Advice re: Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkStane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've only recently done my Shellac beginners course and would like some advice re removal. The pics are my own nails I've wrapped my nails in foil using nourishing remover and left for the 8 mins but both times I've removed my Shellac I've been left with bits on my nail that I would describe as like glue? I've gone over them with cotton soaked in remover but there's still bits left so I've popped a bit of cuticle away on and went over them with my metal file which gets more away but now I'm concerned I'm scraping too much away and starting to remove some of my natural nail.when I re did my shellac last time I was left with several bumps in it which I'm wondering if it's down to this stuff that's been left behind? Any advice welcome!

Thanks!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441203356.491916.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441203373.233112.jpg

I've just removed form my other hand and this is what they look like after I've used an orange wood stick to push off the shellac that remained.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441203661.743313.jpg

I haven't got a answer for you lovely but mine does the same and I'm so worried I'm scratching the natural nail plate, I do leave mine on a bit longer 10 mins usually but still same result? X

Hiya, are you making sure your base coat is really thin? Sometimes a thick base coat can mean you get this. Also, make sure you're wrapping your nails really tightly. I'm sure others will come up with ideas too.

I would leave the wrap on for longer so less nudging with the stick is needed. Just use a plastic backed pad soaked in NR to remove what's left. hths

I have the same problem but only with certain clients! I have found the more ridge in the nail, the worse it is. I tried soaking for longer and it improved, but not gone totally...

Thin base coat, longer wrapped with remover(unless it's the new Xpress5), heat pads on the hands whilst wrapped, lots of solar oil daily, remover on a plastic backed pad then scrub the nail plate with some pressure to remove excess base coat x

In a situation like this, we tend to look at issues with removal when the problem may be with application. Looking at your pictures and hearing your description, I see what looks like cuticle and base coat clinging to the nails. I would think that this is due to two things, 1) cuticle remaining on the nail prior to application and 2) a too thick application. It is particularly difficult to get a thin application on ridged nails. Try using Cuticle Away to get stubborn bits of cuticle off of the nail. Make sure to neutralize it with a good scrubbing with soap and warm water. For the base coat, try wiping the brush on the inside of the bottle until it is almost dry and then "scrub" it onto the nails. Then apply the color coats very thin. When it is time to remove, make sure the pad is fully saturated and completely in contact with the nails. You might try adding some heat with a flax bag or mittens. Re-wrap if necessary but don't scrape.

Last edited:
In a situation like this, we tend to look at issues with removal when the problem may be with application. Looking at your pictures and hearing your description, I see what looks like cuticle and base coat clinging to the nails. I would think that this is due to two things, 1) cuticle remaining on the nail prior to application and 2) a too thick application. It is particularly difficult to get a thin application on ridged nails. Try using Cuticle Away to get stubborn bits of cuticle off of the nail. Make sure to neutralize it with a good scrubbing with soap and warm water. For the base coat, try wiping the brush on the inside of the bottle until it is almost dry and then "scrub" it onto the nails. Then apply the color coats very thin. When it is time to remove, make sure the pad is fully saturated and completely in contact with the nails. You might try adding some heat with a flax bag or mittens. Re-wrap if necessary but don't scrape.

Thanks I'll try that.xx

Spot on NancySyd, put a new set on this morning almost scrubbing on the basecoat as you said and when I removed them tonight the Shellac fell off like it does in the videos! Thank you so much!

For regular top coat wrap for 10 minutes not 8.. But you need to try the xpress 5 I love it, it really does just fall off in 5 minutes, by the time I've wrapped all 10 nails it's about time to go to the first nail again and start pulling them off.. Also what do you wrap your nails with do you use foils or something like pro tip clips? I love the clips for when removing enhancements due to how easy it is to scrape off the softened product and then just clip them back on again, but with shellac I find the foil helps keep heat in and removes like a dream with a little twist and a pull :) x

For regular top coat wrap for 10 minutes not 8.. But you need to try the xpress 5 I love it, it really does just fall off in 5 minutes, by the time I've wrapped all 10 nails it's about time to go to the first nail again and start pulling them off.. Also what do you wrap your nails with do you use foils or something like pro tip clips? I love the clips for when removing enhancements due to how easy it is to scrape off the softened product and then just clip them back on again, but with shellac I find the foil helps keep heat in and removes like a dream with a little twist and a pull :) x

Thanks! I actually have a bottle of xpress5 and will be on to it as soon as I finish my current bottle! Do you wrap for 10 minutes with nourishing remover? I've heard some people use pure acetone but I've never tried it.xx

Thanks! I actually have a bottle of xpress5 and will be on to it as soon as I finish my current bottle! Do you wrap for 10 minutes with nourishing remover? I've heard some people use pure acetone but I've never tried it.xx

I use pure acetone but I always put a drop of solar oil on the nail before hand to minimise the drying effect the acetone has before wrapping HTH x

I use pure acetone but I always put a drop of solar oil on the nail before hand to minimise the drying effect the acetone has before wrapping HTH x

Yes it does, thank you.xx

Latest posts

Back