What should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikirud

Reaction score
Advice needed please. I started in a salon last month after a year of working mobile by myself. I've been qualified for years though. My mobile business is very successful but I wanted the security of a set amount coming in each week.
The salon owner is lovely but had her own ways which I feel obliged to follow as it is her salon and she is my employer. She showed me her method of full head foils and said she preferred her method where you place the foils diagonally across the hairlines and follow that up.
I tried once and it was a nightmare, it looked a right mess, the roots were still as bad as when the client walked in
The owner stepped in and redid the foils and the client left happy.
Anyway I did it again used her method of foiling and it was awful if it didn't bleed then I wasn't close enough to the root.
I've been doing highlights for years with no problems, they usually look lovely, I rarely have problems but I just can't get the hang of her method and it's really upset me and no doubt made her think I'm done sort of incompetent hairdresser who keeps messing up. She wants to chat when I'm next in. I like the job, but feel that she may want rid of me because I've messed up twice in something as basic as full head of foils. I've apologised and suggested I stick to my method but she hasn't replied.
Any suggestions as to what I should say or do? She probably has no confidence in my abilities now. I also messaged her saying I didn't want to be left worrying until next thursday, but she hasn't replied to that message either.
Thanks.

Just say you're not comfortable with her method, and this is where the problems are coming from. If she wants you to do that and only that she needs to give you more training.

Have been in this position in the past and please don't let it knock your confidence she either needs to train you in her application method or let you do it your way . Sounds a bit controlling !! We are all trained a certain way but then we are creative so need to go with what's best for us and our clients x

Did you do a trade test before you took the job?
Was she happy with your work?
Maybe watch how she does her foils and pick up how she does it?
My old boss was a bit like this, I used to indulge her for a bit but carried on my way as without being rude, she was trained about 100 years ago lol.
It's hard to change the way you do things if that's how you were trained.
Hope it works well for you x

Latest posts

Back