Beauty van

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivozu

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I posted a few days who about starting up with a beauty van. I think Im gonna go ahead and take the plunge however id like some advice.
Basically my plan is, during the summer months to go along to campsites etc and offer a commission to the owners to park up all day. (obviously if they don't already have spa facilities there!) living in the south west means I've got lots to choose from etc!
Im just bit worried about winter time.....basically id have to go to different towns/villages and try and get some regular clients. Do you think this would work?
Please be honest as Im a bit dubious as to whether anyone would want to pay for nails, tanning, massage etc in a van?! Holiday makers are different!
Honest opinions would be greatly appreciated or some advice on other options :)
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

A few of my clients have mentioned that someone used to come to their work.maybe in the winter months you could go to call centres or places with a car park,park up and on dinner times and breaks do treatments
Xx

That's a good idea I hadn't thought about that. Thanks :) I guess id have to research companies and make some phone calls! Im just worried id run out of work in the winter months so need lots of ideas!

Alternatively you could have set days that you travel to different areas/neighbourhoods (bit like an ice cream van!) .. Flyer around the areas you will be visiting and on the flyer put "I will be in your area on such a such day at such a such place .. Pop along for your beauty needs" :) ..xx

Yes i think doing it that way would be better so i can limit my travelling in a day! Do you think id get many clients? I have moments where i think il do loads and then i think what if no one comes in?! :-\ flyers is a must though! Thanks for your help
Xx

i personally wouldnt as having treatments in a van wouldnt appeal to me but thats not to say others wouldnt everyones different after all.

i think going to work places such as call centres would b a good idea as they have different break times but u need to b realistic in how many treatments u could fit in and if it would cover cost and b beneficial for u to do.

Yes see this is my main concern. I too don't feel like I would want a treatment in a van. If I was on holiday and it was an easy opportunity to get my nails done or have a back massage, then yes, I would. However, if someone parked up on my street I don't know that id do it...... I think id have to go to more 'out of the way' places where a salon isn't near.
The trouble is living in the south west, there aren't many establishments like call centres etc.
I also plan on doing wedding parties etc but obviously that won't be enough for the whole of winter!
Xx

Why don't u leaflet drop for mobile appts (in their own home) for winter? I don't know what ideas u have for ur van but in winter I wouldn't fancy stripping off for a massage in a van.

Altho I think the campsite idea is a fab one! But I'd prob offer mobile alongside and set a few days up for the holiday makers, then u still have a business in the quieter times. Xx

I started to think about your idea thinking how would you make the inside of a van look good enough for treatments, and while coming up with some ideas i thought about lighting and how are you going to see in the back of a van! Really give it lots of thought of how it is going to be set up inside.

I've thought about all of these things and I do think id struggle to get massage clients, summer or winter! So id have to focus on nails, eye treatments, tanning etc. I think the mobile idea of going into homes is a good idea for winter just to appeal to more people.

Really thank you all for your help :)

I've seen this idea mooted before on here and I have to say its not for me.
As a client I would hate the idea of walking out the front door into the back of a van with half my neighbours watching and knowing that I was having treatments.

I think targeting call centres is a good idea but Im not so sure about the campsites. I think you should do further market research in this area. Maybe get some questionaires and ask to distribute them at local campsites.

When i say campsites I mean big campsites. With hundreds of people onsite. This is more likely to work than call centres in my opinion. When your on holiday you're in holiday mode, if you walk past a van offering treatments right on your doorstep you're more likely to have something done than if you walk past a salon at home! Plus you're changing your client base weekly! Where as call centres, like someone pointed out earlier will only be an hour a day. Also i probably wouldn't be able to go to someone's door, id have to park up somewhere and leaflet drop to say id be in the area on such day. Im aware id have to get in contact with the council etc.

If im on holiday though, i have usually had all my treatments done before i go.

I wouldnt like them done in the back of a van either.

If im on holiday though, i have usually had all my treatments done before i go.

I wouldnt like them done in the back of a van either.
sorry to seem like im pooping ur idea but i agree i have everything done prior to going on holiday tan, nails, hair etc. i think u need to have a think about the type of people who go camping dont mean to sound stereotyical but u need to make sure the business would be there and i personally think it would limited and may not be worth it thinking about it. but then again ive only ever been camping 2 but i hated it both times! haha

Last edited:
i have to agree that most of us would have had nails,tan,waxing etc done before we go on hols, would maybe have a massage or facial on hol but would defo not have one in a van, surely you would hear everything outside (cars going past etc) so would not be relaxing, obviously this is just my opinion

why dont you just set up as mobile and target holiday homes in the summer,maybe you would get work and target offices where they would let you take in portable massage couch etc in lunch hours(some companies like this as beneficial for their workforce to be happy and relaxed)

whatever you decide good luck xx

It sounds a very innovative idea, and I commend you for that.
Just a couple of thoughts:
  • You will need to think about how casual callers will book. What I'm thinking is that you don't want people rapping on the van's door when you've got a client.
  • Ventilation. If you're tanning it will be a confined space.
Hope it all works out for you.

I have considered the type of people who go camping but like i said id go to big campsites that have static caravans/lodges etc. Realistically on my own id need 10clients a day.....out of hundreds of people i don't think that's unacheivable. And then id come back maybe 2 weeks later to fresh new faces. Id predominantly be offering nails, minx, shellac etc. Im totally aware the chances of me getting massages,waxing,facials are slim!
The van would be big (you will be able to stand) and have windows fitted etc.
Appreciate all the advice guys!

I have considered the type of people who go camping but like i said id go to big campsites that have static caravans/lodges etc. Realistically on my own id need 10clients a day.....out of hundreds of people i don't think that's unacheivable. And then id come back maybe 2 weeks later to fresh new faces. Id predominantly be offering nails, minx, shellac etc. Im totally aware the chances of me getting massages,waxing,facials are slim!

Like a library van or smaller? I think it's something I would go for if I was on my hols as I'm not organised enough to have everything done before I go.

I think you'd get new faces after a week, or even on a rolling programme depending on the site's booking policy.

Wouldn't be far off a library van! (This is the other issue I have of being able to drive it :p definately need to practise!)
I've just said every 2 weeks as I want to try and get to as many campsites as possible, and possibly leave space to still visit small towns/villages if I do manage to get clients this way.
I thought I could try and leave leaflets in receptions of the sites and ask if they'd mind leaving some inside caravans etc.
I was thinking of offering the sites 30% commission. Do you think this is fair? Or more or less?!
Xx

Latest posts

Back