Advice needed...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
if i am renting out a space in my salon do i need to provide equipment?

e.g the therapy room? should i by all equipment?

also if i do profit share do i need to provide all equipment e.g for hair dressers or nail technician?

if i am renting out a space in my salon do i need to provide equipment?

e.g the therapy room? should i by all equipment?

also if i do profit share do i need to provide all equipment e.g for hair dressers or nail technician?

I'm not an expert in this area (renting space), but I thought I'd give you my point of view at least.

Regarding therapy room: I would imagine you'd at least have to have it furnished with chair/bed, sink etc. & that the therapist would supply her own beauty products & equipment.

There are a number of threads on here about employed vs self employed and most says that if you (the owner) are renting out to a person who will be self employed, they supply their own products/equipment. If you are renting to someone you will be employing you supply the products/equipment.

As for profit, if you supply the goods you would get part profit (amount negotiable with therapist), if they supply all the products/equipment & are self employed you're not entitled to part profit - and their clientele belong to them.

so if i rent it on a part profit basis i have to supply all furniture /equipment?

I rent a room. I pay a set price each week and the only things provided in my room already were the treatment couch and the sink. I'm very happy with my situation.

I think its your choice TBH. If you are going to rent the room out then you don't need to supply anything, though most people would want a sink. If you employ someone you do need to supply everything. If you rent out on a percentage basis, i don't think you need to supply anything because it is the same as renting, basically.

HTH, though its only my opinion.

thanks i was thinking that..i will do percentage basis. basically they have the nail table there already ive got for them. but will have to get teh rest of stuff. also i will be renting the same person hopefully the tanning room.. and will buy a start up kit.which is a cubicle and machine and they willl have to get rest of whatever they need.

i think that is fair enough as the tanning things aint cheap and i will put it there..the only sink is in the toilet which is right next to the tanning section anyway..

so on this basis do you think a 35% profit share is too much or too little ... i dont want to make it unfair for them but they could earn alot from both the tanning and nails so dont want to make it unfair on myself..?

if i rent it to two different people i was thinking of a 25% share each what do you think?

Last edited:
my hubby is saying it should be 40% or 45% if to a person have the tanning and salon?

and 35% if to two different people?

I rent a room in a salon and i use all my own products and nail and tanning equiptment.
But they provide the nail table there and the chairs.

I think 80% of the time salons dont have the equiptment already there.

hths x

Hi
When I rent out rooms they pay a set amount and get a room with a sink. We paint the room for them and put down nice flooring but thats it. As I understand it, if you do a percentage deal then the salon is liable for vat on the turnover. if the salon gets a set weekly rent then this is vat exempt.
If you are gonna fit out a room and provide products and clients you are better off employing people as you retain ownership of the client base and are taking all the risk with the setup costs anyway.
Hope this helps.
Dawn

but i wont be supplying any porducts to them.. just the chair and stand to the hair stylist, nail table and chair to hte nail tech ... and tann cubicle and machine in the room... unless its not neccessary to put the tan cubicle in the room... but i wont actually buy any other products as its it will amost double the cost... all other equipment blow dryers, nail equip and tann producuts they will have to get..

if that makes sense...

so dont really wont to employ as i dont want to have to get all products etc...

so profit split seemed to make more sense. and gives them more incentive to work and i dont have all the hassle of the holidays etc

Last edited:
i was quite lucky because everything was there chairs nail table backwash i have had to hardly anything..

excpet change sign etc so didnt mind really putting a tann machine there.

Latest posts

Back