Ashy brunette Wella colour recipes please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLK

Reaction score
So my colleague is colouring my hair in a few days and was planning on using a bristle brush combing on technique with blondor to prelighten ends, (I have seen this done but neither of us have tried it yet). I'm a base 6 with a lot of stubborn warm pigments in my hair. Looking for advice on colour recipes for a flat ashy brunette tone. I'm not long back from maternity leave so I'm out of touch with grey colour recipes. Im wella trained but not overly familiar with the newer illumina colours or the innocence range. I was thinking 8/69 and Pastel, but worried about going a khaki grey with the warmer undertones. Maybe darker like 7/81 would be better? I've always been warm in tones so fancied a bit of a change. New mum.. new me .

So my colleague is colouring my hair in a few days and was planning on using a bristle brush combing on technique with blondor to prelighten ends, (I have seen this done but neither of us have tried it yet). I'm a base 6 with a lot of stubborn warm pigments in my hair. Looking for advice on colour recipes for a flat ashy brunette tone. I'm not long back from maternity leave so I'm out of touch with grey colour recipes. Im wella trained but not overly familiar with the newer illumina colours or the innocence range. I was thinking 8/69 and Pastel, but worried about going a khaki grey with the warmer undertones. Maybe darker like 7/81 would be better? I've always been warm in tones so fancied a bit of a change. New mum.. new me .
How many shades are you looking to lift your base colour? Is the hair that you will be lightening coloured or a natural 6?

I would like to lift my hair to around a level 8-9, my hair is coloured, I'm natural the base of a 5 but my hair is coloured to a level 6. Im hoping to achieve a balayage type affect keeping my dark roots and only lightening the ends. I know realistically I'm not going to get it much lighter than a level 8-9 in one go and I would like to keep the integrity of my hair by avoiding over lightening. My concern is that a level 8-9 are when the orangey and yellowy tones show through and as my hair has very strong warm pigment I'm worried that using a grey colour will turn the colour more green than grey.

You need to neutralise the bleached hair first before applying any grey colour. I'd use a semi.
Grey usually has a blue base so it will turn raw bleached hair a khaki green tinge.

Ok so I ll try to use something with a strong violet or cendre tone before applying the grey. I'm off to the wholesalers tomorrow to see what I can find. Thank you.

I would like to lift my hair to around a level 8-9, my hair is coloured, I'm natural the base of a 5 but my hair is coloured to a level 6. Im hoping to achieve a balayage type affect keeping my dark roots and only lightening the ends. I know realistically I'm not going to get it much lighter than a level 8-9 in one go and I would like to keep the integrity of my hair by avoiding over lightening. My concern is that a level 8-9 are when the orangey and yellowy tones show through and as my hair has very strong warm pigment I'm worried that using a grey colour will turn the colour more green than grey.
Mix 7/81 and 8/96 illumina, the violet will neutralise the yellow and the pearl ash will create your grey colour, with ough the kahki hue, saves double processing

Latest posts

Back