A little stuck!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tips2Toes

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post although I have been lurking for some time now!

I was wondering if any of you could give me a little advice?

After working hard at a job I dislike and having our first child I was recently given the oppertunity to follow my dreams and obtain training as a nail technician. I also did basic beaauty training to aid my income. I trained at the ccarlton institute and allthough I feel fine with the beauty courses I feel hardly any better for doing the nails training. I have practiced on my neice (who has badly bitteen nails), my sister and myself. Although not awful I have been far from satisfied with the end result (I'm probably too much of a perfectionist!). also the amount of time it seems to take me is rediculous.

I use gel and seem to be struggling to get a good curve to the nail unless i do loads of coats and file down.

I think i need a little fine tuning on techniques. I have contacted creative but they say I would hve to do the beginners course as i have been trained less than a year. I cannot afford this and think it would be better to get further training rather than struggle on for a year.

Any advice is welcome sorry for waffling!

The trouble is a lot of these courses that teach nail extensions don't make it clear that this is the start of a long road to reaching your goal as a REAL nail artist. If you think about it, the standards we are aiming for are based at NVQ level 3. Now at college in hair and beauty, this takes you 3 years of studying to achieve. So it's not surprising that people are daunted after a short course and wonder why they can't produce a stunning set in 90 minutes. These courses give you the very basics to start practicing and practicing. Neither do they make it clear that you need to attend further training.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not sure if any foundation course teaches you a full removal and an infill and a rebalance. They mention them, but you don't actually get a go at them. These are further courses that you must attend.

I really think that a lot of training establishments are too quick to take your money and not fully explain the implications of your career and training journey that you must embark on. (ooh -errr am I getting controversial now :Scared: !!)

Trust me hun, what you decide to do next may cost you dearly both in time and money. You will be far better starting again and getting first class training than faffing around going for the cheaper option - take it from who's been there, done it and got the overdraft to prove it lol!!

Out of interest, what product are you using at the moment?

I'm currently using salon systems pink builder and white tip gels.

The seem fine and I've had minimal lifting. I did a two day begginers course and we covered removal and infills but not backfills. I'll try to post a picture later on.

The trouble is i am so confused with all of the different names and training that I don't know where to go. I don't want to use my very last cash to end up back in the same place when I've done!

Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Back