Am I allergic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT

Reaction score
Firstly, a lil information about me, im a fully qualified beauty therapist level 2&3, and have been working in the beauty industry for almost 4 years.
I work on a beauty bar, which only offers limited treatments, and due to finding this so repetitive, i decided to do an acrylic nail course.
I qualified last december, and since then, i only ever kept up the skill on myself or family.

A few months ago, i did my own nails, and had server itching and burning all over my hands. After looking online, i read that using to much monomer could be the cause of this, and this is what i put it down to due to the lack of consistency with this skill.

I did my own acrylics last week, and i did the best job id done, however they started itching slightly but after an hour they were fine.
I did my friends acrylic nails yesterday, and straight after i did a full file and polish pedicure on her mam.
Straight after the pedicure, my little finger on my left hand started itching, it became hot and inflamed. (My friend did tip my dehydrator and a tiny bit did go onto this area) so i guessed it was because of this.
However, this irritation is so bad, that it has kept me awake all night, and ive used cream throughout the night to cool it and stop the itching. My BOTH hands feel itchy tight and hot.

Just a few points:
*I ALWAYS sterilize my tools.
*I use all the high quality salon equipment and products
*This is happening not only when im doing my own nails, but other peoples also.
*My hands always feel itchy after filing peoples nails due to the dust also.

Any tips would be great
Thanks!

You're definitely experiencing a reaction to something. Whether it's just that brand of product or all acrylics/gel polishes, you won't know unless you get professionally tested.

Reactions to 'acrylates' found in all acrylic and Gel nail products is becoming more common.

As it's potentially your livelihood that's affected, your GP might be willing to refer you to a consultant dermatologist for testing to determine exactly what is causing the problems.

I became allergic to Gel products after working with them for about a year. My GP referred me to a Consultant Dermatologist and I was thoroughly tested at the hospital. I can't use any brand of Acrylics or Gels (inc. Shellac) at all.

I started with mildly itchy fingers and it gradually worsened. My finger tips began to swell and then started splitting and bleeding. Unbelievably painful!

Thanks so much for your reply!
Ive been to work today and the burning has been tremendous!
My little finger almost looks like its sunburnt,
I honestly dont think im going to risk using another brand, as this has been so uncomfortable!
I thought it was jus me having this problem, and that maybe I was doing something wrong,
However, after being extremely careful it still happened.
I spoke to someone at work today who used to be a nail tech years ago,
She explained that this was one of the main reasons she stopped doing
acrylics because her nails and hands became so sore after doing set after set.

Im really hoping this steroid cream works,

In fine with shellac, might jus stick to offering natural nail treatments,
Acrylics are really not worth this pain!! X

I get a reaction from certain brands. Starts with the itching, then they get swollen with little blisters. I just wanted to add if you can, be very careful with the steroid creams. They can thin the skin. Avoid any acrylic- based treatments til you get properly tested to determine what exactly is causing it, and take and antihistamine before going to work. Get a tube of cortisone cream to carry with you. Both for any itching that may come at work so you don't overuse the steroid cream.

Hi. I itch when doing L&P and Hard Gel. I use NSI. I haven't tried CND Brisa Gel but I have no problems with Shellac or Brisa Lite. I had a Gelish Mani done at Pro Beauty North last week and had no itching either. I think it's filing dust irritation. I wear Nitrile gloves and make sure I keep everything as dust free as possible. My Dr won't refer me I was told to change my job if that's what I think it is. I love my job so gloves it is. I carry piriton and cortisone cream with me and lots of pairs of gloves. Since I started doing that I have barely had any itching. xx

When I was training we had them done several times and experienced none of this,
I also use nsi, although now im thinking, I used to use asp and didnt have any
Itching/burning, but didnt find this product as durable as the nsi.
Thanks chikaflash for the advice, I did not know steroid creams did that! X

I had a client that had inching turned out it was the cuticle oil once I changed it never had a problem cx

No help and no use speculating what is causing the reaction .. You can only test for that.

Acrylates ... There are MANY different kinds of acrylates and as in the case above , one person is allergic to them all it seems while others are not.

CND Shellac does not contain the types of Acrylates that usually can cause allergy if overexposed to it and the same goes for Brisa.

Where monomers are concerned, CND Retention+ monomer is used happily by many who have found they are allergic to other monomers.

Allergies happen after an accumulation of many exposures ... Once allergic to one chemical in a product you will ALWAYS be allergic to it. And the reaction will be worse at each subsequent exposure.

Follow the advice of chickafish ... Her hubs is a doctor ! Lol

Last edited:
Take a read if the article below regarding allergies. This is information that every tech should be taught and know backwards... It may save your career...

Science Topic: Allergies

Hope that helps

Thanks so much for your reply!
Ive been to work today and the burning has been tremendous!
My little finger almost looks like its sunburnt,
I honestly dont think im going to risk using another brand, as this has been so uncomfortable!
I thought it was jus me having this problem, and that maybe I was doing something wrong,
However, after being extremely careful it still happened.
I spoke to someone at work today who used to be a nail tech years ago,
She explained that this was one of the main reasons she stopped doing
acrylics because her nails and hands became so sore after doing set after set.

Im really hoping this steroid cream works,

In fine with shellac, might jus stick to offering natural nail treatments,
Acrylics are really not worth this pain!! X

Oh honey, I really feel your pain. There is no way to describe just how itchy and painful it is unless you have had the same yourself, and I have. Your fingers feel like they are going to burst.
I found that the steroid cream actually 'fed' my reaction so stopped using it. The only thing that gave me any sort of relief was putting oatmeal in a large bowl with really cold water and sitting my hands in it.
The pain and blistering eventually stopped for me after a few days, you might find after a few weeks your skin starts peeling too.

I now swipe my arm with a product before I actually put it on my nails to see if I react. I know if I do because by the next day there is a red patch and it starts to get itchy.

I can not use any monomers which have the purple/blue tint in them. I can use the NSI Universal Monomer which is a clear formula. No issues for me what so ever! Thank goodness.

I do find that I will normally have a reaction to gels, whether it be gel polishes or builder gels used for enhancements. Even the inhibition layer can cause a reaction with me. I can use gel polishes but I am very careful not to get any on my skin and when applying it on clients I am very aware if I get any on my skin. I wipe it off straight away with antibacterial spray.

It is one of those things that you might just have to work out for yourself the products you are allergic to.

I have tested myself with CND Brisa gel and I had no reaction.

What I did was went to my local suppliers and explained my situation and asked if it was possible to test the products on myself. They were more than happy to assist.

Good luck and I hope your pain stops soon, it will last a good few days and then you will be fine again. xo

Definitely sounds like you're allergic and it's probably not something as simple as "wear gloves next time".

I am severely allergic to all gels but luckily cnd brisa gel is a pleasant exception for me because it is hypoallergenic.

I don't know if you would be able to find something like hypoallergenic acrylics but this would be the sort of thing to look into. Failing that, looking into using cnd brisa gel and and becoming a gel only (hypoallergenic! ) nail tech could be the way forward.

As I said earlier, CND monomer Retention+ works for many technicians that are allergic to other monomers.

I can understand wanting to avoid the unpleasant reaction one could get from testing a liquid on ones skin, but as monomer should never touch yours or your clients skin, you should never do a do-it-yourself patch test at home because all it will prove is that you are allergic to something, some chemical in the monomer and there are many chemicals in monomer so you would be no wiser as to exactly which chemical you were allergic to, all you would be able to ascertain is that you couldn't use that particular monomer because of 'something' in it. Putting uncured monomer on your skin is not a smart thing to do .... I would think most people's skin would redden if uncured monomer was left on it for hours, and it wouldn't prove anything at all.

@ tinkabel .... Many monomers contain the same ingredients in a different, or the same, formula. The blue colouring in some is not something that is a high-risk ingredient and is unlikely to be the chemical that would cause a problem (although anyone could be allergic to anything). Unless one patch tested for only the blue colouring chemical and proved positive for a reaction one could not possibly say it is the culprit ... Only that it may be one of many chemicals that are similar in the blue coloured monomers you personally have tried.

At least one thing is proved to the doubters and bathroom chemists out there ....
Not all monomers are the same. Don't get uncured monomer on your skin. Develop safe working habits as per manufacturers instructions and there is no need to be at a high risk of ever becoming over-exposed to a chemical/s in the liquid.

Thanks for all your advice!
Wearing gloves next time is definitely an option for me,
Im still in pain with it today, not sure how long this burning will last, cannot believe the heat coming from my little finger!
Ive had my first aider at work to wrap it up for me to stop me itching the area tonight,
I cant help it, but this experience has put me off performing acrylics for a very long time,
Maybe il stick to gel polishes instead of nail extensions.

The worse thing is my little finger is so sore, and my most popular treatment
Is brow threading, and the cotton pressing against my little finger KILLS!
:(
I use the nsi products and the monomer is blueish in color..

I will definitely wear gloves when I perform them again :)

I'm having a lot of difficulty with a reaction too, I think mine however to to the alcohol used to remove the sticky layer. Wearing gloves seems to be preventing the same so of reaction; swelling, redness & itching etc. However this means I can't do my own nails :( any advice?

I'm having a lot of difficulty with a reaction too, I think mine however to to the alcohol used to remove the sticky layer. Wearing gloves seems to be preventing the same so of reaction; swelling, redness & itching etc. However this means I can't do my own nails :( any advice?

It sounds like contact dermatitis. (Can't be too sure til you get that checked out though... remember- we're not supposed to diagnose :lol: ) You have to reduce your skin's contact with things that contain IPA if that's what triggers the reaction. Instead of using hand sanitizers, wash your hand with soap and water. Put on a barrier cream on the areas that are prone to contact. (I'm guessing it's your fingers.) Wear gloves when working on clients. And again, cortisone cream and non-drowsy antihistamine for any itching.

I definitely wont be able to do my own acrylics anymore,
This has happened to me a few times but its never been this bad,
The burning is so bad that its put me off trying new products.
I always loved doing my own nails as id practice designs on myself to promote my skills.

This also happened to me when. First started beauty therapy, turns out it was the carex anti bac soap I was using

I've been using a barrier cream and nitrile gloves to prevent any further damage but when it comes to doing my own nails is there anything else I could use to remove the sticky layer?

I've been using a barrier cream and nitrile gloves to prevent any further damage but when it comes to doing my own nails is there anything else I could use to remove the sticky layer?

Dolled Up, if you have acrylic nails you could apply NSI Glaze N Go over the top of gel polish to eliminate the sticky layer.

If you are using gel enhancements or gel polish on your nails all I can suggest is that you are very careful when you wipe off the inhibition layer. Always use a fresh wipe per nail and try to wipe in one downward motion towards the free edge. The wipe will contain uncured product (this is what the inhibition layer is) if you go back over the nail with the same wipe you will be potentially wiping the product on your skin.
I always use this method of wiping to ensure the smallest change of reaction.

HTH

Last edited:
I usually avoid naming products on here unless my experience has been a positive one but seeing as this product has been mentioned on this thread I felt it necessary to add that I had an extreme reaction to CND Retention+ monomer which led me to source a product that worked for me.
The key is really working out what is good or bad for YOU. I now always do a test patch on my forearm prior to using or purchasing a new product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back