Am I being ripped off?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcconnell1989

Reaction score
Have decided to rent a room in a hair dressers, the room is going to be approx 10ft by 8ft and they are paying for the flooring, work tops, sink etc but i have to pay for all my stock, machines, bed...

i can work whenever i want. they don't have a receptionist but said they can answer my phone for me.

shes asking for £150 a week for first 2 months then £200! is this steep? she said she has massive overheads herself and that she'd have me fully booked all week with her clients aswell, but still?

appreciate any thoughts as i'm going to see her tomorrow night to discuss it.

sarah x

Flippin Heck - that is one of the most expensive I have heard of!

If you calculate that the rent is approx 20% of your takings (which I think is a good guideline) then you need to do treatments of £1000 per week!

I dont think room size is that big either. I would shop around a little first if I were you.

Have decided to rent a room in a hair dressers, the room is going to be approx 10ft by 8ft and they are paying for the flooring, work tops, sink etc but i have to pay for all my stock, machines, bed...

i can work whenever i want. they don't have a receptionist but said they can answer my phone for me.

shes asking for £150 a week for first 2 months then £200! is this steep? she said she has massive overheads herself and that she'd have me fully booked all week with her clients aswell, but still?

sarah x
I can't comment on the rental priceas I am not experienced in the area of space rental, however, she is promising to have you fully booked throughout the week. I assume she is advertizing for you?

I would not commit to anything unless you have it signin writing ie. a fully signed, lined and dotted written agreement. I think it should also include a get out clause if you don't achieve the bookings she promises.

If she does not agree to it in writing, then walk away. This is my advice.

no she is not going to advertise for me, she is just saying that she has loads of clients and they will all be interested.. she said 80% of her clients i'd get..

but obv im not stupid of course it's easy for her to say that isn't it..

no she is not going to advertise for me, she is just saying that she has loads of clients and they will all be interested.. she said 80% of her clients i'd get..

but obv im not stupid of course it's easy for her to say that isn't it..

Well if she is not advertizing then I think it is too expensive IMO. She may have loads of clients but who says they will flock at your door. There are no garantees. It looks to me like she is trying to get you to pay for her furnishing costs in setting up the room. JMO.

I think thats alot, its hard to say with all areas etc property/rental values being different. I pay less than half of that for my new place and it has two treatment rooms a reception area and a toilet. You are aswell obviously bright and appreciate that her customers arent guaranteed. I think you would put yourself under unnecessary pressure, I agree with the others, have a shop around, whats betting she's still trying to rent it in six months time ?? Best of luck xxx

Tell her you want to pay 75 per week for the first 3 months and then WHEN you are fully booked as promised you will have a rent review with 150 per week being the maximum you will go to.

Contracts work both ways .. you do not have to accept her terms ... you are allowed to ask for your own terms .. people forget this. this is your business ... tell her what YOU want.

Tell her you want to pay 75 per week for the first 3 months and then WHEN you are fully booked as promised you will have a rent review with 150 per week being the maximum you will go to.

Contracts work both ways .. you do not have to accept her terms ... you are allowed to ask for your own terms .. people forget this. this is your business ... tell her what YOU want.

Good advice. Earlier I was thinking that £200 per week is £800 per month. Geesh, you can rent a whole house for that price per month :eek:.

Good advice. Earlier I was thinking that £200 per week is £800 per month. Geesh, you can rent a whole house for that price per month :eek:.

I don't wish to come across as being pernickety (sp?) but £200 pw is actually £866.67 pm. Just adds to the shock value of how much the rent really is.

I think it's a lot of rent to pay & as already mentioned there's no guarantee that the clients will book in. You can lead a horse to water & all that...

Sounds like she is trying it on with you. £200 a week is a huge amount. Contracts do work both ways and it is reasonable for you to pay £75 a week for a few months, then when you are happy and she has you fully booked with her clients AND they are regular, then agree another amount but no way £200.00 a week! Good luck hun x

negotiate!
why not offer to do a % for the first 3 months?

thank you for all your comments everyone, she is definatley asking far too much. i need to stand up for myself tomorrow when i go and see her, i think she just thought she'd say this is how much it is and i'd just go along with it.

we'll see x

sarah x

IMHO yes.
Go mobile...find another place ...leave it.
If you are having problems from the start then it may get worse.
A lot of peeps say "oh you'll be fully booked" and tbh ....you won't x

definate no no that's way to high.

Totally agree with everyone else. I think if you pay this amount of rent you are definately being ripped off.

I would look elsewhere if it were me. If she has the potential to try and rip you off now, she will almost certainly try again at a later date by increasing the rent, if you go for a reduced rate.

I wouldn't rent from her .

Good luck .

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

I would say that is definately too much. I have just opened a beauty salon in Somerset two weeks ago and I pay £325pm inc of all services and i have two rooms of a similar size plus a reception area and a tiny office area, all within a small department store. i know I am lucky getting this, but you are being asked too much. I think a percentage rate would be a good idea if she won't come down in price. A lot of people around here pay between 30% and 40%.

Good luck with it all anyway

thanks again everybody for taking the time to answer. i had my meeting with the salon owner last night and we have agreed on £150 per week. i know some of you will prob still think thats too high but i am quite happy with that. she was quite understanding and aid that after she'd spoke to some people she realised that it was maybe a bit too much.

i know she does have loads of clients like her waiting list for an appointment is sometimes 3 weeks and she is the type of person who will go on about me non stop to her clients when i start.. still i know that isnt a guarantee but i'm staying hopeful, and i do already have around 30 of my own clients who are going to follow me so fingers crossed.

start date is looking at beginning of november, so i need to get cracking! arghhh..

xx

hi this article intrests me, i've been renting a room (within hair salon) with a small room leading off it, i have a pedicure room and then main salon with bed and tan cubicle. the rent includes use of receptionist, elec, water, client refreshments etc. i've been there 2 years and my rent is due for renewal in jan which im dreading as i think im paying enough now. initailly it started as £150 inc vat it was broken down as £90 room £20 reception wage £10 telephone £10 elec £10 water £10 client refreshments. then 6 months in to business i added on a nail bar within the hair salon my rent went up to £200 a week. i am at the moment managing to rent my nail bar out for £50 per week. do you think this is fair or averge i am in lancashire after reading others i feel ripped off

OMG!!! that is far too much!!! I can't believe it!!! I pay £62.50 a week in Hampshire, I've just realised how lucky I am!!! like said before you could have a mortgage on a lovely house for that!!! I seriously would look elsewhere, she doesn't sound like a trustworthy person you would want to rent from!xxx

me again mines now gone up to £225 per week and have to contribute towards rubbish collection on top of that. an advantage is we split all advertising 50/50

Latest posts

Back