What do you learn on level 3 fashion and photography make up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
In a nutshell, what does this course give you that level 2 makeup doesn't?

(Goodness, I don't like how I've phrased that question because it's always worthwhile learning something new I think!)

So for instance, on level 2 city and guilds we covered day, evening and special occasion looks as well as skin care and all of the important health and safety stuff (did this course in 2010, loved it!).

I'm thinking that in terms of insurances and proof that you can do makeup, a level three isn't strictly necessary but on the other hand I just feel like doing a makeup course to brush up (awful pun!) on my skills and because I think it will be fun.

I was going to do the level 3 diploma in makeup which covers stage make up like wounds and body painting etc but I'm concerned that a limited opportunity to practice this in industry is such that I would be better off doing a course that is more reflective of what I do in industry (we used to get wedding parties in the spas I worked in) because I eventually want to teach.

So yeah, level 3 make up: what did it give you that level 2 didn't?

Interested in replies to this as ive done the level 2 in makeup as well but i dont feel confident!

Ive compared the L3 fashion and photographic makeup course and the L3 media makeup course and the media one seems to me more geared towards theatrical makeup/prosthetics etc so if i was going to do one i would do the fashion and photographic makeup one. But im not sure if its going to be relevant to working in a salon - is it more for people actually wanting to go into makeup for fashion/photo shoots/tv etc?

I wanted to do the full level 3 diploma in makeup artistry at one point but it include stuff that, as much as I would enjoy learning it, I don't want to work in the area of industry that requires a lot of networking for me to be able to use those skills (because I want to teach I think I'd be better off with fashion and photography makeup only because I think the opportunity to use those skills in industry is more present and seeing that industry experience is vital for teaching then....).

We had a few bridal parties in the spas I worked in so I feel reasonably confident with makeup, I'm just thinking that a level 3 will be good for teaching and also because I fancy improving my skills. Question is, I wonder if you get to do a photo shoot at the end and lean more about that side of it or if its lots of repeated makeup application from level two. Hmmm....)

There are a lot more colleges that offer theatrical and media makeup than fashion and photography makeup- so if you are wanting to do a course because you are forward thinking for a teaching career, it would be more prudent to do the media makeup as you will have valuable skills that many others don't have . I agree that media makeup is all about networking etc, but a lot of students want this course as it helps them go onto uni courses such as hair and media makeup etc so def worth a think about xx

There are a lot more colleges that offer theatrical and media makeup than fashion and photography makeup- so if you are wanting to do a course because you are forward thinking for a teaching career, it would be more prudent to do the media makeup as you will have valuable skills that many others don't have . I agree that media makeup is all about networking etc, but a lot of students want this course as it helps them go onto uni courses such as hair and media makeup etc so def worth a think about xx

I'm not sure though, wouldn't a lack of industry experience in the media aspect of makeup (even if I have spa and bridal) work against me? I'd have thought that to teach the full level three in media make up I'd have to have quite a lot of industry experience to teach it?

thats a fair point actually! i think you are right- apologises xx

thats a fair point actually! i think you are right- apologises xx

Aww no don't apologise :) would looove to have the money to do the whole thing if only for the pleasure of learning but I'm thinking considering I'd probably have to put the full level 3 on a 24plus loan it might be a bit too much of a gamble.

Need to find a provider of the level 3 in fashion and photography makeup now though. Anyone? :)

Latest posts

Back