

lovely! i better sign up pronto then :p

lovely thank you girlies!!! im in royston hertfordshire ''down south'' lol the vtct is only £150 as its partially funded for adult learners wanting to do extra bits and bobs and its at the place i trained for my hairdressing 12 years ago :/ but thoroughly updated since then. its the level 2 in nail technology and looks pretty good as it covers the basic manicure and nail prep, + gel and acrylics etc. then learn for 3 hours a week for 10 weeks then do 4-6 months of case study at home then 2 final exams.... has anybody taken this route and does that price seem about right or to good to be true?

Sounds great! I'm green with envy my vctc is weekly jan- Nov!!!

Latest posts

Back