What to offer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattyfudge

Reaction score
Hello Geeks!
I am after some advice pls...I am opening a salon and am at odds whether to include spray tanning or not. I am fully proficient in tanning but it's my least favourite treatment plus it's messy and I an debating on whether to just not offer it in my salon.
Yes I will lose custom but I feel that so many people (mobile especially) offer it and for so cheap that I'm just not that fussed.
Am I making a huge mistake?
A therapist friend said I should offer it and have a room dedicated to tanning BUT my salon is small and although room for another treatment room I feel that this room would be better for waxing threading lashes etc etc.
Thoughts please geeks xx

If your heart isn't in it then don't do it.

x

I'm not a fan of tanning. When we moved to our new premises it was 6 weeks before we did a tan. We have done a lot more recently so we have a tanning tent up most of the time in a spare room but it means we can also use that room for other things.

It's hard when you're opening a salon as money, wherever it comes from, is money!

We have actually got a big spending client just from spray tans. However much you hate them, can you afford to turn them away?

I would consider offering anything and everything until you're well established before you make a decision to stop doing them.

I know how much opening a salon costs!

Vic x

Thanks Vic. That's very helpful, and yes it all costs! My salon is in a new parade and are basically she'll specification so we are screeding floors and installing fire sprinkler system, electrics, plumbing and that's before kitting out the shop!!! My life savings on my dream!

Do you have just a tent in the spare room...what ventilation do you have? X

A tent in the spare room and no ventilation. Shows how many we do!

We remove any trolleys so they don't get over spray on them and at least we know only one room is getting wrecked!

Vic x

I stopped doing spray tans when we moved house as they are so messy & the over spray went everywhere where we used to live. If I could do them again though I would if I had a proper designated area. I find that I loose some business from people looking to book in for nails & tan if they are going somewhere. Some will come to me for nails etc & go elsewhere for a tan.

Tanning is very competitive though & most people are looking for the best deal they can get.

See how u get on & maybe think about adding it at a later stage.
One thing I don't miss though is the clean up after doing a few in a row so it saves me time now bonus!

Latest posts

Back