Annoyed over so called mobile hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again it will depend on the insurance company. When I first qualified in beauty I got insurance through I think it was Salon Gold prior to actually receiving my certificates. Not all companies want to see proof which is rather odd!!

if you cant produce proof if a claim is made your insurence will be invalid thats why they dont bother asking as your not covered if you cant give the the certificates when asked to.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

You dont need your certicate. They prob wont ask to see it you will only need to send it in if soneone makes a claim. Wich is unlikely and they can ring the awarding body if they have to. I dont have mine yet and im fully insured with salon serve tell them on the phone that you will be reciving it soon. if you have done a vrq make sure you mention this as some companys like salon gold dont cover the qualifcation. You dont have to ring anyone but an insurence company untill you start charging more than cost.

Ok thats great thanks oh well glad i posted this now its cleared a few things up :) x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

But you are not doing anthing wrong just by having insurence. You are breaking the law by doing friends amd family without insurence. The insurence company dont care if you charge or not.
and the 6 grand was a rough idea im not the tax man and everyone has a differnt tax allowence. X

But you are not doing anthing wrong just by having insurence. You are breaking the law by doing friends amd family without insurence. The insurence company dont care if you charge or not.
and the 6 grand was a rough idea im not the tax man and everyone has a differnt tax allowence. X

Im not saying i am lol, and how could that be illegal if i do friends or familys i mean i ise to cut my sisters hair when i was 13 i did not have a qualification or insurance lol she let me, see its just so confusing x

Correct me if i am wrong but it is not infact illegal to work as a hairdresser with no qualifications and its not actually illegal not to have insurance just going through some notes i had from my course as was worrying then ha so i think its adviced and quite clearly a smart move to have insurance but i dont need to worry about my close friends and family i know they wont make a claim but i will get insurance anyway now i know you can get it x

No you can work as a hairdresser with out any qualifications, legally their are no regulations. But is illegal to work without insurance and hard to get that without a qualification but mot impossible, Same with beauty it's a very unregulated industry as it thought of as low risk.

Last edited:
Im not saying i am lol, and how could that be illegal if i do friends or familys i mean i ise to cut my sisters hair when i was 13 i did not have a qualification or insurance lol she let me, see its just so confusing x

If you want to do everything 100% above board which is what you have been saying this whole thread then you need insurance to do anyones hair. I doubt your family would tell on you so it's really a moot point. And just because someone let you do something it's quite different from it being legal to do so Your taking things a bit far.

If someone did try to claim you a liable to all and any costs without insurance.

If you want to do everything 100% above board which is what you have been saying this whole thread then you need insurance to do anyones hair. I doubt your family would tell on you so it's really a moot point. And just because someone let you do something it's quite different from it being legal to do so Your taking things a bit far.

If someone did try to claim you a liable to all and any costs without insurance.

As i said i will get insurance :)
And i did not mean this post to generalise people and i also did not mean it personally to any one its,
Its cleared a few things up and every one has diffrent opinions x

I think the op is thinking that gaining experience as in working in a salon environment around other hairdressers to gain knowledge.
Did not see this comment last night yes i think that is what i was trying to say i know personally i wouldnt want any one who had just done 2 days a week at college no salon experiance or work to be doing my hair unless it was a very good price and stated that they are training so im going to stick to what i think is right :) this is also what we have been told at college
I just think in college you dont learn everything and very easy to get bad habits as they are not always watching you the best tips i get are from salons and i think it would so better to say when you go mobile i worked at this place for so many years x

No you can work as a hairdresser with out any qualifications, legally their are no regulations. But is illegal to work without insurance and hard to get that without a qualification but mot impossible, Same with beauty it's a very unregulated industry as it thought of as low risk.

Hi have all qualification and insurance etc,but I also thought that at the moment there was no law requiring ether where can we find this out which gov site ,always tell me customers im qualified and insured and they r shocked that there a lots of people that r not because they r doing things with no qualifications so no insurance :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Hi have all qualification and insurance etc,but I also thought that at the moment there was no law requiring ether where can we find this out which gov site ,always tell me customers im qualified and insured and they r shocked that there a lots of people that r not because they r doing things with no qualifications so no insurance :-D

I tried looking up this info last night, couldn't find much you deffonetly don't need qualifications by law to do hairdressing. I'm not 100% sure on the insurance issue, but I think this is required by law. X

Did not see this comment last night yes i think that is what i was trying to say i know personally i wouldnt want any one who had just done 2 days a week at college no salon experiance or work to be doing my hair unless it was a very good price and stated that they are training so im going to stick to what i think is right :) this is also what we have been told at college
I just think in college you dont learn everything and very easy to get bad habits as they are not always watching you the best tips i get are from salons and i think it would so better to say when you go mobile i worked at this place for so many years x

Hiya, I think it's really good that you want to get more experience before you start doing the general public. But not everyone has that view, some people like myself feel confident that we can work on the paying public, I don't tell people I'm only just qualified I don't see the point, you can be qualified for years and still be rubbish I use my brain and only do things I'm confident to do. I'm fully insured and qualified and declaring all money made I'm braking no laws

The girl on Facebook may not be declaring anything as yet and we you can't really say for sure that she won't, she might just be testing the waters a bit before leaping into full self-employment, but the fact of the matter is there is nothing illegal about working as a hairdresser newly qualified she doesn't Evan have to tell people shes new.

Unfortunately this industry isn't regulated so that's why its full of cowboys. Its not illegal to work as a hairdresser without a qualification or insurance but when someone wants to make a claim (which the way things are at the minute more and more people are trying to) the 'hairdresser' hasn't got a leg to stand on.

College teaches you the basics with hair. So by becoming mobile straight from college you can only offer basic styles/colours. What if you get someone who wants a colour correction or an asymmetric cut? Do you turn them away?

Friends and family are crucial when you're training and recently qualified as doing 2 or 3 cuts might make you a hairdresser on paper. But it doesn't help when you've got that fussy client in front of you.

Lea reading your posts you freely admit that you're not over impressed with what you've been taught and you want to know/understand more. You're going to be a good hairdresser as you don't want to just know what to do but why you should do it that way.

I tried looking up this info last night, couldn't find much you deffonetly don't need qualifications by law to do hairdressing. I'm not 100% sure on the insurance issue, but I think this is required by law. X

Thanks as I thought ,hate how the law in this country is ilke a secret people should be able to get this info freely :-D

I don't think you do have to be qualified to be a hairdresser or beauty therapist but if someone chooses to not get qualified then I doubt they will find work when they apply for jobs. I can't imagine an employer taking on an unqualified hairdresser or therapist.
I think any profession that involves the public needs public liability insurance. People must be crazy not to spend £50 a year to keep themselves protected against claims etc.
I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing, Maybe she feels confident enough to just get out there and start practising, she is actually qualified and maybe she will get insurance or she may already have insurance.
If she put in the time and effort to go to college and train and qualify then she must want to be a hairdresser.
I don't think its fair to knock her for getting out there and start being a hairdresser, it would of been more of a waste of the governments money if she had of trained and then not bothered to carry on with her hairdressing.
We don't know for certain that she hasn't registered self employed or that she has or hasn't got insurance.
Everyone has to start somewhere, salon placements are so hard to find so maybe she had no option but to try being mobile.

I've not read this whole thread but just had to correct some misleading information. You no longer have 3 months to register, you must register as soon as you being actively promoting and advertising your business, so even before you take a penny x

Unfortunately this industry isn't regulated so that's why its full of cowboys. Its not illegal to work as a hairdresser without a qualification or insurance but when someone wants to make a claim (which the way things are at the minute more and more people are trying to) the 'hairdresser' hasn't got a leg to stand on.

College teaches you the basics with hair. So by becoming mobile straight from college you can only offer basic styles/colours. What if you get someone who wants a colour correction or an asymmetric cut? Do you turn them away?

Friends and family are crucial when you're training and recently qualified as doing 2 or 3 cuts might make you a hairdresser on paper. But it doesn't help when you've got that fussy client in front of you.

Lea reading your posts you freely admit that you're not over impressed with what you've been taught and you want to know/understand more. You're going to be a good hairdresser as you don't want to just know what to do but why you should do it that way.

exactly thankyou that is my point to me hairdressing is more than a piece of paper and maybe sometimes i doubt that and thik oh well there doing it but i know if i want to be really good its going to take years of experiance and working to be the best i can be to deal with all situations and to feel confident to tackle all hair :bigrin

I don't think you do have to be qualified to be a hairdresser or beauty therapist but if someone chooses to not get qualified then I doubt they will find work when they apply for jobs. I can't imagine an employer taking on an unqualified hairdresser or therapist.
I think any profession that involves the public needs public liability insurance. People must be crazy not to spend £50 a year to keep themselves protected against claims etc.
I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing, Maybe she feels confident enough to just get out there and start practising, she is actually qualified and maybe she will get insurance or she may already have insurance.
If she put in the time and effort to go to college and train and qualify then she must want to be a hairdresser.
I don't think its fair to knock her for getting out there and start being a hairdresser, it would of been more of a waste of the governments money if she had of trained and then not bothered to carry on with her hairdressing.
We don't know for certain that she hasn't registered self employed or that she has or hasn't got insurance.
Everyone has to start somewhere, salon placements are so hard to find so maybe she had no option but to try being mobile.
but i do know because it is my friend as i have stated etc it just some advert i have seen and to me any way ive got my opinion and every one has different so you know maybe if i had not of know en her id of thought twice but i do know her any way not fussed another day etc xx

I havent read all the posts but going back to the op. I know how you feel! I have ten years in the trade an am now a part time mobile hairdresser. I work professionally in people's homes and advertise on Facebook pages. ATM there is this one girl who last week was looking for 'someone who wanted a perm for her to practise' and now she's advertising as fully qualified mobile hairdresser and charges £7.50 for cuts!!! Now mine are £20 for a wetcut, so she's blatantly undercutting me by a lot. I've just got to hope my clients will realise that a experienced hairdresser will not be that cheap! And tbh I'm not one for welcoming clients who just go for the cheapest price, I would prefer loyal clients who appreciate good work and will pay accordingly.

To cut a long story short, just try to rise above and ignore her. You do what's best for you and your career will benefit from it in the long run :)

I havent read all the posts but going back to the op. I know how you feel! I have ten years in the trade an am now a part time mobile hairdresser. I work professionally in people's homes and advertise on Facebook pages. ATM there is this one girl who last week was looking for 'someone who wanted a perm for her to practise' and now she's advertising as fully qualified mobile hairdresser and charges £7.50 for cuts!!! Now mine are £20 for a wetcut, so she's blatantly undercutting me by a lot. I've just got to hope my clients will realise that a experienced hairdresser will not be that cheap! And tbh I'm not one for welcoming clients who just go for the cheapest price, I would prefer loyal clients who appreciate good work and will pay accordingly.

To cut a long story short, just try to rise above and ignore her. You do what's best for you and your career will benefit from it in the long run :)

thankyou :) xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back