Which course to choose?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartaK

Reaction score
Hi there! I’m a full time working mum who doesn’t get much time to go to the salon these days (by the time I get home from work it’s normally closed and days off are spent with the littles) I’m therefore considering doing my own gel/shellac nails. Now I know you have to be qualified to buy the products and I know it’s not something any old Tom,dick or Harry could do so I’m thinking of doing a course so I’m doing everything safely and properly. I have 0 interest or time in making a business out of this it’s purely so I can treat myself and this is the only way I can think of how.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a course I could do purely for gel polish application? Not interested in acrylics or anything like that. I’ve seen really cheap ones on Groupon but am dubious if they are actually good and whether the certificates you get from those would allow me to purchase from trade sites. I don’t want to wreck my nails so want to do a proper course, on the flip side I need a course I can do preferably from home. If I could get out the house to do a course I’d just go salon instead to get it done by professionals.

Any advice?

TIA :)

Hi there! I’m a full time working mum who doesn’t get much time to go to the salon these days (by the time I get home from work it’s normally closed and days off are spent with the littles) I’m therefore considering doing my own gel/shellac nails. Now I know you have to be qualified to buy the products and I know it’s not something any old Tom,dick or Harry could do so I’m thinking of doing a course so I’m doing everything safely and properly. I have 0 interest or time in making a business out of this it’s purely so I can treat myself and this is the only way I can think of how.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a course I could do purely for gel polish application? Not interested in acrylics or anything like that. I’ve seen really cheap ones on Groupon but am dubious if they are actually good and whether the certificates you get from those would allow me to purchase from trade sites. I don’t want to wreck my nails so want to do a proper course, on the flip side I need a course I can do preferably from home. If I could get out the house to do a course I’d just go salon instead to get it done by professionals.

Any advice?

Hi there I don’t think there is a course you can do from home other than look on you tube and buy your equipment, I’ve just signed up to do a bio sculpture course but you do have to leave the house so that’s not much help unless you get a mobile nail technician to do your nails in your home

Hi there I don’t think there is a course you can do from home other than look on you tube and buy your equipment, I’ve just signed up to do a bio sculpture course but you do have to leave the house so that’s not much help unless you get a mobile nail technician to do your nails in your home

I’ve seen a few online that are online only but not sure if the certificates from those would be valid to order off websites like ellisons, sweet squared. I’ve looked at mobile technicians too but sometimes I don’t get home until 9-10pm. :(

Any advice?

The home use kits from places like Boots and QVC are perfectly acceptable and specifically aimed at those who wish to do their own nails like you. A decent course is going to be hundeds of pounds and weeks of study. A cheap, poor quality course will do more damage than a good DIY kit.

The home use kits from places like Boots and QVC are perfectly acceptable and specifically aimed at those who wish to do their own nails like you. A decent course is going to be hundeds of pounds and weeks of study. A cheap, poor quality course will do more damage than a good DIY kit.

Okay that’s interesting to know, I’ve heard to steer clear of brands like Blue Sky ect as they can damage your nails. Are they any particular home kits you’d recommend? I’ve seen the Mylee one or SensationNail on the boots website.

Okay that’s interesting to know, I’ve heard to steer clear of brands like Blue Sky ect as they can damage your nails. Are they any particular home kits you’d recommend? I’ve seen the Mylee one or SensationNail on the boots website.

I've heard good things about the SensatioNail kit from Boots, like with professional kits stick within one brand so always use and buy SensatioNail products with their lamp. The system is designed to work together with no issues. The problems occur when people buy different brands and start using X Brand colours, Y Brand topciat, Z Brand Base, etc. This is when allergies start, products don't cure correctly, etc.

If a product is cheap on eBay its unlikely to be good quality, allergies are not a game and on the rise, be smart, you've already demonstrated you're not stupid by asking the right questions, trust in the replies you get from professionals not other DIYers who'll tell you it's fine to mix and match. It's not.

Latest posts

Back