Please help! What is this after half leg wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellishbellish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in desperate need of your help! I did a girl a half leg wax on Friday (have done it once before on her) and have received a text today off her saying that she has come up in some big red lumps on only one of her legs and in only one area. She's sent me a picture of them and I have no idea what's happened. I've suggested tea tree or aloe vera to help them calm down until I have found out what's happened and I get back to her.

I've uploaded the picture - can anyone shed any light? :(

Attachments

• Chloe's leg 2 days post wax.jpg
    Chloe's leg 2 days post wax.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 5,226
Hi guys,

I am in desperate need of your help! I did a girl a half leg wax on Friday (have done it once before on her) and have received a text today off her saying that she has come up in some big red lumps on only one of her legs and in only one area. She's sent me a picture of them and I have no idea what's happened. I've suggested tea tree or aloe vera to help them calm down until I have found out what's happened and I get back to her.

I've uploaded the picture - can anyone shed any light? :(

Gosh, they look like mozzie bites but I think it must be a histamine reaction .. suggest antihistamine tablets like Piriton.

Jacqui xx

Ooh that looks sore :-(
Looks like she has had a reaction to the wax, although you would think it would be all over her legs.
It looks like bites to me ?
I had a lady a few months ago, 1st in 11 years who reacted and came up in spots and was itchy but that was all over the area.
Maybe tell her to take some anti hystemines aswell as use aloe Vera to cool.
Always worrying when something like this happens, did you give her after care sheet ?

Jo x

Ooh that looks sore :-(
Looks like she has had a reaction to the wax, although you would think it would be all over her legs.
It looks like bites to me ?
I had a lady a few months ago, 1st in 11 years who reacted and came up in spots and was itchy but that was all over the area.
Maybe tell her to take some anti hystemines aswell as use aloe Vera to cool.
Always worrying when something like this happens, did you give her after care sheet ?

Jo x

Thankyou for both of your replies. Yes I always give an aftercare sheet. It just seems a bit weird like you say that it was only in one area and it never happened before.

Do you think this is something I have done? :(

Can I ask, do you know why a histamine reaction could only come up this badly in one area? Could I or the client have done anything? I use cristal ocean pr wax and have never had any other problems so far. I always clean the skin with blue lotion before and apply a bit of Jasmine oil. I applied the moisturising milk afterwards. She was a bit pink as normal but there wasn't anything like this when she left.

Thankyou for both of your replies. Yes I always give an aftercare sheet. It just seems a bit weird like you say that it was only in one area and it never happened before.

Do you think this is something I have done? :(

No I don't think it is anything you have done, it looks like a mozzie bite or a reaction to the wax and/or the heat.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
It doesn't look like you have done any thing wrong, the skin isn't burnt or grazed, they clearly are bumps. Hopefully they will settle down if she looks after them properly, have you asked her what she did after the treatment, maybe she ignored after care and went swimming or for a sauna ?

Jo x

It looks as if she walked through long grass where Mozzies were hiding and they all bit one leg!!!

No I don't think it is anything you have done, it looks like a reaction to the wax and/or the heat.

Jacqui xx

Thanks Jacqui, I needed someone to say that!! I test the wax on the inside of my arm before I wax and it was fine. It is set at about 68/69 on the hive digital heater.

I just don't get why it isn't all over both legs :S

Thankyou SO much for your replies, sometimes this site is a lifesaver, no joke!

It doesn't look like you have done any thing wrong, the skin isn't burnt or grazed, they clearly are bumps. Hopefully they will settle down if she looks after them properly, have you asked her what she did after the treatment, maybe she ignored after care and went swimming or for a sauna ?

Jo x

Thanks for your reply Jo. I haven't actually no, as I'm trying to find a way to word the text to make it sound like I'm not trying to pass the blame etc if you know what I mean. I will ask her though, but again how odd is it that they're just on one leg!! :S

It looks as if she walked through long grass where Mozzies were hiding and they all bit one leg!!!

Haha! Just thinking...she never had this after her first wax...she is booked in for another in a month, what would you advise I do? Perhaps a patch test? Or get her to take anti-histamine before her wax?

I think this looks like bites. Does she have cats at all? If it was a reaction to the wax it would be more likely on both legs although not necessarily. :green:

I think this looks like bites. Does she have cats at all? If it was a reaction to the wax it would be more likely on both legs although not necessarily. :green:

I think she has a dog but she's just moved out of home and so the dog lives with her parents. I haven't texted her back yet, has anyone got any suggestions of what I should say? I'm worried about it coming across as me denying it has anything to do with me and putting it onto her, getting her back up and her not coming back...

Haha! Just thinking...she never had this after her first wax...she is booked in for another in a month, what would you advise I do? Perhaps a patch test? Or get her to take anti-histamine before her wax?

So I'm guessing it was the same wax?

I'm still wondering what she has done with that one leg .. maybe brushed against something or exposed it to something that has caused this reaction?

Maybe you should ask her to try and recall if she has indeed done anything or used anything on that one leg?

I don't think there is much you can do except wax them next month and take the necessary precaution of testing the heat on yourself first.

Then wait and see.

If it happens again then she has a problem. And you may need to identify which of your products are causing the reaction - prewax cleanser, wax or after wax moisturiser.

Jacqui xx

So I'm guessing it was the same wax?

I'm still wondering what she has done with that one leg .. maybe brushed against something or exposed it to something that has caused this reaction?

Maybe you should ask her to try and recall if she has indeed done anything or used anything on that one leg?

I don't think there is much you can do except wax them next month and take the necessary precaution of testing the heat on yourself first.

Then wait and see.

If it happens again then she has a problem. And you may need to identify which of your products are causing the reaction - prewax cleanser, wax or after wax moisturiser.

Jacqui xx

Yeah it was the same wax I tested on me that I used on her legs.

Thankyou for your advice - it is so much appreciated. I will get in touch with her and ask her these things that have been suggested.

OK how to advise her:

You should tell her that you think it is unlikely it is the wax as she was ok the first time but it's a possibility.

That it is unlikely to be the heat as you tested it on yourself first and she herself would have likely told you it was warmer than usual.

That it is strange because it is on one leg only.

And could she take some time to think about what she may have exposed that leg to because it looks like some kind of bite.

She should take antihistamine to reduce the reaction and put Savlon on the affected areas.

And that when she comes in for her wax next month should the same thing happen you will know it is something to do with one of your products and you will eliminate things to isolate the culprit.

But your feeling is, based on the photo, that she has been bitten by something.

If she needs reassurance perhaps visit the doctor.

And that you will check back in with her tomorrow to see how things are.

So long as she feels you are listening to her and trying to help she will be fine and she will trust you.

Sound as if you are in control and you know what you are talking about ok.

Good luck xxx

Looks like flea bites?

I agree with Annemarie it really looks like flea bites or insect bites.

If it had been a reaction then both legs would have reacted.

I wouldn't worry you have given her all the right advice.

Wow, these look just like insect bites.... so much so i'm surprised she's questioned the wax?? Bizarre.... is she trying to pull a fast one?

Firstly, you've waxed her and I assume using the same wax as before too. Also, you use PR Crystal Ocean which is rosin free, which is the element which usually causes allergic reactions. HI can't imagine heat would cause this reaction. I really do not think this is a reaction to waxing. However this is only my opinion.

If you think this is nothing to do with th wax treatment, then I would very kindly explain that from your experience the spots do not look like a reaction to wax or heat and it is unlikely due to the wax as as she has been waxed before by you using the same product and that the reaction is in an isolated area and not all over the leg. Advise her if she's worried to visit her pharmacist or see her doctor as she may need an anti-hystamine if it's an allergic reaction to something or insect bites, but I don't think you should directly advise her to take anti-hystamine for it, We are not doctors or pharmacists. Keep us posted!

.....I'm off to google image search wax reactions now! xx

I agree with Annemarie it really looks like flea bites or insect bites.

If it had been a reaction then both legs would have reacted.

I wouldn't worry you have given her all the right advice.

Hi Pip, although you are correct to say she has given her the client the right advice she should worry (if worry is the right word to use) because that is the difference between a salon and therapist who go the extra mile to make the client feel cared for and valued and one that doesn't give two hoots.

I don't mean to suggest anything detrimental towards you as a therapist, just wanted to tweak and massage your statement a little bit :wink2: :cool:

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back