Been sacked just before Christmas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queen_bee

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Unfortunately I got sacked just before Christmas and I just need some advice.

I have been working as a part time Junior therapist (im 24) at a small salon since October; I was on probabtion until January. Everything was going fine or so I thought until I got flu, sickness & diahorrea just before Christmas. I was so ill but still went in on the Weds and Fri. I didnt have clients but I thought that they would need me for reception and general support. The clients having their nails done actually commented that I shouldnt be there and that they didnt want to catch what I'd got!

I was due to go on the staff Christmas do on the Sat evening but I spoke to the owner and told her on the Fri that I dont think I could make it as I was really ill. I went to the doctors on the Mon (my doctors isnt open at the weekend) and he said im unfit for work and signed me off. I phoned the owner straight away to tell her so she could organise cover. She was quite blunt and just said 'thanks for letting me know' and didnt even want me to post her the Doctors certificate. Later that evening she left me a voicemail saying that 'it wasn't working out' and that she was giving me a weeks notice and would post me my p45 and wages.

I was quite shocked as everything she asked me to do, I did including all the cleaning, reception duties and any odd jobs. Plus I didnt have any complaints from clients and completed my Dermalogica training. I was always 15 minutes early for work so I would be prepared for the day. I dont understand how it was not working out?

Ive never been one to take time off but it was a lot more than just the sniffles!

I dont really know what to do now? The last salon I was at I was made redundant as the salon closed! Im really starting to lose faith in the industry :(

x

I think it may be an idea to ask her for a review meeting now that your employemend has ended. Tell her you would welcome any feedback she could give you regarding your time there.

You might find out it has nothing to do with you/your sickness etc. It may just be that she can't afford to keep you on or a dozen other reasons.

However, if there are any issues, it would be helpful for you to be told (in a constructive way) so that you can learn from it and move on.

The fact you are worrying about it suggests you really care about what you do so i'm sure it will work out for you.

good luck x

i know this might sound harsh but she probably had no intention of keeping u on after january so many salons are quiet at this time of the year after the xmas boom and so many people are let go wev done it in our salon befor cos sometimes u just cant afford extra staff through quieter times chin up get ur best uniform on hair and make up to the nines and go round places and ask for jobs cheer up babe xx

Awww, bless you!
This is very unfair,

But if i were you, i would take it on the chin,think of it as her loss,and move on.Might sound harsh,but in life you have to take knocks, you will become a stronger person for it.I mean, do you really want to be working for someone like that anyway?

I dont really know your situaton,but i do hope you dont have a mortgage etc to pay.
If i were you, i would be typing up some c.v`s right now,think about where you want to go next in youre career, i believe things happen for a reason, 6 months down the line, i bet you look back at this,and thank god it happened, theres endless opportunitys in this industry, you just need to map out a plan, and take your next step.

Try not to be too upset,and let us know how you get on : )

Kate x

Sorry to hear this hon. But as I agree you really should ask her for some feedback. Even tell her if she isn't comfortable talking to you face to face then get her to write it in a letter. After all you will need a reference from her so if it's bad you want to know.
I agree that it is a bad time of year for staff. All my girls are self employed so makes things so much better for me as an employee. I agree that the way she had done this is out of order. Is she a young owner or inexperienced? It can be awful letting staff go and some employers just pick the easy option and be sneaky with it.
I really would ask her for her reasons. More than likely it is because she just couldn't afford to keep you but on the other hand I'm sorry to say it but if your treatment standards arn't up to scratch then you need to know. At least then you could try and find a job next time that maybe able to focus more on your post education.
Good luck hon and let us know what happens.
xx

This just happened to me tonight!! I got a phone call from the owners to tell me they've had to let me go because there isnt enough work for 2 therapist's even if I was part time............ I'm totally gutted but going to see about going it alone or get another job!! Luckily I'm still @ college so I'll get money in from my loan but still a bit :eek: at the mo!! I'm re doing my CV and trawling the internet for anything and everything

Aw Leanne, best of luck. Keep trying x

I don't know how to break the news to my clients?! Do I leave it up to the owners and let the other therapist take over all my clients? I dont know how it all works (first job in a salon)

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. :( You need to leave it to the salon to inform the clients. If you contact them, you may cause a whole host of problems for yourself.
Don't let it out you off. Just keep your chin up and start the job hunt in Jan. Good luck. :)

You could put an advert in the local paper? Ive seen a few hair salons introducing new hairdressers which says formally of ............ cant see why you cant do it for beauty too hth xx

Its a hard industry babe and sometimes ruthless. Ive had the same off 3 salons till i started working for myself :) but then when you work for yourself you have no one to point out to you where your going wrong so working for someone and getting the constructive critisism maybe just what you need to build a better, stronger therapist in yourself.

Do ask for a meeting, hear her out and take note as you learn from your mistakes, youve got a long way to go and hard times to get through in this industry.

On the other note, she may just have been using you.

Dont give up, keep on moving on :)

Do you think it would be cheeky of me to put an ad in the paper to say I was formally of.......... now offering mobile services???

I pretty much feel chewed up and spat back out at the mo!! There's always been an underlying issue with one of the owners as I'm not your norm for a beauty therapist (what she considered norm any way)..........yes I'm now bitter :)

I worried mentioning your previous salons name is against some kind of law? Ask the owner if you can do that, if she says no, then do one saying " Blabla formally of a well known salon on blabla road, welcomes her old and new clients too join her for future bookings in the comfort of your own home"

Sorry i called you blabla lol!

Stick on some offers and all should be good :)

Advertisements are expensive but worth it in the right paper.

Thanks I'm going in later on tonight to collect some of my bits and pieces so I will bring it with them Thanks x

Latest posts

Back