Annoyed over so called mobile hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, i totally agree with Chaz!

Forget this girl, what she does is her business. Just focus on your own goals and plans.

I personally think this girl sounds like a real go getter! Good for her.

Ok well i think i will start a salon up in my kitchen then and charge full price if thats what people think is a go getter,
Its not the point of her having clients i am not bothered i have clients for experiance point is i have not stated or misslead any body and i am not making a profit out of it illeagaly but sorry if i caused offense against anybody its just my opinion x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just looked on hmrc and under first steps to self employment it states you have to let us know as soon as you start work when going self employed as you may occur a penalty charge
Regardless i know she has no intention of registering as self employed just annoys me not because of jelousy etc but just because this effects every one why cant people just be truthful and do things leagaly whats wrong with that

as soon as possible so therefore not straight away. When you do have a business you will relise the tax man thretens fines quite often but hardly anyone gets them. The fine is £100 she prop wont get it and if she registers within 3 months she definetly wont get a fine.

benifts do change things perhaps iv never been no them so i dont know. But with some benifits your allowed to work a bit and if shes only charging product cost for training then she wont be making any profit. So no point lossing benifit how will she have money. If you are on benifits im sure you wont want to loose then untill you are making at least a little profit. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

To op Lea.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and in regards to claiming benefits and working i totally agree with you.She will eventually get caught out if shes claiming illegally.
I know of many people who do this and it really frustrates me.I work more than full time hours and have 3 kids at home that id love to spend more time with but i cant afford to and i like to think that by paying into the tax system legally and above board im doing my bit.

Some people have no shame whatsoever but they will never change.

Concentrate on working hard to build a loyal clientelle and you will reap the rewards eventually but at least you know youve done it yourself,all above board and brought your children up yourself instead of relying on the state.

Good on you for getting yourself out there and trained in a skill that will take you far.
x

as soon as possible so therefore not straight away. When you do have a business you will relise the tax man thretens fines quite often but hardly anyone gets them. The fine is £100 she prop wont get it and if she registers within 3 months she definetly wont get a fine.

benifts do change things perhaps iv never been no them so i dont know. But with some benifits your allowed to work a bit and if shes only charging product cost for training then she wont be making any profit. So no point lossing benifit how will she have money. If you are on benifits im sure you wont want to loose then untill you are making at least a little profit. X

Im not saying all that is wrong what i am saying and what my original post is about is i know this person very well its not just somebody i came across on fb, so i know she will not claim anything at any point as self employed and she is charging full prices that is what has annoyed me thats all becausw then there is people who do want to do it the right way with hard graft, and just for the record this certain person has never stepped in a salon and refuses because she cant be bothered.
But like i said i know and i know people do this all the time in hairdressing but does not make it right unless they follow what you have said x

Yes you have 3 months to register. It's up to you if you if you want to do it before. You have to tell them when you actually started trading and like chazz said they back track it. I took my 3 months so I know it's ok to do!!
I haven't registered my business name and wasn't told I had to when I registered my business.
I don't see anything wrong in this girl advertising herself and gaining experience, as long as she is making people aware that she is newly qualified and not charging full price. Every time I have learnt something new I have got on with it, asking for a small fee for products and charging more as soon as I feel comfortable.
Regardless of what this girl is doing, concentrate on your own business and I wish you the best of luck x

Iv never worked in hair salon coz i cant be botheted to start on a trainers wadge. And as i only want a couple of clients a week. If she doesnt want to work in a salon thats her business. And if shes not very good then she wont get many clients. X

To op Lea.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and in regards to claiming benefits and working i totally agree with you.She will eventually get caught out if shes claiming illegally.
I know of many people who do this and it really frustrates me.I work more than full time hours and have 3 kids at home that id love to spend more time with but i cant afford to and i like to think that by paying into the tax system legally and above board im doing my bit.

Some people have no shame whatsoever but they will never change.

Concentrate on working hard to build a loyal clientelle and you will reap the rewards eventually but at least you know youve done it yourself,all above board and brought your children up yourself instead of relying on the state.

Good on you for getting yourself out there and trained in a skill that will take you far.
x

I know i will , its not just hairdressing really you see it quite a lot in all walks of trade decorating building etc they will work claim benefits not tell the tax man honestly its so common especially where i live loads of people do it and its just frustrating because i am single mum yes i struggle but id always stick by the books and sometimes it can be dishearting and you can feel sometimes like shall i just give in and follow there way.. I wont though lol i will carry on id rather be able to say to my children at least i did everything above board even if it was a struggle and if i do make it then the feeling will be amazing and nothing would beat that thats my point why would i want to rush to make some offside buisness when i could work hard get experiance put my all in to it and then finally own my own buisness and reap the rewards just thought is fantastic.. Oh well untill that day i will keep trying haha,
Just to state once again im not saying all people who dont register straight away are cowboys,
Just the one i have mentioned and just the odd few who are xx

Why are you getting so annoyed? ;)

Spend your time and energy on your own career and forget about what this girl is doing, its not affecting you in any way is it?

Within any type of business you will always get those who aim for the top of their career ladder and those who are happy to linger at the bottom. Likewise, you will always find clients willing to pay good money for quality professional treatments and those who are not.

And who's to say there aren't many excellent hairdressers and salon owners out there who also started their careers by working mobile :cool:

You may know this girl personally but don't get side tracked by her and her way of working. Whether she is doing it legally or not, is not your business quite frankly. If however you are truly concerned regarding benefits then you can call them and report her! As for registering as self employed and having a business name the OP's have quite correctly pointed out to you that she is in fact doing nothing wrong at all and is perfectly within the law.

Yes you have 3 months to register. It's up to you if you if you want to do it before. You have to tell them when you actually started trading and like chazz said they back track it. I took my 3 months so I know it's ok to do!!
I haven't registered my business name and wasn't told I had to when I registered my business.
I don't see anything wrong in this girl advertising herself and gaining experience, as long as she is making people aware that she is newly qualified and not charging full price. Every time I have learnt something new I have got on with it, asking for a small fee for products and charging more as soon as I feel comfortable.
Regardless of what this girl is doing, concentrate on your own business and I wish you the best of luck x

As i have stated i know the girl and i kniw her intentions i am not randomnly spotting people on my fb and making assumptions x

So can you get hairdressing insurances without actually having a registered buisness i asked this other day but got told that you cant, as i wanted for my guinea pigs just incase the unexpected happens ;-)

So can you get hairdressing insurances without actually having a registered buisness i asked this other day but got told that you cant, as i wanted for my guinea pigs just incase the unexpected happens ;-)

If its anything like beauty and nails then you can get insurance once you are qualified and are insured to provide those treatments in which you have gained a qualification.

It is normally possible, depending on the insurance company, to get student insurance too.

Charging to cover costs only is perfectly acceptable, however if she is qualified she is entitled to charge whatever she likes as long as her clients are willing to pay :)

Yes you can get insurence evan if you havent registared as self employed. Infact you are breaking the law if you dont have it. And you can evan get student insurence. But that wont aply to ypu if you have finnished your course. In the eyes of the insurence you are a qualified hairdresser. They dont care about experience. Its a low risk trade thats why insurance is so cheep.

If its anything like beauty and nails then you can get insurance once you are qualified and are insured to provide those treatments in which you have gained a qualification.

It is normally possible, depending on the insurance company, to get student insurance too.

Charging to cover costs only is perfectly acceptable, however if she is qualified she is entitled to charge whatever she likes as long as her clients are willing to pay :)

Hmm ok so if i ring them they could sort something for me where im insured but not self employed?
But there must come a point where it is illegal i know if i start charging more than product cost i would also be comminting benefit fraud so its not as simple as that of course id like to charge people more but would not want to be doing it illegal or commiting some sort of fraud just for my own piece of mind x

Hmm ok so if i ring them they could sort something for me where im insured but not self employed?
But there must come a point where it is illegal i know if i start charging more than product cost i would also be comminting benefit fraud so its not as simple as that of course id like to charge people more but would not want to be doing it illegal or commiting some sort of fraud just for my own piece of mind x

Depending what benefits you are on will depend on who you need to speak to. It will be either HMRC for Tax Credits or Job Centre Plus for other benefits.

But that is a completely separate issue to insurance and registering a business.

It would probably be a good idea to look at Business support, information and advice | Business Link
Its an excellent site which will give you current legal requirements for starting up and running a business. But remember all of that is separate to benefits.

And also you need your certificate dont you we dont receive it till august, thats why at the moment i have only being doing my friends and familys as i know if anything did go wrong they would not be taking me to court lol x

Just because you have insurence for something dosent mean you are earnin money from it. If your really that worried let clients buy the colour from give them the recipt for it from capital or where ever you go for it. keep it with you to use again only on them. Then you have made no money. Not many people make a profit in the first few months and your allowed to make 6 grand before you are taxed to you prob wont pay tax the first year anyways evan if you charge full rate. You can get working tax credits and child benifit still when self employed. X

Depending what benefits you are on will depend on who you need to speak to. It will be either HMRC for Tax Credits or Job Centre Plus for other benefits.

But that is a completely separate issue to insurance and registering a business.

It would probably be a good idea to look at Business support, information and advice | Business Link
Its an excellent site which will give you current legal requirements for starting up and running a business. But remember all of that is separate to benefits.

Ok thankyou but looking for more salon experiance till im ready to go mobile i think but good for future refrence x

And also you need your certificate dont you we dont receive it till august, thats why at the moment i have only being doing my friends and familys as i know if anything did go wrong they would not be taking me to court lol x

Again it will depend on the insurance company. When I first qualified in beauty I got insurance through I think it was Salon Gold prior to actually receiving my certificates. Not all companies want to see proof which is rather odd!!

You dont need your certicate. They prob wont ask to see it you will only need to send it in if soneone makes a claim. Wich is unlikely and they can ring the awarding body if they have to. I dont have mine yet and im fully insured with salon serve tell them on the phone that you will be reciving it soon. if you have done a vrq make sure you mention this as some companys like salon gold dont cover the qualifcation. You dont have to ring anyone but an insurence company untill you start charging more than cost.

Just because you have insurence for something dosent mean you are earnin money from it. If your really that worried let clients buy the colour from give them the recipt for it from capital or where ever you go for it. keep it with you to use again only on them. Then you have made no money. Not many people make a profit in the first few months and your allowed to make 6 grand before you are taxed to you prob wont pay tax the first year anyways evan if you charge full rate. You can get working tax credits and child benifit still when self employed. X

I know that and that is what i have been doing as at the moment we dont have certificuts we dont receive them till august so i have only been doing friends and family and i only charge for colour costs and i know you can still claim benefits while self employed but you have to let them kniw straight away of any changes and im sure its 7grand before you pay tax maybe more now as it went up but any way as i say i will not being going self employed not yet i think my post got a bit confused its more to do with tge benefit fraud rather than the buisness side of things as i can see what you are saying makes sense if you were a single adult but when you have children its a whole lot more confusing because even if you did not declare to hmrc straight away yes you would not get in trouble but if you did the same with tax credits or jsa e.g you would be expected to pay all the money back regardless of if were able to claim the same amount of money but in diffrent circumstances x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back