Which people to market to/price for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
I do extensions and find if I have a lot of people message me interested in hair extensions but then say they can't afford the prices I sent them.

My prices in 20'' are
£185 for Indian 4 months lifespan
£210 for Indian 6 months plus lifespan
£250 Brazilian 12 month lifespan.

I thought my prices were quite reasonable:/ even with the £185 i still have people say they can't afford it so thinking of maybe getting rid of it and just have the other two prices which will hopefully attract new customers who arnt just looking for the cheapest deal?
Does anyone else get these problem of people just wanting it cheap as possible?

I've read a few times that you should have an 'anchor' price -"one that seems really high, and then have it along side your other prices. Don't be dropping your prices though, if they can't afford them they are not the clients for you.

I personally think those are quite cheap, but then it does depend on your area and the method you are offering.

I agree with Katy, but I would personally raise your top end price and your middle a little as then it will make your budget look cheaper than it is, plus you'll actually make more off your higher end as you will find that people are willing to pay a premium for quality.

I personally think those are quite cheap, but then it does depend on your area and the method you are offering.

I agree with Katy, but I would personally raise your top end price and your middle a little as then it will make your budget look cheaper than it is, plus you'll actually make more off your higher end as you will find that people are willing to pay a premium for quality.

Yea that's what I would do. Bump up the mid and high price. Leave the budget as is. Don't drop it. There will always be some who will pay for the premium hair but majority will go for the budget.
My partner has his own gym and this is how his membership pricing is done. Works well.

I don't understand how these prices are so cheap anyway? I can't get Brazilian hair for less than the price you charge to supply and fit?

As for people to market at, for me, I go for the people who've had disappointing crappy cheap hair experiences that's caused them problems & upset and I offer them a luxury (for my area anyway) service for people who are sick of cheap tatt, I get recommendations through clients I've fitted and ware them myself as a talking and selling point, my cheapest hair is £230 without fitting at £20 an hour, but for that they get no nonsense hair extensions that will last a year, those are the kind of clients I want :) their happy to pay because I give them what others don't :)

I don't understand how these prices are so cheap anyway? I can't get Brazilian hair for less than the price you charge to supply and fit?

As for people to market at, for me, I go for the people who've had disappointing crappy cheap hair experiences that's caused them problems & upset and I offer them a luxury (for my area anyway) service for people who are sick of cheap tatt, I get recommendations through clients I've fitted and ware them myself as a talking and selling point, my cheapest hair is £230 without fitting at £20 an hour, but for that they get no nonsense hair extensions that will last a year, those are the kind of clients I want :) their happy to pay because I give them what others don't :)

My Brazilian hair is eurphiaone 160 strands and have added £70 on for fitting.
So you charge £230 for the hair and then £20 a hour fitting on top?
Iam still building a client base I haven't been doing extensions long / around 9 months so am happy to not charge as much as people in my area that have been doing them for years X

I charge £100 for fitting so my cheapest are extensions are £180 for a full head based on prestige 14"

I think surf girl has an excellent point, there is plenty of business to go around even with all the competition, it's finding the correct way to market yourself that enables you to charge what you want.

I personally think too many people undervalue themselves, you should charge what you think you are worth and market yourself accordingly.

Personally cheap prices put me off as it gives the impression that the product will be cheap and not last.

Hair extensions are an investment as they aren't cheap to purchase initially or to care for properly. If they complain about you been to expensive then it's a good sign they won't be willing to purchase the correct aftercare products or maintain the hair properly.

My Brazilian hair is eurphiaone 160 strands and have added £70 on for fitting.
So you charge £230 for the hair and then £20 a hour fitting on top?
Iam still building a client base I haven't been doing extensions long / around 9 months so am happy to not charge as much as people in my area that have been doing them for years X

You don't have to undervalue yourself to build a client base. If you start off cheap then your clients will always expect that and it will make it hard to increase prices in the future.

I'll use a customer of ours as an example, they trained with us around a month or two ago in the following methods - Mini Tip, Ultra Tip and Hollywood Weave. This is the first hair extension course so they are newly qualified, I must note though that they are a qualified hairdresser.

Since training they have really gone out and started to build a solid client base for themselves, they have marketed themselves brilliantly and they produce some excellent work.

They aren't cheap, I've included there price list below to show you there range of prices and the way that they market themselves, which I personally think they are doing a great job of doing!

It just shows that if you market yourself correctly people will pay a higher price.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 132
You don't have to undervalue yourself to build a client base. If you start off cheap then your clients will always expect that and it will make it hard to increase prices in the future.

I'll use a customer of ours as an example, they trained with us around a month or two ago in the following methods - Mini Tip, Ultra Tip and Hollywood Weave. This is the first hair extension course so they are newly qualified, I must note though that they are a qualified hairdresser.

Since training they have really gone out and started to build a solid client base for themselves, they have marketed themselves brilliantly and they produce some excellent work.

They aren't cheap, I've included there price list below to show you there range of prices and the way that they market themselves, which I personally think they are doing a great job of doing!

It just shows that if you market yourself correctly people will pay a higher price.
Jeeeeeebs 360g of hair my heads feeling heavy just thinking about it that must be for clients with/wanting extreeeeeeeeemly thick hair!

Do you have any tips on good ways to market yourself? X

Do you have any tips on good ways to market yourself? X

Research. That is the single most important thing in my eyes, look at your area, competition and your brand vision. See what isn't currently tailored for in your area and try advertise towards those people, just like Katy and surf girl have done. You need to decide what price level you want to target and adapt your business around it. Look and feel professional.

There is plenty of business around, it's just getting your chunk of it and going about it the right way.

Last edited:
Your prices should be a reflection of your skill set. The best advertising is through social media and posting before and afters and making sure your work is up to par and it should speak for itself.

Some really good advice an info on this thread!! Applies to other aspects of the job too!

I just have trouble actually displaying the prices to be honest. do yu all list every length and every weight available for each level?

You could do it that way, I know lots that do, I just say prices from £300

Sorry I know this is an old post but do any of you offer payment plans like the client that additional lengths posted about? I quite like the idea but wondering how you work it? Pay for the hair over a period of time before the fitting?

Personally I'd do it like a savings club to be safe otherwise they could pay a small amount and have fitting and never pay the rest, it would cost you a lot to chase the client through court etc for the money. However from a consumer perspective they would want to have the hair fitted and pay it off afterwards just like a catalogue I suppose, so you'd need to find a balance between safety for you and appeal to the customer

Latest posts

Back