Being pushy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle0904

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

not too sure how to go about this, basically I handed out leaflets at my sons nursery over a month ago now and when the lady took them from me she seemed very excited saying I would get lots of business from them as a lot of the girls have it done etc etc and even she herself wanted them doing, so for a week or so after whenever I bumped into her she would mention she needed to book and a few other girls were really keen and will let me know so I waited with anticipation for all this business I was supposedly getting

but over a month later nothing and I don't even get any comments about booking at all now, I wanted to say something as it seems odd after all that positivity that nothing has come of it, but don't want to be too pushy and make her feel awkward.

I feel this was my key to a fantastic little business venture and now I feel I have lost it and as I am not sure where else I can get clients I am pretty stagnant just redoing my own nails constantly as my hands just need to do nails LOL

please help xx

I would maybe message or email her maybe say u have an offer on that ends soon or so thing then if she still doesn't book then just leave it like u said u don't want to seem pushy and don't want to come across as desperate I get most of my clients off facebook selling sites I go on there a few times a week advertising also leaflet drop round your area hope that helps Hun chin up u will get there took me a while :) xx

I don't have any contact details for her, and its not just her directly I want , I want bookings from all the nursery

currently I went to her with a special offer so cant do another offer unless I do something like 'first 5 bookings' go into a raffle to win a free gelish manicure

I also thought of doing a demo nail, application of gelish to one of their nails for free

but until I know what the problem is I don't know what to offer if you know what I mean, i.e if its just bad timing nothing I offer is going to work so ideally I would love to ask what she thinks is the problem but just don't know how to word this or approach it

luckily she is down to earth and approachable but I still want to get it right

People can be very fickle this way. It's human nature... A bit like saying, oh, I must have you over for coffee and then never inviting you.

To confront the lady face to face, however politely or nicely, may seem a little pushy so I agree with Tracylou81, perhaps mention that you have a special introductory offer or similar and if she still does not book, then leave it.

I am sorry that this happend . but You need to put your self out there more . If you want this to work .

You can't count clients until they are there getting that treatment from you .
So you can't really morn the loss of potential clients that never even booked.

You said you wear at your sons nursery right?
, well I wouldn't apply to much pressure there . You have to see the staff /other mums regularly , they are there to work or collect /drop off there kids not be touted for treatments . And then feel bad , hide , avoid or justify when they see you ,

I know that sounds harsh , but please try to look at it from there possible point of view . Some people do find it near impossible to say no to someone , especially when they have to see you regularly .

Do you still have leaflets ? Maybe go to your local Library , corner shops , supermarkets , and the like , pay and have your leaflet added to there notice board . Most shops charge about £2 for a month.

Try free add web sites , local classified web sites , even Facebook . Wedding shops ,

There are so many ways to get your name out there , but it dose take work ,

Personally I probably wouldn't mention it again... But thats just me.

Have you read the thread more ways to promote your business?

If you could speak to the nursery manager, you could ask them if they are doing an xmas fayre? & donate a voucher for a prize? Doesn't have to be just that nursery, you can contact all local nurseries/ schools in your area.

Xx

I think its because it wasn't like she was just like ''oh right that's great.....'' to humour me

SHE actually mentioned it to me several times afterwards but its just nothing happened

I asked for advice on here a while back and was told to go to them with a special offer and a raffle, but as I got so must positive interest when dropping the leaflets I didn't offer the raffle as I didn't think I would need to, maybe that was a mistake at least the winner could of generated some bookings when showing hers off :sad:

I really do appreciate your comments but do leaflets drops and shop window advertising really work?? even my educators from my courses said these are a waste of time esp the leaflet drops, apparentley its a lot of work for not much come back, think the ratio is 1000 leaflets gets 1 booking

Why not offer her a free set of nails so that she will show them off to advertise for you. You could approach her and say "Ive just had some new stock come in that I'd like to try out and I'm looking for a model. I know you were keen to have yours done, could you make next Thursday at 5pm?"
That would be just an example. You could say that you need to try out some nail art and you want some photos for an advert, or something. I'm sure you'll think of something.
That way, it will cost you the same as if you had given a free set to the raffle. Once she has had them done, likes the experience and shows them off, others might bite too. Try and pin her down on a day and time so she cant put it off again.

I had 1 from 100 leaflets.

Still go with a raffle prize, as it shouldnt be nursery staff it should be parents of the children who win :) it gently also gives them a reminder of what you do. Plus you can go to other nurseries with a voucher ;)

I have a nursery nurse who isnt allowed varnish let alone gel on her nails. She has her toes done though.

When I donate a voucher, it tends to be for toes or a tan as both don't take up too much of my time. I also put an expiry date on!

Xx

ok girls, thanks for that sounding a lot more positive :D

do you think its ok to offer her a freebie directly, I would just b a bit worried it looks like I am favouring and then the other staff might be reluctant to pay, would I ask her not to mention its a freebie?

Drug companies are the richest companies in the world. Thier sales techniques can replicate into other industries.

Ther sales reps do not waste time and energy to people not interested in the products, they sell only to the already converted, people already using the products.

Therefore can you do more offers to the clients you already have? They already love your work so invest in them, do refer a friend vouchers, let your existing clients sell your services.

Even a modest client base can bring you great business. I wouldn't waste my time on people who may not be interested. I've also found that if my nails are immaculate, going to the gym etc my hands are grabbed saying oooh where did you get them done so make sure you flash your hands all the time, make sure they are on show all the time.
Good luck

Drug companies are the richest companies in the world. Thier sales techniques can replicate into other industries.

Ther sales reps do not waste time and energy to people not interested in the products, they sell only to the already converted, people already using the products.

Therefore can you do more offers to the clients you already have? They already love your work so invest in them, do refer a friend vouchers, let your existing clients sell your services.

Even a modest client base can bring you great business. I wouldn't waste my time on people who may not be interested. I've also found that if my nails are immaculate, going to the gym etc my hands are grabbed saying oooh where did you get them done so make sure you flash your hands all the time, make sure they are on show all the time.
Good luck

Thanks hun , but I don't have any clients at all :(

oh sorry i thought you were building up your client base.

how about putting flyers through doors with a cut out voucher that gives a tiny discount on the xmas manicure.

or doing family and good friends if they promise to promote you ?

who is your local competition and do they do something you dont?

could you get a manicure at a competitor to see what edge they have over you.

eeven running a living social or groupon deal? with no clients now you have nothing to lose.
how about treatment swapping with a beautician who doesnt do nails so they can be wearing your nails and recommending you.

sending you huge hugs

im just re reading the thread, are you mobile, home or salon based as there are differences on how to get clients?

ok girls, thanks for that sounding a lot more positive :D

do you think its ok to offer her a freebie directly, I would just b a bit worried it looks like I am favouring and then the other staff might be reluctant to pay, would I ask her not to mention its a freebie?

You could let her know that you need one model and they could choose amongst themselves who should get the freebie if you want to be totally fair, but that might cause other problems. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the others say something, you could promise that they will be the next people to get a free treatment when you have new products to try.

How about gumtree- I got quite a few clients from it! Ads cost £6 but it's worth it as off each ad I got like 6-8 clients!

I am home based :)

it's also hard when people I speak to are giving advise for one thing and others are saying its a waste of time

it would make a great thread to name each individuals most successful client builder, besides recommendation as this is the way everyone rates the most but I still need to get a few to actually do the recommending

I feel very strongly about the leaflet drops don't work comment!
When started my business I had no experience what so ever, no clients, no potential clients. Every single one of my clients have been generated by me. I leaflet dropped around a small local area, it's time consuming yes but it starts people talking, then I took my leaflets to my local primary schools and handed them out with my beautiful nails and a friendly smile, I then went inside and left leaflets in the staff rooms, then went to toddler groups and again handed out leaflets. Left leaflets in the butchers, Chinese, cafe, community centres. Then went to diet clubs, Zumba and every ladies night I could hear about! Its a huge amount of effort and time but I've not once advertised anywhere, all my business is word of mouth and I'm busy most days and thinking about expanding!! Go on girl get your smile on, armed with leaflets, your diary and most of all your personality! SSx

Differing methods work for different business.
As a minimum I would have a website, facebook and twitter account and upload regularly of pictures of your work.

Social media and the Internet are huge for developing businesses.

There are lots of advice for you in this thread, if none of this works then it may be an idea to get someone in the industry to give you a no holds barred feedback after having a treatment from you to work on.

Search online for advice on promoting your business too.

Have a look at home business that are successful and compare their advertising to yours.

If you have a hairdresser could you ask to leave your info with them too it's the same target client group.

At the nursery do you look like a professional? How you look can sell your business too, immaculate at all times. There is a thread about that on here too.

Your business is a package, your treatments, you and your premises = reputation and clients.
Is your home salon professional. No kids running round, smells of the tea cooking etc etc.
Just a few pointers to consider.
Let's us all know how it goes and what you did to get over this stumbling block.

thanks so much for that SMILLIESHELLAC :)

might sound silly but when doing leaflet drops in the schools, ladies nights, gyms, toddler groups, how do you go about this, do you ask the staff if you can give them out, I just have these odd visions off hanging around like a spare part outside waiting to pounce LOL

Latest posts

Back