Am I being unreasonable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisgxxx

Reaction score
So... I've recently opened a salon and have been searching for self employed staff for the last month. After numerous interviews & lots of people not even turning up I found someone!! So she was brill at her trade test, was happy with the way we worked things and seemed really keen! After I offered her the position I receive a text asking of she can have a couple of days off in dec for a family occasion she had planned. I was fair & explained that just this once I'd let her but this isn't usually the case in December as its a busy month. So she said thanks & said shed let me know the date (I'd also told her if it was Christmas week it'd be a no go). So today I get another text asking for the whole week off! The 2nd week of dec!!! What would you do? I've explained that the whole reason I was looking for someone else was to make sure we didn't turn anyone away at Christmas as I'm hoping this will gain us a good name and reputation in the area. I also was under the impression it was only for a couple of days not the whole week and I'd need her back for the end of the week. I've had no reply. What would you do? I think I might have to just find someone else as she clearly doesn't want to work & earn money. I get the impression she's from a well off family as she drives a love little Audi and hasn't been working since feb!!

In answer to your title question I would say yes...sorry if this is not what you want to hear however as a self employed person she can come and go whenever she pleases. If you are wanting someone to work the hours you want them to then you would need to look at employing someone. Hope this helps and good luck in your search. (I know how hard it is to find decent staff) :hug:

Last edited:
It's up to her when she has time off, as long as she pays her rent you can't say anything!

I agree with your other reply, yes it's a busy time but part of the beauty of being self employed is to within reason set your hours. Why don't you just agree that in future dates are set 8-12 weeks ahead so there is no more last minute holiday making.
Good luck

I'm sorry but if she is self employed she can take as much or as little time off as she wants, and she pays you your rent when she isn't there-so you won't be out of pocket-shouldn't make a difference to you.

If you employed her and was her boss-then you have every right to be annoyed with this situation. But unfortunatly she is self employed you have no say.xx

Agreed with the others. Why don't you employ someone? You can't have it both ways. ;)

Surely as a salon owner there has to be some ground rules? Otherwise what's to stop everyone having time off at the same time? She also only gets a percentage of what she does client wise so if she's off then she has nothing to pay. I thought this was a fair way to do things but it seems to have backfired in my face! Lol. I had a salon a few years ago (it closed as we moved away) and I always has my staff in this way and never had any trouble. Thank you for your replies. It's nice to have someone else's view.i just don't know where to go from here. Bearing in mind this girl has no clients to bring with her and I'm letting her build up from scratch within my salon x

Yip I agree with everyone ,you should really look into employing someone ,i wouldn't have even asked you ,i rented a chair for 6 years came and went as I pleased and had as much or as little time off as I wanted no problems as my clients were my own :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Unfortunately it is up to her when she wants to work but I know where you are coming from as when I was working in the salon the beauticians were like this and it really gave us a bad name because they were hardly ever working and clients were getting fed up doin can see it from your point also x

Having people employed isn't an option at the moment. My other stylist is completely happy with the way we do things and she comes and goes as she pleases but has an understanding that December is an "all hands on deck month" as we are trying to build this salon up from nothing xx

This is the problem with having someone in self employed, you cannot dictate hours or prices etc or they are not self employed.
The inland revenue have strict policies which say if you breach this you are liable to pay tax and national insurance for this person as they are classed as employed.
I would look at employing someone on an hourly rate so that you can be in control of hours etc.

Can anyone tell me how other salons work their staff when self employed? My accountant is happy with the way I do things and says its all correct regards rules & tax but how do u manage your self employed staff? Surely there has to be some guidelines to go by with regards to holidays & working hours? Otherwise people will be able to book off time at the same time and the salon could be left without staff at certain time?

I can only reiterate what the others are saying; if she's self-employed, then she's self-employed. That means that it's up to her as and when she works. I know December is a busy time, but it's really not up to you when she needs/wants time off.

If you want someone to whom you can dictate all your terms and conditions, then you need to look at employing someone in the future.

Self employed staff can pretty much come and go as they please. However you can have a contract drawn up that includes rent they should pay, stick they may use etc etc this should be updated every 3-6 months if anything changes. You can speak to acas for advice 08457 474747

Yes I understand that but I really don't have any rules for them only that December everyone should be fair & pull together. Please don't think I'm being a know it all or am not appreciating all your comments I'm just trying to think of a better way to handle self employed staff. All your suggestions would be very helpful. Bad as I say being employed isn't an option at the moment as we aren't even covering the bills at the moment let alone paying myself or another member of staff. The salon I've taken over has been closed for 6 months & had a very bad reputation beforehand so you can see what I'm up against x

Thanks jody I will give them a call Monday & see if they have any suggestions x

In our salon you pay a set rent each week-if your there or not. Then choose your own hours, take your own appointments and are responsible for your own clients bookings, products etc.

The management have no say if you want to be off/start late/wear a uniform its all upto you, as long as they get their rent they are happy.

They do have employed staff who can't take time off in Dec, and who can't be off at the same time, and are expected to do more hours when other employed staff are on holiday/sick.

It does sound like you would be better of either charging her rent per day/week (so you are earning from her even when she is off) or employing somebody.

All the best with your new salon :) xx

Last edited:
What would you say is a reasonable rent for someone to pay? And what would happen if they had been really quiet one week and couldn't afford to pay? Also I provide everything all they have to do is turn up to work with their scissors, hairdryer & brushes. We keep a note of how many tubes of colour they use a week and I write a receipt for what they have used stock wise.

Also if I was to rent a chair & make them buy their own stock how would you handle any arguments between staff about who's used who's colour & what happenes if thy forget something and can't complete a colour as they have ran out?

If they are quiet then its usually tough luck for the self employed person, you still get your rent :) remember the weeks they were busy and earning more than enough to pay your rent (you wouldn't get any more rent from them)

Obviously if they were stuck they would have no choice but to share then replace products used.

Or you keep as you are stock wise.

If you are worried about them being quiet as you are starting out, then agree a set rent for the 1st 2-3 months to give them time to gain clients and after that time frame the rent is x amount per week.

Rent usually goes off area/prices charged. Again-they can choose their own pricelist when self employed, but you could come to a mutual agreement on that. Also marketing herself is upto her, or you agree to all share the costs equally.

Xx

Latest posts

Back