As a working salon owner how much do you pay yourself per hour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adara

Reaction score
Hope I dont offend any one, It's just I have had my own salon for 3 years I dont have any staff and iI havent paid myself awage. Ive just taken when needed. I am lucky istill Live with Parents.

I have put all the money back in to the business.

So here goes im not sure what i should be paying myself now per hour what would be the avarage pay per hour. for a working salon owner

Any information would be fantastic

Thankyou

I've had my salon for 1 year now and I pay myself bugger all....well I get a bit but so much less than minimum wage....makes me wonder if it's all worth it lol! I am embarking on a major marketing initiative at the moment so I'll feedback how it goes in terms of gaining business!

I know iv decided to split things in three ways hope it the right way. 1:
1: to cost up treatments
2: my hourly rate
3: Cost to run business

How do you charge if you dont mind me asking

Thanks

My costings are fine....so are my nails lol....it's enough bums on seats I'm lacking! A bit of history in my situation so am trying to pick up the pieces!

i had my salon for three years (sold up to do teaching)and never paid myself a wage. i used to pay the bills etc, see what was left, and plough alot back into business and live off the rest. i was living on my own back then, but was also younger than i am today, so prob should have set it in stone abit more.

I love What I do but I keep thinking is it ever gona work for me.

Sometimes I think it might be easier to go and work for some one at least i'd get an hourly rate and not have to worry to much.

I don't know if any one else feels the same but as I havn't been getting a wage sometimes I don't even want to open up.

Especially when I have my little boy wanting me to come home I feel really bad. This all I ever wanted was my own business but its not all as glamorous as people think its most people's dream from the outside.

Every one tells me how lucky I am and I shouldnt moan but its been a struggle to get here and im still struggling now im going to give it 1 more year and then who knows .

Have you done any major marketing or have you looked to word of mouth and passers by to get you business?

I love What I do but I keep thinking is it ever gona work for me.

Sometimes I think it might be easier to go and work for some one at least i'd get an hourly rate and not have to worry to much.

I don't know if any one else feels the same but as I havn't been getting a wage sometimes I don't even want to open up.

Especially when I have my little boy wanting me to come home I feel really bad. This all I ever wanted was my own business but its not all as glamorous as people think its most people's dream from the outside.

Every one tells me how lucky I am and I shouldnt moan but its been a struggle to get here and im still struggling now im going to give it 1 more year and then who knows .

unless its really that bad, try and keep on going. when you have small children you find yourself just justifying the fact that you work, let alone whether or not you are making much money. Most businesses do not make money in the first two/three years, just concentrate on marketing strategies and customer service. good luck:)

I did have lots of clients but I think iv just made a complete mess of the business. iv prob lost most of them

Iv been ill a lot latley so i havent been open iv had to close at random times as theirs been no one to pick my son up from nursery

And I have no one to luck after him on a saturday

I think I might after re think my opening hours and my prices too and then do some marketing and apologies to my clients

Thanks

I pay my childcare for the children... and buy nail courses.. nail products and goodies which keep me happy! There are perks of having the business though!

Will not be able to pay myself a wage until I am working there full time and my babies are in school - as I will be saving on childcare and the wages of staff.

Got about 3 and 4 years to go I think! :green:

Pretty much the same, i pay childcare and pay for more education and products and not enough left to pay me yet but much better than last year.

I asked myself this question so many times. I had my salon for about 5 years and barely scraped a wage. I was mobile prior to the salon and I always had money before I opened my salon.

I see so many salons opening up (many beautiful looking places) but I have been there and would be very surprised if ANY of them are making money.

Its so hard to make money in this day and age. Someone always wants your cash. (Rent, bills stock, insurance, rates, training,wages) and we know that at the end of this, no matter how hard we work there is little left for us.

It may sound defeatest but the best thing I did was give it up, BUT I would NEVER tell someone else to do this.

I always wonder if hair nails & beauty ever actually make a profit. Obviously some do - but I think its a small percentage.

Its a non stop job of promotion, marketing and providing an outstanding service. Exhausting!!

i dont pay myself either....lol.... ive been open abt 2 yrs now and unfortunately rent etc.. comes first..... yep i do have some money to live on and im lucky i still live with my parents (which saves lots of pennies ;))
my local council are.... erm...( i cant think of a nice word to describe them! ) not nice.....and thought they'd up my rent a few % (okay 115%:eek: ) when the rent review was due...(2 months after i opened).. so with the increase in rent and loan etc... i know it will all be worth it in the end... you have to speculate to accumulate imo and we all have to start somewhere and i love my job and love my salon

Jess
xox

i dont pay myself either....lol.... ive been open abt 2 yrs now and unfortunately rent etc.. comes first..... yep i do have some money to live on and im lucky i still live with my parents (which saves lots of pennies ;))
my local council are.... erm...( i cant think of a nice word to describe them! ) not nice.....and thought they'd up my rent a few % (okay 115%:eek: ) when the rent review was due...(2 months after i opened).. so with the increase in rent and loan etc... i know it will all be worth it in the end... you have to speculate to accumulate imo and we all have to start somewhere and i love my job and love my salon

Jess
xox
More and more I'm wondering what the hell I am doing lol!!!!:hug: :irked: I can't keep saying 'one day' forever.......well I guess I will see how my mailing goes and if it doesn't work, give up after that lol.....sorry to hijack the thread for my personal moans!

I love my job and my salon too, but I have kids to feed, I can't go on taking £100 per week for a full time job forever!

Well I don't own a salon but i do rent a room in a salon & at the moment I don't pay myself anything !

Just about every penny I earn is invested back into the business ! :eek:

Luckily I live with my parents to but after about 6 months they weren't as supportive as id hoped they don't understand it takes time to build a client base I think they thought Id be fully booked from the word go which as we know isn't the case !!

I anticipate it being another year before I will be able to draw a (reasonable) wage from the business.

Sorry I can't be more help, just wanted you to know your not on your own !

I really really want to hear if anyone actually is doing well from their investment.

I want to hear someone having 2 and 3 hols a year and a nice house and a good lifestyle.

I want to hear about someone saying 'its really hard work and was hard at first but now its paying for itself now'

If we hear this from someone then it will be worth it for you all one day, and keep you motivated.

Like I said earlier, I have no regrets about giving up my salon (my only regret was I didnt get the salon I had in my mind - it was fantastic)

I am mobile and thats the way I prefer it but thats hard too and I am still paying off my debts I built up with my salon.

I have had my salon since Dec, and I too am not taking a wage from it yet. I'm just about making enough to cover the rent and bills etc, all I take for myself is my tips!!! lol, pays for my ciggies I guess. I have no other commitments, no mortgage or car to pay for, so I guess I'm in the ideal position, but I totally agree that sometimes it really gets me down. I used to earn good money in my full time job, and now I'm living like a student! lol!

BUT... I have my own business, I have lovely clients, I look at my salon every day and think, 'Thats MINE' - 'I made that happen' - I am no longer un happy in a 9 - 5 grind and constantly being bashed over the head by a big wig for more more more! I work nearly 50 hours a week, and it really does tire me out. But I am willing to stick it out and be poor :D just to see if my dream of owning a business AND doing well from it will actually happen.

Its a long, hard, stressful journey, but the fact that you have a salon is a massive step in the right direction!! Maybe have a shake up, re think your marketing, get a website if you havent already got one, think of some new promotions to offer for the summer, get some new clients through the door and really really push yourself. If you have a few new 'ideas' in place you may feel a bit more motivated?

We all need geeky support at times, I have no doubt I'll need a kick up the backside soon!! xxx your not alone though hun, please remember that x

Thank you so much for your replies , I am so amazed that im not alone and has made me feel more positive and determined.

I hope I too will have a sucess story to tell one day

I don't have a salon, so can't comment on the hourly wage, but from reading on this board and seeing what's happening in my local area, salons are struggling.

Even thou my retail potential could be more having a salon, I believe I earn more being mobile and working from home, and I don't think things will get any easier:grr:

This isnt my own personal success story, but a friend owns two salons and is absolutely rolling in the stuff!! Not sure of facts and figures but certainly doing very well!

Keep at it - I am sure it will come right in the end!!

I was thinking of opening a salon - having second thoughts now - lol!!

Jacqui

Latest posts

Back