Where to go from red?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemansamsmum

Reaction score
Hopping over from beauty here!

My very lovely hairdresser dyed my hair a beautiful violet red shade a few months back - I love the colour and how vibrant it is, however the fade is annoying, but I'm keeping on top of it with top ups of colour. What I am finding hard is the staining of towels, tops of my clothes that are pale, bed sheets etc! So Am thinking of changing to something that doesn't leave me running for cover when it rains!!!

My hairdresser has left the salon last week and I am moving house in a month to 150 miles away so I need to find a new stylist etc. I have some regrowth majorly coming through now so am wanting it done soon!

I just wonder what would be best colour to go for? I don't want to go dark brown or black as it pales me out - I'm green eyed, and naturally a hazelnut brown. Could a good colourist strip the red and send me blonde or honey sort of colour? I want something edgy and vibrant still as that fits with my vintagey retro style!!

i would really suggest you try to call your current salon, and ask them for your formula as you are moving and would want your next stylist to be aware of whats on your hair. also, pay mind to if she is using a demi, semi, permanent and what color line.

if it is a color that is a direct dye, stripping it will be hard on your hair.
a light brown may be possible. i would definately do a few consultations with new stylists to find out which fits best. good luck and keep us updated!

What i would do is use Elimin8 to take out your hair color, usually what this does is leave your hair color to a bright yellow/orange color. Sit for one day to neutralize and then highlight/lighten/color. Theres many ways.

Thank you - I've got a consultation with my current salon tomorrow morning - to see if I can have it done before I move - as I'd like it done sooner rather than later! I'm hoping they can balayage it in some way!

Using a colour reducer may not remove any colour. I've never seen it take a colour to a yellow orange. If you want to stay red but fed up of the fade/ bleeding suss out a goldwell elumen stockist...mine is done every 4 - 6 weeks ONLY because my roots annoy me apart from that the color remains vibrant I between appointments.

Been for my consultation - they have suggested covering the red with a base of 6 as I'm naturally quite a warm shade and then using a balayage effect with pre-lightener to bring up to an orange and then toning to a caramel shade.
She's taken a strand test but only issue is they have had loads of staff leave so they have no one available for 3 weeks 😳
I'm also concerned that if they tone the orange to caramel will that wear off eventually and I'll have orange balayage?

Not sure I can wait 3 weeks anyway! Might need to find my old stylist or somewhere with more staff :(

That idea screams tabby cat to me!

They would have to be very experienced to do one colour on the regrowth one colour on the ends, wash then baylage without causing banding.

I was slightly concerned so have spoken to a hairdresser who has been highly recommended and she has said definitely not to do that and to cover with a light brown and give my hair a chance to grow/tone the red out naturally before adding lighter bits! She sounds a lot more knowledgeable to me - especially as that adds up with what you have said! And she can fit me in within the 3 weeks!!!

Latest posts

Back