Am I a bad mother

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

Massively Geeky
Reaction score
:Scared: Right here goes, bit nervous about posting this thread but am interested in what you all think.

My 9 year old daughter cannot stop biting and picking her nails so at the weekend I put a full set of clear CND L&P on for her. She is over the moon with them, hasn't put them near her mouth or picked them. I did struggle a little as her nail beds are badly bitten and very small but was fairly pleased with the end result (although a little ski e fied). I explained to her the only reason I was putting them on was so her own nails would have a chance to grow. I've tried attaching a picture for you to see but the file is too big will have to play with it tonight at home and see if I can send it then.

So I'm interested to know what you think, am I a bad mother for doing this, is she far too young etc etc. :o

x

hi matey!

Just my opinion, i think its a bit young BUT saying that i also have a little girl of 3 who keeps bugging me for WHITE TIPS all the time.... she would have a set on if she could !!! So i know what position you are in!

Just be careful, keep and eye out for any probs/reactions and hope that she is so pleased with them it makes her stop biting and picking so within a short period she can have them off and her own nails just nicely polished.

hope i havent offended !

AMb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think you are a bad mother at all. If this helps your daughter to be more aware of her hands and nail care then better start them young. I do a regular manicure on mine - that is about as long as they will sit for LOL - they are 8.

As long as they are very short and will not hinder her school stuff then good luck to you both.

Please keep us posted as to how she gets on with them and if it "cures" her of her biting.

Hi Pauline,
I think by posting this thread you probably think your daughter is too young for nail enhancements :wink2: But has a mother of a nail biter myself I know we will try and do anything to stop the habit. With my daughter I tried everything going to try and stop her and at 12 I did apply nails for her, But unlike your daughter she even bit these off lol.
I would never do a 9 year old nails with enhancements as a client but do, do manicures and nail polish etc on younger kids
But because you are a nail tech with a nail biting child I can see why you have done it, I just hope it works and she manages to kick the habit asap.

Hi, personally i do think its too young but dont know what i will do if my child ever asks me (apart from be worried as he is boy and only 8 months - hee hee).

Just now be prepared for a barrage of her friends at your door desperate for enhancements!

Look forward to seeing the pic.

XX

If you're a bad mother, then I am too!

My 10 year old not only bites her nails, she also chews up the eponychium. I did the smallest little free-edge and she was able to leave them alone long enough (about 1-1/2 weeks) for her own nails to grow a bit. Thank goodness their nails grow so fast when they're young! I wanted them to start popping off by themselves so I didn't do any prep other than cleaning the nail plates really well with scrubfresh and tidying up her cuticles. Worked like a charm and she now has her own beautiful natural nails!

No I dont think you're a bad mother.
Try and post the piccie and keep us informed :)

If it works for your daughter, then great, but personally I would not, as when I trained, we were told not do do enhancements on anyone under the age of 16 as they had not finished developing, My daughter is 12 fortunately for me she has never bitten her nails, But she always has a painted french or nail art, and she is very happy with this.

Hope I've done this right !!!! I started to get a bit choked up when I saw there was some replys to my post :cry:and even more so when I started reading them but I feel much better now, thanks guys for your support. I do think she is very young and I wouldn't do a set for anybody else this age. I will keep you posted on how she gets on with them. It's half term at the mo so I'm keeping a close eye on them and will keep them as short as possible, I've even filed them shorter since this picture was taken on Saturday. I just hope it helps her to take more care of her hands and nails.

Thanks again
:Love::hug:

Your are NOT a bad mother...you just wanted her to stop biting them nails of hers....sounds like a careing loving mother to me...xxx

My daughter is 9 and has been biting her nails a little....not to much....she loves having her nails painted with little flowers and stars......i have told her i only paint nice nails...so if she bites them, i wont paint them. Also knocking money of her pocket money for everytime i catch her biting them helped...now thats a mean mother...lol

she will thank you for it in the long run, when she has nice natural nails and no longer bites them. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

just seen the pic...they look nice and natural.....personally though i think i would do them just a tad shorter....i would hate for her to catch 1

no wonder she is pleased with.....xxx

Hi there - I don't have children but in my opinion I think you sound like a responsible, caring and protective mother! I do agree about making them a touch shorter though - you never quite know what they can get up to and it's so easy to catch your fingers even when you're used to wearing nails! Fingers crossed that she is bowled over by them and stops biting completely! x

Hi pauline, no defo not a bad mother!! i have an 8 year old who used to blue-tack my tip cuttings on her own nails lol!!! now she has her natural nails painted in pale colours for school and has little extensions on for very special occasions or sometimes during the holidays (with airbrushing too of course), i thinks its good to encourage them to look after their nails at an early age and if youre applying little extensions to help prevent her from nibbling and it works then why not? my daughter has even resorted to pinching my cuticle oil and hiding it in her school bag!!! :D

Zoe x oh i saw the pics and they look lovely!

No...you are not a bad mum. You are doing it because you care and because no other thing has stopped her biting habit. I try the same if my daughter started biting her nails....luckily she doesn't. I also paint and decorate her nails in the hope she continues to look after them etc. I saw your picture and they looked really nice. You will have to post a picture when her nails grow!!xx

you are a good mum,
you are concerned and as a nail technician you are doing something about it.
personally from the picture you have done a brilliant job on your daughters nails and as you said you have shortened the nails scince the photo.

OMG you lot know how to make someone feel heaps better,:biggrin: thanks again :hug: to all of you.

WEll i dont think you are a bad mother. I have a 6 year old boy who is driving me crazy withhis nail biting. I cant STAND IT!!!!!! I bought some of that nail bite stuff from boots and hey presto it worked! well on his nails it did but NOW he has started chewing the tips of his fingers and down the back of them (not near his nails) it looks like a mouse has been nibbling them. it is horrible. i told him if he didnt stop doing it i am sending him to school with plasters on every finger so he "promised" (ha) that he would not do it tomorrow - will let you know. i told him that it is his choice to whether he has plasters on so he chooses to chew his fingers - result in plasters, chooses to leave them alone - result no humiliation, now that is cruel and I WILL do it cause honestly it is driving me round the bend, i wish i hadnt stopped him biting his nails. i also told him that if he did not wear the plasters (should he choose to do so by chewing his fingers) that i would take him to the doctors and he thinks the doctor is going to chop his fingers off! well we will see if it works.

Dont you let anyone say you are a bad mother or look down their snooty little nose at you because fair enough the enhancements might do something to her nails, they might not, but i am sure you have seen enough nail biters stubby fingers (sorry any nail biting geeks but this is a habit i really cannot stand, i just cant bear to watch people doing it, to me it is like running your nails down a blackboard) in your time to know that you dont want her precious fingers and nails to end up like that.

Having seen the nails, I'd say you are not a bad mother at all. I was a bit worried that they were gonna be talons.

Just don't be surprised if she starts another habit to take it's place. Good luck though.

Hi

NO way your not a bad mum at all! I think its nice to encourage young girls to look nice. I dont have a daughter but i do have a niece who is ten now and last year at centre parcs her nails were in a terrible state, so i said if you stop biting your nails i will let you have a manicure in the salon. Well she came in today for a big girls restyle :rolleyes: cut and finish and manicure with nail art. :biggrin: Bless her nails are lovely.

She has even talked me into letting her have some underlying honey coloured highlights lol am a sucker i know.

i think you did the right thing,nipping the nail biting habit in the bud at this age could prevent all sorts of self inflicted trauma and infections for her in the future.as a nail tech you are in the best possible position to prevent the enhancements from doing her any harm.

Latest posts

Back