When do you decide - enough is enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
O.K......I love my job.
Except it isn't a job.....It's who I am, and if I'm honest, how I define myself.:)
Which is why I am soooo passionate in defending it!

I'm Lesley 'The Hairdresser....' NOT...... Lesley who does hair.....
To me, there is a MASSIVE difference.

Having spent the whole of my adult life, honing my skills, and understanding my customer...you could say, I take my profession VERY SERIOUSLY.:cool:

Today...not for the first time, JOE PUBLIC disappoints.o_O

"..........How much for a dry cut..." ......Err what! are you having a laugh......I'm not paying that....I only need it cut!"

This statement, among many..., makes my ears bleed, and my heart break.....:(

What does it for you?

Some ppl have no clue and no respect. We train as long of not longer than plumbers and electricians. We go on yearly courses to keep up with the most current trends products and techniques. These are expensive. They have no idea of the running costs of being self employed or a salon. How would they feel if we said they got paid too much cz they earn the national living wage? They just don’t realise cz they’ve never run their own business. It’s ignorance. Xxxxxx

Having an appointment booked for weeks & then cancelling/rearranging with no notice.

No matter the reason given, What I hear is ‘my time is more important than yours’ :(

No shows! Height of bad manners it drives me daft. People with rediculous expectations, not worth the hassle and those who ask a million questions about a treatment/service with no intentions of booking.

Clients who expect you to be able to fit them in on that day!!

O.K......I love my job.
Except it isn't a job.....It's who I am, and if I'm honest, how I define myself.:)
Which is why I am soooo passionate in defending it!

I'm Lesley 'The Hairdresser....' NOT...... Lesley who does hair.....
To me, there is a MASSIVE difference.

Having spent the whole of my adult life, honing my skills, and understanding my customer...you could say, I take my profession VERY SERIOUSLY.:cool:

Today...not for the first time, JOE PUBLIC disappoints.o_O

"..........How much for a dry cut..." ......Err what! are you having a laugh......I'm not paying that....I only need it cut!"

This statement, among many..., makes my ears bleed, and my heart break.....:(

What does it for you?
I guess it's back to the same old problem of "hobbyists" undercutting the serious professionals for whom it is their only form of income (I don't mean those who are just starting out and need another part time regular income to supplement their earnings whilst they build their businesses up)

As we all know, cheap, one/two day courses don't help here as anybody can do them and are then led to believe they are "qualified" without investing the time (and money) that those of us who have gone down the longer route of study have.

That said, even today's "full time" college courses don't seem to compare to the courses of 20+ years ago (when I initially trained). Then full time meant 5 days a week. Now full time can be as little as 15 hours in college time!

All these factors have cheapened the hair and beauty profession and too many clients don't understand that there can be a world of difference between the quality of a treatment they receive. It's easy to say "oh well I don't want those type of clients anyway", but when your livelihood is at stake we can't afford to be so selective unfortunately

There needs to be a big shake up I think!

I've said it once I'll say it again - I can draw many parallels with the industry and my industry of web design.

Like you, I love my job. This is going to sound like a sales pitch but I promise you it's not - I love to see my client's sites be successful for them. That's what makes me really happy.

I've spent years studying web design, coding languages and user behaviour and know what makes a good website convert visitors to enquiries and what just looks like a pretty picture. This is what makes my price a good ROI compared to others who may be cheaper but if it does nothing for you, it's a waste of money.

Loads of new 'web designers' join the industry every single day as they think it's an easy way to make money when it's far from it.

Like anything in life, people can pay a professional or do it themselves. I could cut my own hair but I wouldn't. If your time isn't that valuable then some of these DIY solutions can be ok. If your time is precious, always pay a professional. I pay a mechanic to service my car, I pay a gardener to take care of it when it gets out of control and so on. To me, I'd rather be working or spending time with my wife than doing stuff that frankly - I can't be bothered to do and know I'll do a bad job of anyway.

Just my 2p worth :)

I worked for 13 years in an industry where the service I provided was something I loved but was physically and mentally draining. Add to that the no-shows that could seriously screw you up.
My thoughts are these...

BURN OUT. Too much for too long... your passion had been trampled over for too long and that is demoralising and exhausting. The only answer I found for this was to reduce hours and cull unprofitable clients. Keep only those who are reliable and help boost your interest. Focus on building up a new and better clientele.

PRICING, up it a bit. You want to give a premium service... so charge for it... those who appreciate you will pay. A frightening and brutal manoeuvre but very telling and it certainly sorts the wheat from the chaff. Those who appreciate good quality will stay and those who want the world for a quid will bog off to annoy someone else.

No shows. Take credit/debit card details and chase up the previous day for confirmations. Not a perfect fix but it does make it much more arduous for complete time wasters which might hopefully reduce their number.

Promote yourself and your business as what you really want it to be rather than what you think it ought to be to fit in with the majority. If you have a USP then really sell it!

Never forget about skills transfer!

I could write a piece that would quite simply go on for days, so I shall try to remain brief. My best ever complaint is that a new client complained that she didn't like the hot stones used in a hot stone massage, she felt they were unnecessary and wanted "compensation," we had also ruined her massage by giving her extra time because her husband found it difficult looking after her children for 10 minutes extra. I was lost for words. Someone, someone who has never visited my business left a review that we were too expensive for the area, my urge to write expletives were strong. We have plenty of people that say "well my usual salon charges ...." to which I reply "and we charge...." and wait. I have one client that books every four weeks, without fail, for one of more expensive treatments and is not happy unless she has said at least one vile statement to every member of staff she encounters. She is most angry that one of our team used anti-ageing products on her (she's the tail end of 60). We now have a meeting before each of her visits as we play a game to remove everything she finds "dreadful, irritating, rude, frustrating and annoying," to see what fresh spite she can create each month. Although I think four years of this is probably enough and I should invite her to use another salon! I have to keep repeating to myself "it's not personal."

My current crowning glory is that I'm going to court in a couple of months as someone is suing me for a £17 "no show" fee which she has added £150 damages to! She left a voicemail after we closed on a Sunday stating " I know I had an appointment some time this weekend but I couldn't remember when so I'd like to reschedule."

My patience has run thin after 30 years and in the timeless words of Mae West ~ "Her tongue was covered in bite marks from all the things she never said." I'm terrified that one day I will say "Madam, what did you f@~*&%g expect!"

I could write a piece that would quite simply go on for days, so I shall try to remain brief. My best ever complaint is that a new client complained that she didn't like the hot stones used in a hot stone massage, she felt they were unnecessary and wanted "compensation," we had also ruined her massage by giving her extra time because her husband found it difficult looking after her children for 10 minutes extra. I was lost for words. Someone, someone who has never visited my business left a review that we were too expensive for the area, my urge to write expletives were strong. We have plenty of people that say "well my usual salon charges ...." to which I reply "and we charge...." and wait. I have one client that books every four weeks, without fail, for one of more expensive treatments and is not happy unless she has said at least one vile statement to every member of staff she encounters. She is most angry that one of our team used anti-ageing products on her (she's the tail end of 60). We now have a meeting before each of her visits as we play a game to remove everything she finds "dreadful, irritating, rude, frustrating and annoying," to see what fresh spite she can create each month. Although I think four years of this is probably enough and I should invite her to use another salon! I have to keep repeating to myself "it's not personal."

My current crowning glory is that I'm going to court in a couple of months as someone is suing me for a £17 "no show" fee which she has added £150 damages to! She left a voicemail after we closed on a Sunday stating " I know I had an appointment some time this weekend but I couldn't remember when so I'd like to reschedule."

My patience has run thin after 30 years and in the timeless words of Mae West ~ "Her tongue was covered in bite marks from all the things she never said." I'm terrified that one day I will say "Madam, what did you f@~*&%g expect!"

Rubywoo, your once a month nightmare client. I would take a 50/50 punt and call her bluff. Politely explain that you and your staff have tried your best but are very disheartened that she is never satisfied... so you think she should find somewhere else to visit in future. She will either do just that or she will capitulate and realise she needs to mind her tongue or else she’ll be out the door. If she’s been coming to visit for so long she’s obviously comfortable with you and likely won’t relish the idea of upsetting her routine and finding somewhere new. It’s a trick that’s worked for me a couple of times, after the confrontation they were as sweet as sugar, lol!

That's exactly what's happening next month Alison!

Client wanted a blow dry last Saturday at 5.30- 6.00.
We shut at 5.00 on a Saturday.

As we have recently relocated to the area, I smile sweetly and say I will stay late, and blow dry her hair.

Client arrives - late.:mad:

Has a quality coffee, shampoo/massage/blow dry.........45 mins....:)

Spends the duration of the appointment slating all the other salons in the area for being - in her opinion -
'Way too expensive!

My back is up.

Her 'Way too expensive....' was anything over £15.00... which SHE had decided was the right price.o_O

After all, it's not like it's difficult.....there's no real skill to it..!

i had a lady in last week, for a full head tint + cut & blow dry. i had had a cancellation so had the room to fit her in. great i thought! perfect timing...nnaaaat! i am still fuming about it now!!!!
complained ALL the way through, within 10 mins of colour sitting on her hair 'my head is itching - should i feel this way?' i thought she's having me on, so i said come to the basin i'll take it off. 'no it's ok ill be fine!' there we are then.. she said it herself! left it on.
anyway took the colour off, she kept saying her scalp is sore, tender, very sore etc... absolutely no sign of allergic reaction or any scalp inflammation (i made sure to take pics!)
the way she spoke was intimidating, gobby and i had very odd vibes, honestly thought she had taken drugs at one point..
spoke rudely about people to her friend who was with her...
she had BLACK all over tint and we were very cautious not to get any on her skin, she had a perfect hair line but obviously it will stain her scalp. bare in mind there was nothing on her face !!! she moaned and moaned how unhappy she was that it was on her forehead (her f$^££ng HAIRLINE) in the end i said have it for nothin :mad: it was soooo obvious that was what she wanted all along :mad::mad:
she visibly relaxed as soon as i said that and her friend raised her eyebrows and smiled at her once i said it! i didn't notice that but my colleague did.
i was literally shaking when i trimmed her hair
i feel i should add she is from a community that gets a lot of stick, but i have lots of customers from that community who are so lovely and kind and appreciative and then she comes in and does a metaphorical shit all over them, and me
i had visions of me calling the police if i had a dispute with her, but i thought nah, her family would sooner be in the salon than the police and i would of been potentially making my way home with broken bones :(
as i read on here, 'lose the battle to win the war'

Client wanted a blow dry last Saturday at 5.30- 6.00.
We shut at 5.00 on a Saturday.

As we have recently relocated to the area, I smile sweetly and say I will stay late, and blow dry her hair.

Client arrives - late.:mad:

Has a quality coffee, shampoo/massage/blow dry.........45 mins....:)

Spends the duration of the appointment slating all the other salons in the area for being - in her opinion -
'Way too expensive!

My back is up.

Her 'Way too expensive....' was anything over £15.00... which SHE had decided was the right price.o_O

After all, it's not like it's difficult.....there's no real skill to it..!

I opened a year ago. [emoji15] I used to do that for clients, every single last one of them that I did it for were not loyal and ended up doing what suited them, which is fine but I now stick to my guns and do the hours I’ve agreed with myself. No more favours on after hours or late nights. Not a single one of those ones still comes to me a year on.
I think everyone should have a time where they have to be self employed so they understand how bloody expensive, worrying, sickness, holidays so they understand why we charge what we charge. After all as she says if there is no skill involved why didn’t she do it herself? Xxxxxx

i had a lady in last week, for a full head tint + cut & blow dry. i had had a cancellation so had the room to fit her in. great i thought! perfect timing...nnaaaat! i am still fuming about it now!!!!
complained ALL the way through, within 10 mins of colour sitting on her hair 'my head is itching - should i feel this way?' i thought she's having me on, so i said come to the basin i'll take it off. 'no it's ok ill be fine!' there we are then.. she said it herself! left it on.
anyway took the colour off, she kept saying her scalp is sore, tender, very sore etc... absolutely no sign of allergic reaction or any scalp inflammation (i made sure to take pics!)
the way she spoke was intimidating, gobby and i had very odd vibes, honestly thought she had taken drugs at one point..
spoke rudely about people to her friend who was with her...
she had BLACK all over tint and we were very cautious not to get any on her skin, she had a perfect hair line but obviously it will stain her scalp. bare in mind there was nothing on her face !!! she moaned and moaned how unhappy she was that it was on her forehead (her f$^££ng HAIRLINE) in the end i said have it for nothin [emoji35] it was soooo obvious that was what she wanted all along [emoji35][emoji35]
she visibly relaxed as soon as i said that and her friend raised her eyebrows and smiled at her once i said it! i didn't notice that but my colleague did.
i was literally shaking when i trimmed her hair
i feel i should add she is from a community that gets a lot of stick, but i have lots of customers from that community who are so lovely and kind and appreciative and then she comes in and does a metaphorical shit all over them, and me
i had visions of me calling the police if i had a dispute with her, but i thought nah, her family would sooner be in the salon than the police and i would of been potentially making my way home with broken bones [emoji20]
as i read on here, 'lose the battle to win the war'

I wouldn’t of cut her hair... I had this from I think the same community once. I coloured her hair and refused to take anything else to do with it. Someone else took over. That may not sound professional but I don’t get paid enough for that. I won’t be bullied by anyone, it doesn’t matter what background you are from. We are all human and everyone should respect everyone no matter what walk of life you are from. If she try’s to come in again I would say that because you’ve had a possible skin reaction I can now therefore never colour your hair again following my insurances instructions. Which is not a lie. Always make sure you skin test at least 48 hours prior to appointment. It’s a legal requirement. Xxxxx

I wouldn’t of cut her hair... I had this from I think the same community once. I coloured her hair and refused to take anything else to do with it. Someone else took over. That may not sound professional but I don’t get paid enough for that. I won’t be bullied by anyone, it doesn’t matter what background you are from. We are all human and everyone should respect everyone no matter what walk of life you are from. If she try’s to come in again I would say that because you’ve had a possible skin reaction I can now therefore never colour your hair again following my insurances instructions. Which is not a lie. Always make sure you skin test at least 48 hours prior to appointment. It’s a legal requirement. Xxxxx

when she came in her hair was all colours, red, purple, dark brown etc and patchy (home job).
i didn't go in-depth with the cut as quite frankly i couldnt be arsed for the hassle, am kicking myself now thinking i should of done this should of done that... i think it's fair to say we won't be seeing her again.. still winds u right up though don't it?? :mad:
i agree, it doesn't matter what background u are from we should all be treated with respect and professionalism, all the way through i just kept saying to myself 'REMAIN PROFESSIONAL!'

Over the last six years I have seen a marked increase in people gearing up to be trouble, I even have a 100% success rate at spotting them. So much so that we now have a reporting system in the salon that starts to build a legal defence immediately. We have a mark on their records that if they question it means they're a "VIP" client, however, it means they're high risk and there is a secondary filing system where these records are kept. We document every piece of contact they have with the salon, telephone calls, treatments and products used, every unpleasant thing they do and say. Then when we are ready to end their client journey with us we have court ready documentation. As I mentioned previously, this has come in exceptionally useful with a current small claims court case I have coming up over a £17 now show charge. This infuriates me, but it is keeping me safe from the princess mentality that thinks they can treat therapists appallingly and behave how they like towards the business. I used to take it very personally but now I'm beginning to find it fun, it's very freeing being able to confidently ask people to leave.

Last edited:
Interesting......
I completely agree with you, the 'looking for trouble' mentality is rife!
Isn't it awful!

I feel so disheartened when I think back to how folk used to be.:(
It was so much easier to WOW your client.

Now days they've all become 'know-it-all's.:p

I think I might adopt some of your ideas with regard 'evidence collecting', for self preservation! :cool:

Evidence collecting has proven life saving for me. I had a particularly unpleasant woman who I knew was going to do something awful (I knew I should have terminated our relationship much earlier), when she uttered the fateful words "my parents can't afford to pay for my weddings!". Thankfully I had been building a case since day one, she accused me of burning her face and ruining her wedding. She had used a make-up artist I know on the day who saw no trace of a burn, I contacted the wedding venue and wedding organiser who all offered to support my case as witnesses and one of them even told me which photographer she used, so I found her wedding photographs online. I even lifted pictures off her social media pages with dates. When the insurance assessor arrived he informed me that he had never seen record keeping like it in 30 years of doing his job and that I had basically done his job for him. My evidence pack was sent to her solicitor with the recommendation that if she took things any further she would be placed on the insurance fraud register. Oddly, I never heard another peep from her again. The power of detailed record keeping is a sounds nights sleep.

Last edited:

Rubywoo... you have the patience of a saint...

Latest posts

Back