Which scissors do you use? Which do you recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjamjarz

Reaction score
Ok so start my private hairdressing course not this coming week but next after junioring since march! :Dsoooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!

However I've been told that the scissors they provide in my kit are a bit rubbish so to consider buying my own.

What would you recommend are easy to use and not too expensive for first time? Size?? If I was to buy a more dear pair is it true you can ruin them? :/ don't know loads about scissors lol!!

So all you scissor geeks that answer thanks in advance!! :) I'll be one of you soon! :D (hopefully lol!) xxx

the scissors that came in my kit were rubbish! your probably best to start with 5.5's......my first pair was jaguar....you can usually get them brand new on ebay from around £40.......quite decent for my first pair x

Wooo slow down!! Don't run before you can walk!! You have more to learn before cutting than you think!! Stick with your training scissors Till you have stopped cutting yourself

I used to have a friend that was the manager of a wholesalers branch & these kits are always done at a price! One thing I have learned over the years is that you only get what you pay for in life....

Personally I always go for Japanese scissors as I love the sharpness of the blades. They have a completely different feel to them than say a German blade. If you are getting the kit anyway then perhaps you should wait... Save your money up & wait till there is a vat free day at your local wholesaler & then buy yourself a pair of Jowell scissors.

Of course there is Salon coming up next month at eXCel in London & you could go and look at the different manufacturers & try some out. I did buy a couple of cheap pairs of scissors about 4 years ago at a show because I wanted a few different sizes... I might as dell have thrown the money away as I would have been better off saving the money till I could afford what I really wanted!

If you are going to still be using a block to practice cutting on, use your rubbish scissors for that. Dont buy a good pair then start using them on the block as it will most likely blunt the blades.

Hey yeah I know I have a lot to learn before I do cutting as I have been working in a salon since march and already know how to highlight and colour ect. But I just wanted to start getting in mind whether I should start training as it's only a nine month course and he will show me what I want as keen as I am to learn so yeah I just wanted to know what type and roughly how much I'd need to look into saving? Thanks so much for your help so far! Xx

Wooo slow down!! Don't run before you can walk!! You have more to learn before cutting than you think!! Stick with your training scissors Till you have stopped cutting yourself

do you ever stop cutting yourself?... lol

i must cut myself once a month... but now it doesnt hurt that much over the scare tissue.. he he

btw i love jaguar scissors =] xx

do you ever stop cutting yourself?... lol

i must cut myself once a month... but now it doesnt hurt that much over the scare tissue.. he he

btw i love jaguar scissors =] xx

Cut my self once in 10 months and that was when I used my new kasho's now my brain is used to the weight of them I never cut myself

I'm lucky if I do a short hair cut without taking some skin lol fine with long hair tho weird xx

Must admit I'm not looking forward to that -.- I hate cuts and blood :S my workmates had never cut herself then cut herself four times in one day!!!!! (new scissors and end of a very busy week) trips back and forth to the first aid box for the junior :D lool x

I like yasaka shears. They are good and affordable. typically most people like 5.5 inch for most cutting. i've used jaguar also and I liked them as well. Check on-line or go to a hairshow for best prices.

As an aside - related to this topic, does anyone else find that scissors under £100 tend to need sharpening more often but sharpen ok where as scissors over £100 don't need sharpening for a few years but when they're done (even with reputable sharpening services) they're useless and no longer cut as well as they did? (the £100 figure is an example and not necessarily exact).
Nick

Latest posts

Back