48 hour patch test?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
So browsing online and saw a salon requires 48 hour patch test for a spray tan...

Is it crazy or is it just me?

I don't do tanning but as a client I always insist on having a patch test as I know I'm sensitive to a number of common hair and beauty chemicals. It caused breathing difficulties at one point so I'm very careful these days. As a hairdresser, I'd personally feel dreadful if any client of mine suffered a similar reaction just because I'd taken a risk not to test. But I respect that others might feel less affected. To me, insisting on patch testing demonstrates a commitment to the welfare of your client and a high degree of professionalism.

My advice is:
1. Check the terms of your insurance policy.
2. If it states to follow manufacturers guidelines, carefully read the information supplied with the product. If it 'recommends patch testing', in legal terms, that really means you should always patch test. As you know, Insurers are bandits, so it's sensible to play it safe.

Also, bear in mind that manufacturers are constantly changing their formulas and your client could be fine for months (years even) and then suddenly develop a reaction to the product.

I don't do tanning but as a client I always insist on having a patch test as I know I'm sensitive to a number of common hair and beauty chemicals. It caused breathing difficulties at one point so I'm very careful these days. As a hairdresser, I'd personally feel dreadful if any client of mine suffered a similar reaction just because I'd taken a risk not to test. But I respect that others might feel less affected. To me, insisting on patch testing demonstrates a commitment to the welfare of your client and a high degree of professionalism.

My advice is:
1. Check the terms of your insurance policy.
2. If it states to follow manufacturers guidelines, carefully read the information supplied with the product. If it 'recommends patch testing', in legal terms, that really means you should always patch test. As you know, Insurers are bandits, so it's sensible to play it safe.

Also, bear in mind that manufacturers are constantly changing their formulas and your client could be fine for months (years even) and then suddenly develop a reaction to the product.

Good point! I use St.Tropez although they recommend a patch test they don't say it's compulsory but I personally have never had to have one from another tech.

Latest posts

Back