Advice re: room renting within chocolate shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essence Within

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, hope you're all well! Im writing for a bit of advice. I am currently looking for a room to rent to practice my holistic therapy from but i also do mani/pedi/waxing and facials. Someone i know is opening a chocolate shop in local town and it has rooms above which she wanted to rent out to beauty type person. I have just rang and one has gone to a person doing 'nails' and the upstairs is an art gallery. She is letting the room for £50 pweek which im thinking would be great for staring up, however, I would loose my nails as cant have two people doing it in one place plus with art gallery above thinking it would seem a bit 'hotch potch' plus it would be noisy possible with people in shop below and upstairs and dont think id do enough just doing my holistics as nails etc is 'bread and butter' as people say. My business advisor said it wouldnt work (when i just knew it was chocolate and beauty' but now with added stuff not sure at all. Going for a look tomorrow as it may not even be what i need but what do you guys reckon?? Would you think 'shop of all sorts' or do you think its worth it for starting off or that i should keep looking for a room that will just be me doing my thing above a hairdressers or such like?? Many thanks x x x:irked:

With a lot of businesses a lot of it is down to what you do to make it a success.

But, if you did your body treatments & did chocotherapy treatments it could work - you would certainly get your own USP and should be able to generate lots of local publicity from it.

Have a look at my thread http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/96837-what-makes-story-good.html to give you some media ideas.

I thought of this last year about opening a salon based around chocolate alone. You have chocolate wax now, choc pedi and mani ranges, choc body wraps, choc facials and choc scented tan! Everything you ever need, plus a source of chocolate to feed your clients on lol! Its just how soon before you feel queasy with the smell of chocolate lol!

Good luck, I think its fab little opportunity and not hard to get your rent back a week from just a few clients.

Kate

Oh and dont listen to business advisors! I have yet to meet one that knows this industry! There all men in suits!

And what if your regulars want a mani? I would still offer them, its not like you are stepping on her toes if you advertise and get those clients come to you ~ your hardly going to send them to her!

Ooh you could grab a bar of chocolate on your way to your beauty treatment.
Can just picture it now-on the couch having a choc pedicure with a bar of chocolate in hand-now that's my idea of bliss :)

thanks guys!!:lol: ive got a sort of good feeling about it and was also thinking of the 'chocolate' themed treatments you could offer. I will see what its like this evening. Really apreciate your advice and replies have a great day x x x

I like the idea. Chocolate is considered an indulgence, much like beauty therapy, so you could end up sharing each others customers.

My only concern is that a combination of food and clinical waste within one premises doesn't sound quite right. So I would recommend a phone call to your councils' health and safety department for advice first:)

jes

you could twist with the chocolate theme and add oranges (choco orange)
or mint and chocolate. that way you wont get tired of the same smell. and it will create variation but keep to your usp.
thats a great idea to have choco shop & beauty

What about offering to promote each others businesses...if someone buys a gift pack of chocolates, could it include a voucher for a facial/massage etc? (To be paid for within the price of the pack, obviously!). You could offer a luxury treatment package, treatments such as a massage, pedicure & facial, with a little selection of chocolates to be enjoyed while they're there...! Bliss!

(I love the idea of building the treatments around a chocolate theme too!)

I'm getting excited for you, I think this would be a lovely idea, very unique. As another Geek has mentioned though, just make sure your health & safety department are satisfied that the food and the beauty sections are totally seperate.

So how did the viewing of the premises go? I'm sure we're all dying to know lol.

If you did go down the chocolate route there is sooooo much scope to work with. I should know as I had a stand alone chocolate business for a while & the joint possibilities are pretty good, as is the retail potential.

Just as a cautionary note, we've been doing chocolate treatments in the salon now for nearly 4 years & it's not everybodys cup of tea (or should that be hot chocolate). They aren't as popular in the summer months either, so while your main theme could be chocolate, you'd probably need alternatives.

Hi geeks! Thanks so much for your interest and great ideas:) I went to view it for 2nd time last night and have said I will take it( £50 pw all in until they can gage howmuch water etc i use then will review it)- I want be able to start up until October(choc shop opens in september) however it will give me time to get sorted with decorating it and getting my products etc ready.
Im just feeling rather nervous as haven't had my own business before and to start with, will be doing part time and keeping my current salon job as I think this is sensible thing to do as dont have a client base yet or know how popular it will be. . But all the issues such as being employed/self employed,tax, working out prices, worrying if people will rate me compared to others with more experience in the area etc etc are engulfing me:cry: im sure this is natural though. Im 25 and think you have to give it a go. I havent taken out any big loans to buy expensive stuff so hopefully will be ok. I just wish I had someone to talk to about retailing products and general stuff, as dont think my boss will be as helpful(even tho she is aware im setting up at some point) when she knows i actually am. Thank god for salon geek!!
Re: chocolate them idea, yes there are lots of choc themed stuff which is great, i think i will invest in say mani/pedi and possibly body treatments at some point but even tho the wax would be great I have a phd system not pot and spatula, plus think it will be good to have both not soley chocolate like you say, its not everyone's cup of tea.
Before I go any ideas or suggestions on things i should do re actual business that i may not of thought of, you guys have been doing it far longer. (i have mentioned h&s re: food and waste to shop owner)

Big thanks geeks- you're advice is invaluable x x x x

I'd just be careful about telling your boss. she may just ask you to leave straight away. I was in the same situation recently and I thought I was doing the right thing by giving my boss 6 weeks notice of me leaving, and then she asked me to leave after 1 week and tat week was horrible, being treated with suspicion and lots of hushed whispers etc. Also, I'm opening up my own salon next week and I've been going to Business Gateway courses. Most are free and they help you out with so so much. Can answer any question you have, I would look into it if I were you. Its made such a difference for me, and you may meet other people you could do some networking with to promote your business. For retailing, do you know which supplier you want to use? I'm opening a hair salon and using Wella, and whilst I'm not very confident with retail, they have a lot of literature on the products and retailing them so I'm sure whoever you are going to use will have something similar?

You should also ask around if there is any grants for you? I know Princes trust do a scheme where if you show them your business plan and do a presentation they can give you an interest free loan or a grant. Specific areas offer different grants too. If I lived 10 miles down the road I would have gotten £2000 to start up, but my council doesn't offer it!

Hope this helps. And don't get stressed out. You have loads of time to get organised. xx

We are offering a really nice White Chocolate Body Wrap which may fit in with the theme. I am sure I could come and show you it. However, you may not get to see it as I would get distracted by all the offerings from the shop :)

hi jo- will keep it in mind- just getting basics sorted first then will look into specialities:) many thanks x

hi jo- will keep it in mind- just getting basics sorted first then will look into specialities:) many thanks x
I really don't mind just coming for chocolate :)

Latest posts

Back