Am I doing the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
I went full time self employed at the beginning of December above a hair salon in a quiet town. This town is in between the big towns.

Iv had a lot of grief of the owner and manager since being here. They have constantly been sticking there nose in and saying my prices where to high ( they charge £8.50 for a dry cut, I charge £10 for a file and polish and £7 for an eyebrow wax... Reasonable for my area due to me doing extensive research)
Telling me how I should be painting nails, when I should work etc etc.
Id like to just point out that I am self employed and I pay a flat rate of £50 per week for 3 rooms and a bathroom.

I had an offer the other day to rent a beauty room from an off licence/sunbed shop, a very successful sunbed shop. Iv been speaking to my in laws and friends about it and I was originally going to stay above the hairdressers tues/thurs/fri/sat and go to the sunbed shop mon/wed now I'm thinking of slowly moving over to the sunbed shop. I'm sick to death of the owner here, she's constantly saying clients have complained which they can't have done as they all return. I just don't think she likes me. I'm scared my reputation is going to be diminished because of this stupid woman.

What would you do?
I feel so lost!

I had a similar problem when I set up in a hair salon I was paying £25 per day and they would stick their noses in all the time and also use my room when I wasn't there!
I have now moved to my own salon and it's the best thing I have done I'm much happier and gaining more clients, I would personally do it if it's going to make your business grow x

I went full time self employed at the beginning of December above a hair salon in a quiet town. This town is in between the big towns.

Iv had a lot of grief of the owner and manager since being here. They have constantly been sticking there nose in and saying my prices where to high ( they charge £8.50 for a dry cut, I charge £10 for a file and polish and £7 for an eyebrow wax... Reasonable for my area due to me doing extensive research)
Telling me how I should be painting nails, when I should work etc etc.
Id like to just point out that I am self employed and I pay a flat rate of £50 per week for 3 rooms and a bathroom.

I had an offer the other day to rent a beauty room from an off licence/sunbed shop, a very successful sunbed shop. Iv been speaking to my in laws and friends about it and I was originally going to stay above the hairdressers tues/thurs/fri/sat and go to the sunbed shop mon/wed now I'm thinking of slowly moving over to the sunbed shop. I'm sick to death of the owner here, she's constantly saying clients have complained which they can't have done as they all return. I just don't think she likes me. I'm scared my reputation is going to be diminished because of this stupid woman.

What would you do?
I feel so lost!

So what are the downsides to the sun bed shop?

Iv just had a meeting with the sun bed shop owner.

The only down side is the room I would be renting is the fire escape room for upstairs so the room can't be locked my stuff would have to be put in a lockable cupboard at night. My partner has said it's just like being mobile.

The rates are good, I'm going to trial it and see how I go. I'd rather have one room and be fully booked than 3 rooms and not fully booked.

Is anybody else above a hairdressers that is self employed?

I find it very very difficult where I am. I find the owner very snotty, the manage is nice but up the owners backside and the apprentice is a cocky sh*t when the owner is in.
I really hate it here, I find myself hiding up stairs when the owner is in as I just can't face any more belittling.
She's always bitching about me and I can hear her from upstairs, it's really disheartening.
I also think she's putting clients off coming upstairs to me.
I keep my cool and try and stand my ground but she just doesn't listen!!
Xx

If its making you so unhappy, leave. You are self employed no one is forcing you to stay. You have the chance to start afresh somewhere, go for it!

Life is too short to be unhappy. Xx

I agree with with steph don't be unhappy. Do what makes you happy. Although the sunbed shop room can't be locked there are way more downsides to the other place including how you feel when you're there. I can't believe you get 3 rooms and a bathroom for that rate, that's very good but then if it's only you there you can't make the best use of all those rooms. At least the clients at the sunbed shop can pop straight up to you for nails and other treatments all in one place! They can work together well whereas at the moment it doesn't sound like the hair salon want to say a good word about you! Good luck x

Thank you ladies 😊
Feel better, I just feel like I need reassurance with it.
I know the rates I have at the salon is ridiculously cheap... I am lucky in that retrospect but if I'm not fully booked there just wasted.
I'm going to slowly work my way over to the sunbed shop.

How much notice should I give the owner now when I'm fully going to move over. Iv no contract so technically I don't need to leave one but as much as she's been a cow I don't want a bad word against me at least I can say I left on good terms. Xxx

Id give as much notice as possible, what would you expect from her? Maybe 4 weeks?

Hard when you don't have a contract in place, but to leave with good will on both sides is always a bonus.

Xx

I agree with Steph
. Life is too short to be unhappy. Being self employed should make u feel u have freedom. I dont understand y they let the place if they are going to be like that towards u. U should be an asset to them. Good luck in your next venture. The sunbed shop sounds better and as for not locking the room, its a snag but if u can secure your equipment at the end of each day in another way then go for it. Leave with 4 weeks notice, i believe thats standard in the rental world (it is with home rental at least) u know u have been reasonable and done everything properly so u can move forward on a positive note. All the best.
Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I feel like she just wants me out...

I was thinking 4 but I don't know if it's to much with having no leasing contract and the way she's treated me is awful!

She's even sent two clients to another beautician. She says people complain about me all the time... The funny thing is though my clients are all returning. So if anybody could work that one out haha?
I was thinking of doing a client survey to get feedback from them all.

I'm so excited to start in the new shop :) and it's great because it was my corner shop when I was little so they all know me! They are letting me out a sink and plug sockets where I want and they have been introducing me. Can't wait for a fresh start and to actually feel my own boss again and that I have my own business that Iv dreamed off.
Thank you ladies for letting me ramble on xxx

In your situation I would feel so uncomfortable at this place. I know you want to leave on good terms but just remember you're self employed you do what YOU want! Don't worry about if she likes it or not she doesn't feel like that when she's slagging you off!
If it was me id give 2 weeks. If she doesn't want you up there she should be glad your going. Then she'll realise that she's sh*t out cos she won't have your rent anymore. Why is she sending clients to other beauticians-surely you being there reflects on her business & if she's telling people to go elsewhere that doesn't look good on her that she's not even supporting you. Bloody hell she sounds like a joke!
Good luck at the sunbed shop & enjoy it, and be glad of you're lucky escape!!x

In your situation I would feel so uncomfortable at this place. I know you want to leave on good terms but just remember you're self employed you do what YOU want! Don't worry about if she likes it or not she doesn't feel like that when she's slagging you off!
If it was me id give 2 weeks. If she doesn't want you up there she should be glad your going. Then she'll realise that she's sh*t out cos she won't have your rent anymore. Why is she sending clients to other beauticians-surely you being there reflects on her business & if she's telling people to go elsewhere that doesn't look good on her that she's not even supporting you. Bloody hell she sounds like a joke!
Good luck at the sunbed shop & enjoy it, and be glad of you're lucky escape!!x

Well I looks at one if the clients nails sneakily that's supposedly sent to somebody else and she hasn't had her nails done :s I think it could just be talk.

It's like working with somebody who has bi polar as she's just been stood talking nicely nice to me for 45 mins.

It's so hard to judge when she "likes" you.
I will be glad when I'm out! I won't be looking back at all.
It was a starting point and it served it's purpose for a few months but that's it.

I might give her two yeah :)
I just want to be able to say that I did it on good terms. Even if she tells everybody different I can say I was he better person xxx

Just read your other thread about the pedicure! The sooner you leave the better! When are you gonna tell her?? Let us know how you get on! x

Just read your other thread about the pedicure! The sooner you leave the better! When are you gonna tell her?? Let us know how you get on! x

Well I went into the sunbed shop the other day and talked with the owner some more.

Iv already told her Il be in the sunbed shop on a mon/wed on my days off (only my days off as nobody ever books in) when I told her she said I could do what I want and she doesn't need my money.
Nice one!
So I'm going to gradually move over so I don't shoot myself in the foot. As soon as mon/tues/wed is busy at the sunbed shop il hand my notice in. Dependant in her being a bitch I might just say 1week, if she's being okay 2 weeks.

She liked me in Saturday. Was the flavour of the day again. GET A GRIP!!

What makes me laugh is the clients that I get upstairs, slag downstairs off like you wouldn't believe!!

Thank you for your reply again :)) xxxx

Well it all sounds good but why are you moving over gradually so you don't " shoot yourself in the foot" you already know you are better off at the sunbed shop. Just tell all your clients you'll be based somewhere else and they can have their appointments at your new place! Why wait? Plus what if your current owner hears you're moving over and does something to put new clients off from the other shop?x

Well it all sounds good but why are you moving over gradually so you don't " shoot yourself in the foot" you already know you are better off at the sunbed shop. Just tell all your clients you'll be based somewhere else and they can have their appointments at your new place! Why wait? Plus what if your current owner hears you're moving over and does something to put new clients off from the other shop?x

Where I am now know I'm renting this other shop on a Monday and Wednesday.
I don't want to just close down here and move over purely because where I am now the majority of clientele is much older and therefore won't follow me. Iv spoken to clients who are in the area that I'm moving too and they will just stay going there.
I want to make sure I'm getting the clients over in the new place before I jack over here.
Just trying to be sensible.

I don't know whether to lower my prices in the sunbed shop.

They are still great with my area research and I'm not sure of I want to lower them as Iv been used to them since December and people pay my prices now and think they are fair.

If you think your prices are fair for your area I wouldn't lower your prices it's hard when you need to put them back up & it gives people the wrong impression maybe you could do an introductory offer for a limited time instead on flyers to let everyone know where you are or give a special discount to your clients who are following you from the hair salon to make them feel valued & special

Latest posts

Back