Best adhesive for fabric?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amber~

Reaction score
I have a few questions about fabric wraps, and I really want to get this down pat before I head back to school in a couple weeks. I can do fabric wraps and make them look really good, but when I do them on myself (ive not done them on anyone else) the adhesive always lifts around the cuticles! Im not sure if its me or the adhesive..Im using IBD gel adhesive, but is there any other adhesive out there thats really good for wraps? Also, is there a certain different way to prep the nail, or should I just clear away from cuticle area, push cuticle back, and apply dehydrator? Thanks in advance :)

which brand of fibreglass system are you using?
i use Fabric# from designer nails, there are 3 types of resin for the system, there is a fab tutorial here
are you using a good cuticle remover on the nail plate?
the prep is the foundation for the building of the nail, if you click on the word prep it takes you to a fab tutorial by GMG.
it could be that your resin is too close to the skin/cuticle area hence why you are getting the lifting.
have a read of the 2 tutorials and let us know how you get on.
hth's
xx

Im dont think Im using a "system", I just bought some fiberglass and IBD gel resin, lol. I would love to get some scrubfresh when I have some extra cash though, but until then, should I use primer for wraps? Not too sure on that.

had a look at your profile Amber and see you are a 'nail tech student', it might be best to ask your educator which system they recommend you use (for the time being anyway).
scrubfresh is very reasonably priced, especially when you consider the job it does.
do you use any kind of anti-bacterial solution at all?... i mean something with pathogen fighters etc etc?

i've been sat here thinking about your post...
IBD is primarily a gel system, recently they added what they term as 'acrylic alternatives' too. http://www.ibdbeauty.com/products/acrylicalternatives.asp

I would imagine that none of their adhesives would be suitable for fibreglass... not sure about it as I don't use any of IBD's products, hopefully another Geek will be able to help out.

I appreciate the information you've given so far. Im not too sure on asking the instructor at school, she has one of those dont really care attitudes, not fun to be around. She is simply teaching us the basics of things and I guess we are supposed to figure the rest out on our own. I wish there were another school around my area, but there isnt. I guess I should go buy some of the adhesive that goes with the wraps..? I figured IBD would be better all around, but I guess Ill just have to try the adhesive that goes with the fabric. The thing I didnt like with the adhesive we use at school is that it just runs everywhere when you apply it to a wrap..gets all over the sides of the nails and the cuticles, and theres simply no way to prevent it from running. IBD gel resin doesnt run, its on a brush and you have more control, but I just dont want to spend money on an adhesive and find out that it does the same things the ones at school do. :confused:

Latest posts

Back