What do I need to do.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearl

Reaction score
I have been qualified in level 2 NVQ Beauty Therapy since 1996 and have worked in a few salons and also as a self employed beauty therapist for 8 years.

A year ago after 11 years in the industry I thought I wanted a change in career so began working in a cosmetic surgery company as an administrator. However the thing is that I now know just what the beauty industry meant to me (its my life) and have a new found passion to be sucessful in the industy.

I am keen to work on an employed basis as my priorities have changed and I want to work within a team that has high standards and is as passionate about the industry as I am and grow with the company I work for.

However I have looked at a few recruitment ads and have found that most of them now require an NVQ level 3, unfortunatley I dont have this......I also dont have the time or money to return to fulltime education to aquire this level.

My question is has anybody gained a role on the merit of there level 2 NVQ and working experience?

I do intend to return to night school to study body massage and further my education still.

My career aim is for a more senior level therapist but for now I am keen to get my teeth into a therapist role.

Please can anyone offer advice and direction or give me inspiration from there experiences?

Pearl

x

I think with your experience it would still be worth applying for vacancies that ask for level 3. Not all jobs actually require L3 work, but employers may ask for L3 to ensure the applicants are more experienced. In my salon I ask for L3 because I need staff that can massage and do electrolysis. However, because we don't carry out electrical face / body treatments I would still consider a L2 trained therapist that has stand alone qualifications in the areas I need.

Hope this makes sense. :confused:

You could try asking exactly what treatments are required for jobs that have been advertised; you may find the same requirements coming up again and again. If so, you could then get qualified in those treatments alone, ie for electrolysis Sterex do a great course, and for massage there should be private colleges near you that can teach you very quickly due to the very small number of students being taught at any one time.

Good luck and welcome back to the wonderful world of beauty!!:)

Latest posts

Back