Am I a bad mother

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course your not a bad mum.

I have to admit that I practiced white tip sculptured acrylic nails on my SON when he was 3!!!! He sat beautifully for 2 hours and we had some fun doing it. He spends a lot of time in my salon and thought it was great to get so much attention! Of course I took them off again not long afterward and his nails were so small I could hardly see what I was doing but it was worth it just for the experience and the bonding exercise. I wouldn't advise anyone else's toddler to have it done of course and there was no intention for them to be a permanent fixture.....

Now his hair extensions at age 4 were a different matter........!!!!!
Jordan%20nails!.JPG

Hey up Pauline for what its worth I think what you've done is fab!

My 9 yr old also bites her nails which sickens me!!!!! And if she hasn't any finger nails to bite she starts on her toes:eek:
I've bin trying to talk her into letting me do something with them for months but she won't have it!!!!
I think they look fab, well done you

Debz xx

Personally I think you did a good job!! It's so hard to watch our children do things to themselves that you know are not good for them. You were nipping a problem in the bud before it got way too out of hand. As long as you feel you are doing the best thing for YOUR child, who cares what anybody else thinks??They are very nice.

Her nails look just like my daughters! lol I did them quite a bit shorter with barely a visible free edge but you said you took them down a bit so they're fine!

Now, Jacq's 3 year old...that's FUNNY!!! omg my husband and I both had a good laugh!

Jacquisu 3 year old OMG how cute is he :hug: and how good is he to sit there while they were being done. BLESS HIM.

I think you`re very brave putting up a post like this, you could so easily have been upset with the wrong sort of replies.
I can just see you blubbering over these posts full of support for you but at the end of the day its no business of anyone else else what you do with your children and if it works for you who can say its wrong.
I hope it works and she stops biting.
Now if you were owning up to bashing her, lol

Hi Debs

You're right I could and probably would have been upset with loads of negative replies, so maybe I got lucky this time and maybe the excitement of becoming a premium geek and sending a couple of posts all got a bit much for me lol. Anyway, I think it was reassurance I was looking for and I received a lot of it which definitely made me feel better.

Courtney still has her enhancements on I'm glad to say, she lost her first one today and funnily enough said "oh mum it just pinged off, I don't even know where it is" think she was scared I was going to make her pay up for a full set, as I must confess I did say if she picked or bit them then she would have to cough up from her savings, not sure if this is in the same league as bashing her pmsl.

I am a mum of an 11yr old daughter who thinks it is wicked to have a mum who does nails. She looks after her finger nails so I have promised that this summer I will apply a baby pink gel to her toes for the holidays. After that, I plan to remove the colour but apply a thin layer of clear which won't be noticed at school until it grows out. So far she hasn't reacted to any product I have used on her so would think your daughter will be fine or am I a bad mum too? Go for it! No, you are not a bad mum, just one who cares and thinks it would help to give it a go.

Hiya....after getting loads of ear bashings from my eldest daughter i have done a french gel overlay on her....i have used clear gel on her b4 to stop her biting but didnt like the idea of french on her as she is only 9...but they do look quite sweet....no tips though till she is at least 21.....lol They are in my gallery if anyone wants a look...xxxx

no way are you a bad mother!in fact the opposite as you are trying to look out for your daughter and she will thank you for it when she is older.I would say no to doing a clients daughter of this age...school p.e,aftercare,still developing etc but you are a nail tech and i'm sure you are going to keep an eye on the nails and look after them for her....some non nail tech parents wouldn't have the knowledge or skills to be able to do this.It is not for beauty you have given her nails but a healthy/habit concern.Who knows where are kids fingers have been?and to then see them putting them in their mouth...I think the picture looks so cute.you can't even tell they are enhancements.good on you for helping her break a habit of a life time. lou x

12 year old tel me about it! sculpt they were really fab here friends were green , next day bit them all off , never again!! as nail tecs how can our daughters still keep biting there nails lell!!!!!
lell said:
Hi Pauline,
I think by posting this thread you probably think your daughter is too young for nail enhancements :wink2: But has a mother of a nail biter myself I know we will try and do anything to stop the habit. With my daughter I tried everything going to try and stop her and at 12 I did apply nails for her, But unlike your daughter she even bit these off lol.
I would never do a 9 year old nails with enhancements as a client but do, do manicures and nail polish etc on younger kids
But because you are a nail tech with a nail biting child I can see why you have done it, I just hope it works and she manages to kick the habit asap.

bless him he will never forgive you if you show him this at his 21st!!!!
jacquisu said:
Of course your not a bad mum.

I have to admit that I practiced white tip sculptured acrylic nails on my SON when he was 3!!!! He sat beautifully for 2 hours and we had some fun doing it. He spends a lot of time in my salon and thought it was great to get so much attention! Of course I took them off again not long afterward and his nails were so small I could hardly see what I was doing but it was worth it just for the experience and the bonding exercise. I wouldn't advise anyone else's toddler to have it done of course and there was no intention for them to be a permanent fixture.....

Now his hair extensions at age 4 were a different matter........!!!!!
Jordan%20nails!.JPG

I think you are a fantastic mum for doing this. (think how unhealthy and unhygeinic nail biting is!!!)

I think its really important to get your kids looking after themselves young. They will thank you for it in the long run. it means they will be in the habit. ie, get them puttin cuticle oil on daily, like they would brush their teeth everyday they should oil their cuticles too. get them using basic skin care. like a nice gentle facial wash instead of soap. you know, all the little things that you should be in the habit of doing.

I think its a nice bonding experience aswell for you to do your childrens nails. plus they will think your the coolest mom in the world!!! lol.

I wish I knew what i know now when i was younger!!
xxxx

No you are definately not a bad mother for putting them on her - if it helps to stop her biting her nails then I think its a great idea! - my 13 year old has enhancements sometimes and I don't think it does any harm. Good for you!!

Courtney's nails are doing great she has lost the odd tip since I first applied them but she has one pinkie just overlayed now and it looks so much nicer than that horrible bitten down look. I'm really proud of her for looking after them and hopefully it won't be too long before they can just be overlayed. I will send you an updated picture soon.

Thanks for all your comments and opinions fellow geeks x

Latest posts

Back