Am I being unreasonable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it may be an idea to get this young lady into the salon for a chat and explain to her the salon's work ethic and that you are trying to build the business up for all of you to benefit in the long run, etc? I would give her a letter along the lines of Lady Murasaki's, but also add in about a trial period of x months.
This will cover you as it may turn out that you and her may not 'gel' together as a team, which even if she IS self employed, sets her own hours etc, could be an uncomfortable situation for both of you..
It may well turn out that she doesn't want to work the hours that you would prefer her to, maybe she doesn't have the 'drive' that people with major bills to pay have!
Either way it needs sorting out one way or the other, but it may be too late to start another therapist before Xmas unless you have a 'second best' candidate! :wink2: Good Luck xx

I rent a room in a salon and I pay the same every week. It's my business based in a salon.
I'm actually surprised she asked you for the time off because she didn't have to. I think it's been looked at the wrong way. It's nice of this girl to ask.

I rent a room in a salon and I pay the same every week. It's my business based in a salon.
I'm actually surprised she asked you for the time off because she didn't have to. I think it's been looked at the wrong way. It's nice of this girl to ask.

Agreed :)

Again what you are all saying isn't true.. I don't have the bonus' that come with employing people & I don't tell them what they can do. I just think its taking the p a bit by having a week off in December when she's not even started yet & I'm giving her the perfect opportunity to build up her clients!! Surely u can all see that!! All I've said us I'd rather she only took a couple if days off, if she doesn't want to put the work in during the most busy time then ill find someone who does x

You clearly want an employee. Get an employee

I get what you mean, she should wanna build up her clients and dec is a good time to but it's not unfair of her to have time off as she is self employed. If this another time of the year, say may, would you be as put out that she wanted time off in June? Sorry, I know it's frustrating as you want someone to cover a busy time but I'm self employed so see her side too. I'm taking some time off in dec to help at my sisters school, one of the perks of being self employed. If you want someone to cover a specific period you might have to employ someone or explain that to the next person to come along. Hope you sort something out :)

when i first read this post, my immediate thought was to think the same as the majority of posters in that it is completely unecessary for your renter to ask you time off. she is renting the room for you and can come and go as she pleases but however gave you the courtesy of asking you and problaby didnt think for one minute you would say no, as after all you dont really have a right to say no. however after about the 45 minutes of me reading through all the pages, i understand that you can see that she can come and go as she pleases and is self employed. I think the main point of this is that this girl just doesnt share your vision, drive or determination to take your new business forward. You want someone with a bit of oomph and passion for what they do. someone who wants to build up their clientelle. So on that basis, I would just make sure that both your visions match. I would try and get to speak to her face to face and ask her what her vision is. how does she see herself in 6 months time? does she see herself with a full client book? does she have any ideas of special offers she may like to do for christmas, proms, january slump. Is there any equipment that she feels she needs to buy for her room etc.

I ask this because I work part time as a medical secretary. I have my own home salon I offer appointments from Monday to thursday and i also haev a mobile spray tanning business AND i have just went into a hairdressing salon 3 weeks ago as beauty therapist and offer appointments on Friday and Saturday. Already I am thinking of offers for christmas, I have made up cards offering 20% off in January to give to all my clients now, I am telling everyone who will listen about all my products. when i am not busy I am helping out in the salon, sweeping floors, offering tea and coffee for the clients and washing hair (which is the best opportunity for me to tout my business lol).

so yes this girl might do a stunning set of nails, but if she hasnt got the passion that she wants build up her cllientelle the way you obviosuly want and share the drive and passion, then maybe it would be best for you to part ways. After your chat, maybe suggest a 4 week settling in period and see if it is going to be suitable for BOTH of you. But dont just make assumptions that she hasnt got the drive and determination just coz she asked for a week off in December, like some posters have already said, sometimes these things just happen, she may have had this booked for months or might stand to lose a lot of money etc. best of luck whatever you decide

Well I have to say that after reading the whole thread, I think you have been treated unfairly and some people have been just downright rude. I'm glad to see that a couple of them have apologised.
Nobody is going to put as much effort into your salon as you are I'm afraid.
Even if you take on self-employed then you should still have a contract in place.
Even though they are self-employed, it is your salon and there are certain things that you would expect from them and these should be put in the contract. I will put a link at the bottom of this post to a sample copy of a contract from the NHF. I think you will find 3.9.2 rather interesting!
I used to have self-employed stylists. The upside to this is that you don't have to pay tax and national insurance or sickpay. You also don't have the hassle of staff!
Self-employed do sometimes tend to work harder as the more they work, the more they earn. So if you take them on with a percentage deal then you will earn more too.
I do employ now though as I like to have more control. What I do is pay a set hourly rate and on top of this they also get a percentage of what they have taken.
You could also do the percentages in increments.
For example, you could pay them minimum wage. Then if they take say up to 2k a month, you pay 5% of their takings on top of this, so an extra £100 a month. Then if they take between 3k and 4k then they get an extra 10%.
This way they still want to work harder so that they earn more.
I've found it better to do it this way.
Hope this has helped a bit and good luck.

http://www.nhf.info/Documents/Chair Freeholder.pdf

Well I have to say that after reading the whole thread, I think you have been treated unfairly and some people have been just downright rude. I'm glad to see that a couple of them have apologised.
Nobody is going to put as much effort into your salon as you are I'm afraid.
Even if you take on self-employed then you should still have a contract in place.
Even though they are self-employed, it is your salon and there are certain things that you would expect from them and these should be put in the contract. I will put a link at the bottom of this post to a sample copy of a contract from the NHF. I think you will find 3.9.2 rather interesting!
I used to have self-employed stylists. The upside to this is that you don't have to pay tax and national insurance or sickpay. You also don't have the hassle of staff!
Self-employed do sometimes tend to work harder as the more they work, the more they earn. So if you take them on with a percentage deal then you will earn more too.
I do employ now though as I like to have more control. What I do is pay a set hourly rate and on top of this they also get a percentage of what they have taken.
You could also do the percentages in increments.
For example, you could pay them minimum wage. Then if they take say up to 2k a month, you pay 5% of their takings on top of this, so an extra £100 a month. Then if they take between 3k and 4k then they get an extra 10%.
This way they still want to work harder so that they earn more.
I've found it better to do it this way.
Hope this has helped a bit and good luck.

http://www.nhf.info/Documents/Chair Freeholder.pdf

Thank you very much. I've had a good look through that sample contract so I'm definitely going to order some of those from nhf. Although they are £50 I think it'll be £50 well spent as it will iron out any misunderstandings. As for this girl, I've still not heard from her so I'm guessing she won't turn up for her first day at work on Wednesday. I've decided I'm going to just play it by ear, if I have to work more, I have too. Although I don't want to leave my little boy as much it'll only be for a couple of weeks then in January I can have a re think x thank you everyone for being so helpful and thank you to those who have apologised. Reading what someone else has put in text can sometimes come across worse than its actually ment although a lot of you made assumptions its probably my fault for how I worded my original post. Anyway, thank u again x

Latest posts

Back