Being pushy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Differing methods work for different business.
As a minimum I would have a website, facebook and twitter account and upload regularly of pictures of your work.

Social media and the Internet are huge for developing businesses.

There are lots of advice for you in this thread, if none of this works then it may be an idea to get someone in the industry to give you a no holds barred feedback after having a treatment from you to work on.

Search online for advice on promoting your business too.

Have a look at home business that are successful and compare their advertising to yours.

If you have a hairdresser could you ask to leave your info with them too it's the same target client group.

At the nursery do you look like a professional? How you look can sell your business too, immaculate at all times. There is a thread about that on here too.

Your business is a package, your treatments, you and your premises = reputation and clients.
Is your home salon professional. No kids running round, smells of the tea cooking etc etc.
Just a few pointers to consider.
Let's us all know how it goes and what you did to get over this stumbling block.

I have a facebook page and I am always immaculate (always get comments on my glamourous appearance)

I have a dedicated beauty room which is also well presented and immaculate

I also believe my work is very good and the 2 people I have done nails for are extremely impressed and have turned from nail virgins into people who love having their nails done ( 1 is a friend the other a colleague) they have both sang my praises to everyone they know and they are both successful sales people so know how to sell something to someone) its just unfortunate that my friend lives 30 miles away so all her collegues and friends do too otherwise I think I would of been fully booked from her alone as she gets daily comments on her nails.

hope this post doesn't make me look full of myself , I really am not :o

All good advise so far- but just bringing things back to basics. Have your appointment book with you, and the next time someone says oh I'm really keen to book in... Then say, fab I have my appointment book here, when suits you... Get her booked in there and then. It's not pushy, it's just organised!!!

Also, why not offer one of these girls, or a friend to have a nail party- figure out how many you can do in a set time (3 hours) and say the host can have hers done her free (to start) then maybe half price going forward... They can all bring wine, you could get a cheap bottle of Buck's Fizz or two, that way you get multiple opertunity to show off your work. Those 3 or 4 people will be walking advertisements for you!!!
If your full of fun, and have a great evening with them while they are there all the better!!!!

I have a facebook page and I am always immaculate (always get comments on my glamourous appearance)

I have a dedicated beauty room which is also well presented and immaculate

I also believe my work is very good and the 2 people I have done nails for are extremely impressed and have turned from nail virgins into people who love having their nails done ( 1 is a friend the other a colleague) they have both sang my praises to everyone they know and they are both successful sales people so know how to sell something to someone) its just unfortunate that my friend lives 30 miles away so all her collegues and friends do too otherwise I think I would of been fully booked from her alone as she gets daily comments on her nails.

hope this post doesn't make me look full of myself , I really am not :o

Not at all, as you're good sing it from the rooftops. Can you get a little testimonial form those family and friends to upload on your internet places? It shows good reviews so will help sell your services.
Anther thought have you gone on yell and googled the services in your area and get yourself put on those free referral sites?

As you don't get footfall you need to be very Internet visible.
Is it worth setting up a stall at local events offering express mani or the likes? How about having your car sign written, that worked for me.

ok great, I will make a list and try and get through as many as possible

just wanted to find the most successful tried and tested ways of getting clients rather than the time wasters, I am not looking for a quick fix and know it takes time its just I have a full time job and a toddler so don't get much spare time so when I do I want to make the most of it and put it to good use

xx

I don't want to sound harsh but relying on clients from one source is never going to create a viable business or client list.

You really have to get yourself out there all the time, and in as many different ways as possible.

There have a been lots of threads on here about starting a beauty business from scratch and a lot of therapists will agree it took them 2-3 years before they began to see any real profit (I know that was certainly true for me)

I really admire anyone who decides to give it a go on their own but, handing out leaflets and waiting for the business to roll in is never going to work.

You have to be dedicated to marketing, following up leads, making contacts, getting your business known etc and there are loads of threads on here on the best ways to do this.

Please don't think I'm being negative - I'm not. I just feel you need to think of other ways to generate clients, rather than relying on the one place.

It will take time, but don't be disheartened. If you offer a good service, word will spread but it won't happen overnight.

Good Luck

I don't want to sound harsh but relying on clients from one source is never going to create a viable business or client list.

You really have to get yourself out there all the time, and in as many different ways as possible.

There have a been lots of threads on here about starting a beauty business from scratch and a lot of therapists will agree it took them 2-3 years before they began to see any real profit (I know that was certainly true for me)

I really admire anyone who decides to give it a go on their own but, handing out leaflets and waiting for the business to roll in is never going to work.

You have to be dedicated to marketing, following up leads, making contacts, getting your business known etc and there are loads of threads on here on the best ways to do this.

Please don't think I'm being negative - I'm not. I just feel you need to think of other ways to generate clients, rather than relying on the one place.

It will take time, but don't be disheartened. If you offer a good service, word will spread but it won't happen overnight.

Good Luck

thanks, I do understand relying on one source wouldn't work but as I said in my post above I was looking for tried and tested ways of doing this, I didn't for a moment expect to get all my clients from one source and if I could think of ways I would do them, unfortunately I have a talent but not the best business mind which is why I came on the business geek asking for some help and suggestions, again as I already stated I don't expect a quick fix overnight success and totally understand it takes time but just need some help to get the ball rolling by getting at least a handful of clients who can then help my business grow by recommendation etc

Hi again
You didn't say previously that you worked full time and had a toddler, this may be your issue.

What is your availability for appointments? Something to think about. Lots of people have portfolio careers, running two completely different jobs getting the balance can be tricky. Balancing being able to bring in an income while growing a business takes skill.

It may not be anything more than that, not having available appointment slots.

I am available evenings and weekends, which I would of thought are the most popular times anyway

Although as I haven't had any calls or enquiries no one would know this , for all they know I could b available all day every day

I am available evenings and weekends, which I would of thought are the most popular times anyway

Although as I haven't had any calls or enquiries no one would know this , for all they know I could b available all day every day

They are for me, Im mobile & most of my ladies work so evening appointments go quite quickly. Like you say they would have to call to know this first tho.

Are you on yell.com? Google places? Do you have a website?

If you are in yell.com, do you have photos of your beauty room? Same for website? Xx

I would also drop business cards off at dental surgeries and doctors surgeries, patients are always looking at leaflets etc while waiting for their apts.

Even though as a dental nurse I can't wear polish while working as soon as Friday evening comes the polish goes on and doesn't come off until the night before I'm due back on duty.

All the nurses and receptionists I've worked with are really into their beauty treatments so it maybe worth popping along to some surgeries and maybe offering a staff discount?

thanks so much for all your suggestions, I did consider the docs but wasn't sure so I will defo do that :)

what do you think about banks/travel agents/beauty counters within departments stores, these would be women who like/need to have nice hands and nails, anyone tried approaching these if so how?

anyone ever tried putting posters/leaflets in their local chippy, sounds a bit odd but the one by me does put adverts on the wall

also any idea what shops/post offices charge for putting ads up these days and do they work?

Google "nails in blah town" and see what comes up. Then register yourself on all the free sites that come up.

Do you have a website?

Do you have a local hair salon that does not do beauty?

Do you keep your work facebook page regularly updated?

I'd advise doing a leaflet drop round the houses in your area, yes it's hard work and boring but leaflet drops have really built my business.

Keep at it, work hard and you will get there. It is a long hard slog though x

I really do appreciate your comments but do leaflets drops and shop window advertising really work?? even my educators from my courses said these are a waste of time esp the leaflet drops, apparentley its a lot of work for not much come back, think the ratio is 1000 leaflets gets 1 booking

Just wanted to say I have had a massive response from my leaflet drops. I ask on my consultation form how they heard of me and I'm astounded at how successful it's been. I started up in a new area without a client base so I couldn't be happier! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Leaflet drops work wonders.... Xx

Latest posts

Back