Beauty van

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps do campsites in summer, and why not a few festivals maybe (or is that a bad idea Im not sure? Ive never been to one but just thought that youd get lots of people there although I suppose you get drunk clients then too as its a festival.. hmm)? perhaps u could do the van thing only in the summer and rest of year just do mobile, so go to peoples homes and do treatments? x

I was thinking of offering the sites 30% commission. Do you think this is fair? Or more or less?!
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek[/QUOTE]

I would go in at less. Unless you're taking up a valuable space they are only providing a parking space (+ electricity hook-up?. Not sure what your water plans are)

Primarily sell it to them as an added extra for their holiday makers. You could be a real asset and selling point for the site.

Perhaps you could offer a free treatment for the "employee of the month." Added incentive to management.

I think it's a fantastic idea, more and more people go clamping now, but I would suggest doing a blowdry and hair up course too, target campsites with limited shower facilities that way you will get more chance of people coming to you after showers with wet hair for it dried, even £5 a blowdry, when your times are good would be £20 a hour on best case scenario.

If the interior was inviting, warm an well cmdecorated I wouldn't be put off when camping.
An idea would be have a gazebo by the door for a waiting area with seats.

Lastly, for the people on here who wouldn't want to be in a van, would an old fashioned interior campervan be possible to get hold of, that way you can strip te interior, section it off to have a indoor waiting area, a treatment area and a toilet, plus they have heating so great for winter xoxo

I love the idea of employee of the month! Really good idea thank you!

Yes I think you're right I will offer less commission to start. I won't be needing water as I plan to have a water tank of some sort. However, i really like the idea of offering blowdrys and I guess if I did that id need a water supply....... Eeek I've never considered doing hair but may have to look into it :p

I have thought about having a trailer of some sort rather than a van. I do think it could be more inviting like you say. Il have a word with the other half as he'd be doing the work! :p
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

You also need to make sure you have the right driving licence.

Oh, just thought that when iv been camping I still like to keep my looks, I take a 2 ft mirror just so I can see my whole face not the little bit you see in the car mirrors, and imagining people are half as vain as me, they would appreciate some1 who can fix a broken nail, re tint their eyebrows after they used the pool, or be annoyed their tan hasn't come allong fast enough so have it sprayed on.

Gonna start a thread on camping now in chit chat. Xoxo

You also need to make sure you have the right driving licence.

Yes, if you passed your test after 1/1/97 the largest vehicle you can drive is a MGW of 3,500kg. A lot smaller than the mobile library size you are talking about.

Thanks I was aware I may need to take a test depending on size of the van. As of yet I haven't totally decided on the van but Il bare it in mind thank you :)
Im glad Im getting some positivity :)
X

I think it's an innovative and really fun idea with lots of possibilities.

You do need to consider the practicalities and costs and weigh up the pros and cons. The other geeks have given some good, honest feedback and some great ideas. Do consider security (from theft), heating, ventilation and privacy for the treatments you would like to offer and the clients you aim to get.

I think campers would love manis, pedis and blowdrys.

I also think if you came up with a clever idea you could easily pick up lots of bookings in large companies or industrial / business parks - especially if they have shift work so people can take their breaks and book appointments at different times. This would especially be a great idea for Fridays - get your blow dry / upstyle / make up / manicure before you head out for a date / after work drinks.

I have heard of a salon on a barge - i think it's called the Floating Salon - they could be good to contact to get advice or mentoring? You would be a similar business type but not competing directly.

I think it's great to hear of new ideas - especially in times of recession.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

What About an vintage style streamline caravan? They look pretty cool and would have loads of space? X

Ps surely if people want to live in a caravan or tent for a week they would be more than happy to have treatments done in them? And you could decorate it to look really good! X x

Sorry by streamline I actually mean airstream! Duh!

Haha I have seen the American airstream caravans done out before and they look amazing! However, I think its a bit out of my limit price wise. :-\
But I agree I think people will be more than happy to have treatments done in a van if its done nicely. Its not literally gonna be cramming people in the back as i think a lot of people are thinking!
X

Lol to begin with I thought u meant like one of the transit vans builders have, that's y I suggested the camper van xoxo

Theres a place near me who does tans in a van, i just wouldnt feel safe or comfortable in the back of a van lol x

Well I think it's a brill idea! I would though be mobile and do this as extra work maybe 1 or 2 days a week that way your building a regular clientele aswell as your camper friends. I think the treatments people would go for would be nails / minx / lash tint brows pedicures not sure about the tans depends how big your van is i guess. You could do children's nails too or facepainting . Good luck with it smart idea . ;-)

My parents are big caravaners and my mother says she would happily have a treatment in an appropriately kitted out caravan or motorhome.

Glitter tattoos might go down well with kids and teenagers and might be the type of thing you have done on holiday.

If im on holiday though, i have usually had all my treatments done before i go.

I wouldnt like them done in the back of a van either.

Although I'd like to agree with this, I often don't find the time along with all the packing and last minute things I must do before I go!

I holiday on campsites in Cornwall every year and I personally find the idea appealing! I spend weeks arranging pet care, packing etc and always forget about myself! And after all I'm on holiday to relax so what better way than to ditch the kids with the other half and have some me time?!

I would avoid the 'chains' if possible, espeically Haven as they are money grabbing and would probably expect a high rate to do so but there is, and trust I know seeing as I've been on most of them!, a lot of large family or small chain campsites that I think would the love idea as a way of offering more to the people on the park.

I really like the idea and will lokk out for you on future holidays! Good luck!

The kids nails/glitter tattoos etc are a really good idea, I hadn't even considered kids that's great!
Like I said the van would be big enough to stand up in and long enough to have a couch and nail bar. My boyfriend converts vans into campers so he'd insulate it for me, put lights in/ventilation etc. Windows! And we plan on having an awning of some sort on the side for people to wait if needed. I know its not going to be ideal in villages with clients booking up etc......id just have to make sure I leave enough time between clients so even if they turn up early they won't be waiting long.
Thank you for the advice on big chain campsites, Il bear that in mind :)
Xx

Latest posts

Back